Author Topic: Fairchild Farm Strange Mangoes  (Read 2932 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Fairchild Farm Strange Mangoes
« on: November 11, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »
Recently enjoyed a tour of the Fairchild Farm. Dr. Ledesma was kind enough to show us around the property. Lots of amazing and rare fruits. Many cultivars of mango and sapodilla I had never heard of. Particularly interesting was the mango research she is doing.

Here are some pics of mango hybrids and other mango projects she is working on.

Was sad to hear that funding has really dwindled. Hope that she and others like her will continue to conduct research and advance the field.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:10:50 AM by roblack »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Fairchild Farm Strange Mangoes
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »

check out the color on the new growth of this one!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 10:20:09 AM »
Thanks for sharing, I’m especially excited about her new hybrid Mangos bred for increased disease resistance. My friend just visited Dr Ledesma and she is a very passionate Mango lover.

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 11:50:31 AM »
Hey Simon. Yeah, she is really into mangoes and other tropical fruit. I am too, so it was a very nice visit.

Evidently they have identified different genes for disease resistance and cold resistance.

Mangoes may be coming to North Florida soon.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
Can you tell us anything about the different hybrids?
Color, parentage. Did she mention anything flavor

markinnaples

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 01:39:41 PM »
The research that Dr Ledesma is doing is amazing, cutting edge work. Is the red new growth one of the rubropetala hybrids?

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
I think someone posted a video about these, arent they indica x casturi hybrids?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 09:51:15 PM »
thanks everyone. I do not know what varieties she was mixing, and cannot id any plants from the pics. Not sure, but don't think I saw the casturi or kuini mother plants. Some of the hybrids she had were probably from them. I tried to get more info in the limited time we had.

She told me that one of her sapodillas blew all of the other ones out of the water, including alano and silas woods. They were almost ready.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 09:58:16 AM »

This is a little kuini (m. odorata) that a fellow forum member was kind enough to share with me. The color on the new growth leads me to believe that "yes", several of the hybrids pictured must be of kuini mixed with mango. 

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 01:20:37 PM »
I've got some species mango & colorful new growth (blood red) occurs in a few of them so it is not strictly a kuini trait.  Kuini does color up well & it does hold the color until the leaves are quite large but it is not the only one with good color.  I don't recall for sure which do, I'll have to take a look & comment later.

I had done a posting about flush color in mangoes (indica) to see if anyone know of cultivars that have nice color in new growth & I think I got no response on this.  I have a seedling mango that has very good color but not quite as strong as some of the other species.  (This one is just destined to be top worked with choice mango cultivars.)  None of my "choice" mango cultivars have very good color in new growth -- I would think that there must be some good clones that have good color as well.

John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 01:48:20 PM »
That's good to know, as I haven't seen that distinct of coloration in new growth before.

A nice sized tree with new growth colored up like that would be beautiful.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 09:58:16 PM »
This is a previous thread on their breeding efforts.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=24670.msg293374#msg293374

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 06:45:17 PM »
I've got some species mango & colorful new growth (blood red) occurs in a few of them so it is not strictly a kuini trait.  Kuini does color up well & it does hold the color until the leaves are quite large but it is not the only one with good color.  I don't recall for sure which do, I'll have to take a look & comment later.

I had done a posting about flush color in mangoes (indica) to see if anyone know of cultivars that have nice color in new growth & I think I got no response on this.  I have a seedling mango that has very good color but not quite as strong as some of the other species.  (This one is just destined to be top worked with choice mango cultivars.)  None of my "choice" mango cultivars have very good color in new growth -- I would think that there must be some good clones that have good color as well.

John

I need to holoholo your farm one day.