Poll

Do you push the limits, and take chances? or keep within the boundaries of what grows with minimal effort?

You Know your limits.  It takes Minimal effort to maintain your plants.  Your collection thrives where you live with virtually no need for caretaking.
You might Push it to the limit. It may take a Medium amount of effort to maintain your plants.  You take small risks and try new plants that might not work in your area/climate region.
You Push the limits.  You keep trying to grow all these poor plants, that shouldn't grow at your location on this planet.

Author Topic: Limitations: Push thy limits, or know thy boundaries?  (Read 12131 times)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Limitations: Push thy limits, or know thy boundaries?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »
I rate myself as a B with dreams of being a C. I have tented and light bulbed my jackfruit tree when mid 30s are forecasted.  I am dreaming about four or five years from now raising and covering a 45' x 45' area 3 feet, filled with slightly acidic soil, that I can keep in the 40s in winter. Give MikeT's durian theories a test, chempedak, mangosteen, pulsans, etc.
Brandon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »
Haha!
thanks Oscar.

I've really been enjoying it to!

Its my form of conducting market research...LOL

Great thread you started Adam! I'm really enjoying it. More fun than going to an AA meeting.  ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 06:18:47 PM »
Steven, I somehow kept thinking Madiera was in the Pacific near Fiji.

I'm a B. I'll try things but don't go as far as keeping things in a green house. I don't try what I think are more common like stone fruits and mangoes. Mangoes seem messy and stone fruits have moths and borers and all sorts of infestations that needs spraying which I don't like to do.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »
I rated myself as a B. I occasionally will get something like Cupassu and try to grow it out in SoCal. It usually ends up in dead plant, so now I take smaller risks. I am aiming for rarer tasty fruits and decent yields in containers, that can be grown outside with minimal extra protection.

Things like Opuntia sp., prickly pears I view as rare (in the stores), tasty and productive. I like trying experimental things, like Marula in containers as well. Also got a good collection of sub tropical fruits like guavas, mangoes, bananas, etc. I don't worry about these unless the temps start lowering past the high 30s.

I like growing tasty things adapted to the climate as well like; olives, pomegranates, figs, etc. I find these pretty much indestructible.

Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 06:49:54 PM »

I'm a B. I'll try things but don't go as far as keeping things in a green house. I don't try what I think are more common like stone fruits and mangoes. Mangoes seem messy and stone fruits have moths and borers and all sorts of infestations that needs spraying which I don't like to do.

Hi Fang,
  :o ;D ;D ;D ;D I wish...I'm more Mediterranean, than Pacific  ;D 
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 06:56:37 PM »

Hi Fang,

Steven,

At least you don't have the bugs of the tropics :). Mediterranean with no freeze is one of the best growing climates, as long as there is irrigated water access. We just can't grow Durian, Breadfruit, Coconuts, and the ultra tropicals.

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
Steven,

At least you don't have the bugs of the tropics :). Mediterranean with no freeze is one of the best growing climates, as long as there is irrigated water access. We just can't grow Durian, Breadfruit, Coconuts, and the ultra tropicals.

One of the (admittedly few) benefits of zone-denial is not having to deal with the insects and fungal diseases of the plants' zone of origin.  It seems there's always other insects willing to step in and munch on your plants though... 

Conden

• South B.I. Hawaii, 3600 ft. zone 11
    • Big Island Hawaii, 96737, zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »
I would say I'm an A-, since the lowlands are very close by, there is really no reason for me to go to extreme lengths to grow something that I can buy fifteen minutes down the hill.  Then again, there is no guidebook written specifically for my microclimate, so I didn't realize bananas wouldn't work until a friend gave me a bundle of pups and I wasted a lot of time on them.  I should note, however, that living in an arid climate with poor soil, there are no fruit trees I currently grow that will live without irrigation and fertilization, regardless of how adapted they are to my temperatures.  So, I still have to take care of them. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 07:45:11 PM »
I would say I'm an A-, since the lowlands are very close by, there is really no reason for me to go to extreme lengths to grow something that I can buy fifteen minutes down the hill.  Then again, there is no guidebook written specifically for my microclimate, so I didn't realize bananas wouldn't work until a friend gave me a bundle of pups and I wasted a lot of time on them.  I should note, however, that living in an arid climate with poor soil, there are no fruit trees I currently grow that will live without irrigation and fertilization, regardless of how adapted they are to my temperatures.  So, I still have to take care of them.

You can see bananas growing in Waimea, so they will deifinitely grow at your elevation, just a whole lot slower. Also you need to get cold hardy varieities of banana.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 07:51:28 PM »
I had better come clean and say I have been pushing the envelope lately.This is mostly related to mail at the australia post office.I will keep you guys posted.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 07:53:13 PM »
I had better come clean and say I have been pushing the envelope lately.This is mostly related to mail at the australia post office.I will keep you guys posted.

HAHAHA You're a very good envelope pusher. Keep up the good work!  ;D
Oscar

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 10:03:43 PM »
I am definitely a zone pusher, I just wish I had more time to tend to my fruit trees. I barely have time to water my small garden.

I've recently been keeping my temperate Chilean plants inside for the hot Summer months, and soon I'll be bringing in my mangosteen and other ultratrops for the Winter.

This is my latest technique to avoid killing them!

Jaime

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 10:12:41 PM »
very true!

also u can have fresh  fruits when no one else has them, and in an area where no one else has them either!

I was king of Guanabana fruits this year, king of central FL that is!  I had a local monopoly on the fruit!
Steven,

One of the (admittedly few) benefits of zone-denial is not having to deal with the insects and fungal diseases of the plants' zone of origin.  It seems there's always other insects willing to step in and munch on your plants though...
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »

also u can have fresh  fruits when no one else has them, and in an area where no one else has them either!

I was king of Guanabana fruits this year, king of central FL that is!  I had a local monopoly on the fruit!

First you get the fruits, then you get the power, then you get the weemen  ;)

Although in my case the better quote is probably 'King Sh#t of Turd Island', as noone has any idea what these strange fruits Im growing are...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 11:15:53 PM »
right right Bmc,

most rare fruits would be of little interest to the majority of people.

but now this is slowly changing it seems!
the public seems to be interested in new food items and are becoming bored with the same old fruits!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 11:22:53 PM »

First you get the fruits, then you get the power, then you get the weemen  ;)

Although in my case the better quote is probably 'King Sh#t of Turd Island', as noone has any idea what these strange fruits Im growing are...

Within the public at large you may be considered a weirdo, but here in this forum you're just a regular kinda guy!  ;) Welcome home.!
Oscar

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2012, 11:39:20 PM »
A risk taker.....I'm a slave to my trees...my wife tells me they are just mangos :-\

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 09:35:27 AM »
Hi Fang,
Steven,

Hi Nullzero,
Most definitely...it's a breeze to grow in the Mediteranean :) Though, i also agree with Kevin...There is always insects that will kindly take the offer and molest them trees and plants...Latest develope, Found a few brown weevil's munching on the coffee plant >:( Nothing serious, just a few nibbles...phew :) I deal with them on the spot ;)

What's really a pain in the ass, with no doubt...leaf miners!!! >:( They make growing citrus, a bit hard :'( They ain't native...introduced by neglect >:(

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »
Yeah the leaf miners... hate them as well.