Author Topic: Toddy Palm confusion  (Read 1219 times)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Toddy Palm confusion
« on: July 29, 2017, 07:29:40 PM »
Does anyone know the botanical name of the palms in this video?

https://youtu.be/v5PbvuLP2r4?t=3m23s

They are calling them Toddy Palms but when I look them up it says they are Borassus fabellifer. It seems like there is some confusion within this genus. I thought I saw B. fabellifer here in Florida but they were massive. They had the fan leaves and looked like a T Rex was going pop out from behind them. Maybe those were Borassus aethiopum.

Either way, I would love to be able to pound down a few fresh toddy drinks after a longs days work in the yard. They seem to be moderately cold hardy as well.
-Josh

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Toddy Palm confusion
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 08:01:58 PM »
Those are coconuts they are tapping in the video.
Toddy palm is Borassus fabelliferus. The borassus is tapped in the same way as coconut to make sugar and also to make toddy wine, and toody spirits (high grade alcohol). The same can be done with coconut. This is common practice in India, Malaysia, Indonesia,Thailand, Myanmar, etc.
Yes the plants you saw in Florida are probably Borassus aethiopium. The trees i saw in Fairchild gardens were Borassus aethiopium. You can probably make smae products from it. But the fruits from aethiopium are smaller and not as good as fabelliferus.
You can see lots of info in the forum previously posted about this and photos by doing a forum search.
Oscar

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 09:21:50 PM »
Well that would certainly explain why I couldn't ID the palms from the video. From what I could find out the B. flabellifer is somewhat cold hardy, possibly into the mid - high 20s. I haven't really paid much attention to palms besides coconuts and some baby Areca catechu that I have. I wonder if there are a bunch of these around that I am not noticing. The row at my buddies place on Pine Island are most likely Borassus aethiopum which should be fruiting soon. They are quite tall.

Here is the most helpful thread I found in my limited searching.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/52298-anyone-growing-borassus-flabellifer-outdoors-in-the-us/

These should be planted everywhere they can grow.

Those are coconuts they are tapping in the video.
Toddy palm is Borassus fabelliferus. The borassus is tapped in the same way as coconut to make sugar and also to make toddy wine, and toody spirits (high grade alcohol). The same can be done with coconut. This is common practice in India, Malaysia, Indonesia,Thailand, Myanmar, etc.
Yes the plants you saw in Florida are probably Borassus aethiopium. The trees i saw in Fairchild gardens were Borassus aethiopium. You can probably make smae products from it. But the fruits from aethiopium are smaller and not as good as fabelliferus.
You can see lots of info in the forum previously posted about this and photos by doing a forum search.
-Josh

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 09:33:38 PM »
I agree toddy palm is a great palm that should be planted lots more.
Some of the reasons it isn't:
seeds very hard to get, very low germination, quite large seeds. Palms are very slow growing and take long time to come into fruiting. But they are extremely vigorous and will grow where nothing else will grow, like extremely hot and arid areas.
Myanmar (Burma) had more square miles of them planted than anywhere else i've seen. There they are used for everything, not just food--including making furniture out of the sheaths and lumber.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk