Author Topic: Frederick Passion Fruit has fruits!  (Read 2204 times)

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
Frederick Passion Fruit has fruits!
« on: June 17, 2019, 04:36:25 PM »
Wow, she has three fruits for Papa! Didn’t know it until I upgraded her pot!

Frederick Passion Fruit. Compact ideally suited for container growing and cold hardy to our zone. Even though I would pass this up as a temperate fruit, it does well in tropical climes where it's more endemic.

0pf1 by Joe Real, on Flickr

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Passion Fruit has fruits!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 05:17:18 PM »
This is anything but a compact grower, haha. Although it can handle 9b it is s tropical and you should care to protect it from frost, especially in a pot.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 06:10:47 PM »
Those fredricks get to be massive in size if you put it in the ground.  Its so vigorous, most likely will not be happy for long in a pot. 
Brad Spaugh

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 08:30:54 PM »
I had Frederick in San Jose 9b it grew like a weed and was huge always by end of summer. People loved or hated the fruit when they tried it for first time

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 08:39:26 PM »
This is my fredrick on the fence, its all one plant.  I keep it trimmed to 50ft of fence but it would easily cover 100ft. 

Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 08:44:58 PM »
This is anything but a compact grower, haha. Although it can handle 9b it is s tropical and you should care to protect it from frost, especially in a pot.
It might not be a compact grower but Mr Joe its not an average gardener.He is an expert in keeping the plants in a restricted area.Like here: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32018.msg352239#msg352239

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 09:07:15 PM »
What do you do with the fruit?  I like the juice but I cant get over the “jelly eggs” texture.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 10:49:23 PM »
I have a purple passion fruit of unknown variety. I keep it restrained to a 16ft cattle panel and it's LOADED. Mine didn't freeze back as we had a mild winter. Will see how it does next year but id say it's a great fruit for the Sacramento valley
-Kris

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 05:19:40 AM »
Hi, my Frederick still without buds and flowers. I sowed the seeds in the winter, and now it looks like this. It is in Russia!

❀ Sergey ❀

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 05:31:47 AM »
Despite what some nurseries suggest, Fredrick is far from true to seed.
Many of mine share that same trait as yours, oversized, off-textured leaves.

JoeReal

• View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 11:34:58 AM »
One of my Best Of Show wines is Passion Fruit! I got the fruits from a friend growing it in Ventura County, and it is so aromatic. So it got me interested in growing one of these one day, and here I am, already have fruits. It has survived our winter here. I am hoping it is aromatic.

There are ways to make your passion fruit compact and productive. It is almost the same as growing grapes in a container. Controlled girdling of the main trunk should control its roots and produce more fruits while remaining compact with a little pruning.  If you remember my post about bark inversion, that is one of the techniques used for dwarfing plants with definite bark. In case it doesn't have definite bark, mild girdling is the next best thing and is a standard practice for table grape production.

This Frederick passion fruit is my first experiment on growing these, and surely I will experiment on it. But what I'd really like is the most aromatic passion fruit available in the world, and I hope you can point me to the best cultivar. I don't really care about the sweetness of the passion fruits, only the aroma, because I'm a winemaker. Passion fruits can impart the best fruity aroma to any white wines, especially if you use real fresh fruit juices applied during the final but slow fermentation phase.

JoeReal

• View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 11:37:58 AM »
It might not be a compact grower but Mr Joe its not an average gardener.He is an expert in keeping the plants in a restricted area.Like here: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32018.msg352239#msg352239

Thanks! You got that right! Already I gave my tip on how to make compact vines such as grapes and now this, the passion fruit.