Author Topic: Shiranui Mandarin Available  (Read 24081 times)

krsnakumari

• California. 8
    • View Profile
Re: Shiranui Mandarin Available
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2016, 02:30:10 PM »
Second the thanks to millet on clarification and great news for all those impatiently waiting for it !!!  Happy Propagatiing. - Shiranui is Dekopon....   #notSumo
-krsnakumari

Yes thank you Millet, the shiranui is an unregistered/untrademarked form of the dekopon. It has just became available through the Citrus Clonal Protection Program and the minimum order of buds is 6 and the max is 12 it is on early release. I am planning on using some Sour orange rootstock to graft it onto  ;)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2016, 02:52:53 PM »
If I remember correctly, blood oranges don't seem to color up well in Florida? - Millet

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2016, 03:55:37 PM »
If I remember correctly, blood oranges don't seem to color up well in Florida? - Millet

Yes, that is correct.   Galka is a little further north than the main citrus region so i was curious if that made a difference.
- Rob

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2016, 04:34:22 PM »
Yes, this is from my tree. It's first fruiting time and sorry no pics on this one. I had the fruits on the tree for too long (I think) till they fell off. There could be a few factors such: the tree was labeled Blood orange (who knows which one), the fruits got some fungus issues on the skin because of too much rain last year (?), and the skin started to darken after the last prolonged freeze (we got low temps for 5 or 6 hours). It looks ugly outside and it was yellow inside with some red coloring around each section.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2016, 09:08:57 PM »
How did the skin darken, natural coloration or cold damage?  It is common for Blood Oranges to have some deep reddish blush/coloration on the skin.
- Rob

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2016, 03:00:44 AM »
No, it's not a cold damage, it's natural coloration. It changed the color after the cold from yellow to brownish red. The damage is the fungus that appeared on the skin when the fruit was still green. Can I prevent that in the future somehow? Is there any treatment for this? Never had it before.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2016, 11:19:06 AM »
Galka, I doubt that the peel color is due to a fungus.  As Bsbullie wrote, blood oranges commonly have reddish colored peels and pulp.  This is because blood oranges produce a chemical called anthocyanins, a family of antioxidant pigments common to many flowers and fruits, but somewhat uncommon to citrus. What is required for anthocyanins to turn color is cold weather, usually during the night.  If a blood orange is grown at continual warm temperatures the fruit will never turn red.  Enjoy the fruit of your labor.- Millet

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2016, 02:04:38 AM »
Thank you Millet.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2017, 08:57:45 AM »
For the people that started Shiranui from seeds:

Chance seedling of Decopon started 15 years ago, it tastes more like Buntan pomelo!
http://www.fruttama.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=783
Best regards,
                       Ilya

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2017, 12:59:55 AM »
Chance seedling of Decopon started 15 years ago, it tastes more like Buntan pomelo!
So it's pretty acidic then?

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2017, 03:35:39 AM »
For the people that started Shiranui from seeds:

As I understand from original page, he thinks, that it is seeds from open pollinated fruit, may be dekopon pollinated with pomelo or so.
On another hand here is a picture from asian plantation, where some mutations occured at dekopon trees, it looks like dekopon is unstable cross.

The description on original Asian facebook page is  "shiranui with mutant"

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2017, 04:40:07 PM »
Shiranui is now being dispersed to hobbyists through the CCPP though they have put a restriction of 1 budstick per order regardless of whether you ordered 6 or 12 scions, my budwood cut date is tomorrow, and i will receive my budwood on wednesday morning as long as no delays happen.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2017, 12:10:34 AM »
That's great! I put in an order for budwood as well, but should be at a later date, maybe next few months? My friend who ordered in December got contacted about expecting it.

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2017, 02:28:20 AM »
Yea I ordered mine on December 2015 so you should be getting yours soon, how are your grafting skills fylui??

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2017, 01:56:39 PM »
I have good luck with budding and grafting citrus this year. It helps a lot if the rootstock is healthy when you graft.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2017, 04:53:06 PM »
The photos of cross section shiranui that Ilya11 show look like grapefruit rind/albedo. It is mandarin citrus reticulata so the white rind part should be threadlike, no? This one just looks dense and thick like grapefruit to me. Is it easy to peel?

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2017, 06:09:54 PM »
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2017, 09:29:20 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the pic and the link, Ilya11.

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »
Got my shiranui bud wood this morning so went to a few home improvement stores and a nursery looking for some good rootstock and man were the Pickings slim tons of Meyers and Mexican likes but looked like their own roots I ended up buying a 5' trovita orange on C-35 rootstock the grafting went good the bark was slipping so I decided to T bud graft the c35 with 3 buds I was hoping to get a much smaller tree but it had the nicest straightest trunk so I got it.

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »
It seems it can be peeled rather easily:

Google translation of the Italian discussion:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=fr&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fruttama.it%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D10%26t%3D783&sandbox=1

the sumo mandarins we get at the stores here look nothing like that inside. much less of that white skin. I'll take a pic when I get the chance.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2017, 05:56:18 PM »
Got my shiranui bud wood this morning so went to a few home improvement stores and a nursery looking for some good rootstock and man were the Pickings slim tons of Meyers and Mexican likes but looked like their own roots I ended up buying a 5' trovita orange on C-35 rootstock the grafting went good the bark was slipping so I decided to T bud graft the c35 with 3 buds I was hoping to get a much smaller tree but it had the nicest straightest trunk so I got it.
Did you initially order 6 or 12 buds?
I got my "6 buds" too. There's only 5 actual buds on the stick but it should be enough.
I ordered only last month after hearing people were being contacted about the availability this month, so I should be at the end of the waiting list. This means all the orders were sent out already.

Everybody, go order yours at www.ccpp.ucr.edu and you might receive them next month.

Badfish8696

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2017, 05:20:18 PM »
Finally received 6 buds (ordered 12) of Shiranui from UCR last week, it's been a long wait. T-budded them onto C-35 seedlings, for my first grafting attempt it seemed to go fine. Now I  just have to wait and hope.

If those grafts end up sticking I plan to get some other budwood of varieties I can't find at nurseries.

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2017, 11:25:02 PM »
Where can one get C-35?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2017, 12:08:07 AM »
VLAD, rootstock seeds, or live seedling plants are available, but unfortunately no one that I know of sells either in small lots.  You can purchase C-35 seed from a company called Lyn Citrus Seed but they have a minimum of 1-quart (4,000 seeds), and you can purchase live C-35 seedlings trees from Tree Source Nursery minimum 1,000 plants.   
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:54:57 PM by Millet »

Thomasha

• USA, Ca, Granada hills, z10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2017, 02:41:10 AM »
Anyone from Southern California would like to update on their shiranui mandarin? Pease post your picture and share with us please? I am new to this website but I will post my grafted shiranui soon.