Author Topic: Success planting an Avocado after 8 years of failures and 5 dead trees!  (Read 50842 times)

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
Re: Success planting an Avocado after 8 years of failures and 5 dead trees!
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2017, 03:00:06 PM »
Ive got several reed seedlings going.  They need a lot of heat to get started.  They do take 6 to 8 weeks to pop up.  Reed trees also seem to take super hot dry conditions no problem.

Most of the trees available in san diego nurseries are on polinator rootstock.  Mostly zutano or bacon seeds are used for rootstocks here.

That's very good to know. If there's one thing Vegas never has a shortage of, its super hot and dry conditions.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Avinsmith

• Viet Nam
    • View Profile
    • Www.facebook.com/avnsmith
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2017, 02:00:49 AM »
Is lambhass avocado?
I have 500 tree include 034, Lamhass, pinmetton,Gem
And i have to wait one year to harvest.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2018, 06:07:19 PM »
I’ve had been contemplating (after hanging in my mind for over 2 plus years) to practice what Simon (and maybe others) preached on growing Avocado with this direct seed in the ground planting method, with no soil amendment added. (I hear you too, Mark!).
So, yesterday, after seeing that my Fuerte seeds in the moist bag showing some roots, I grabbed one and buried it in the ground.

Now, lets see if I can find another spot somewhere in the yard so I can squeeze in another one…
Sam

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2018, 09:39:56 PM »
It’s ok to loosen the soil a bit to allow the roots push through compacted soil. Once you bury it with native soil, it is ok to put a top dress of Sulfur if the pH of your soil is too low but it’s probabl not required. Avocado also love to be mulched. Please keep us updated on how it grows for you.

I’ve had several people pm me about their success growing direct planted seedlings after failing with nursery trees.

Simon

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2018, 11:53:27 PM »
Yes, I will update this as it goes along. The idea of placing 2 seeds in "a hole" (to get smaller tree and saving yard space) is also got me interested, as well as trying to do the epicotyl grafting later on.

I appreciate your continuing effort to give valuable advice, Simon!
Sam

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2018, 07:40:18 AM »
Sounds like fun Sam!  Am old fashion, I use the toothpick method, have about 20 going after loosing about 200 avocados which were immature.  Couple have rooted.  I make sure that there is a good size hole in the dirt or pot where I can slip the root radicle in and not damage it.

Good luck!

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2018, 05:15:58 AM »
I must have missed the answer to this somewhere. Why shouldnt you amend the soil when planting avocados?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »
I must have missed the answer to this somewhere. Why shouldnt you amend the soil when planting avocados?

We're talking clay soils only.  It creates a pot that holds water thereby drowning the tree.  Roots get comfortable and will not explore the native soil because folks fail to take corrective action before planting.  First they glaze the clay hole with a post hole digger or shovel and fail to fracture the sides and bottom.  Only native soil used as backfill will seal that hole from the top and prevent it from becoming a non draining clay pot.  The key is surface drainage whether that be a natural slope, raised bed, or mound.

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2018, 07:26:52 PM »
Ah gotcha. Thanks Mike.