Author Topic: Any Info on Cotton Candy Mango?  (Read 25974 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Any Info on Cotton Candy Mango?
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 11:30:07 PM »
Future, is Cotton Candy polyembryonic?

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 01:11:31 PM »
Future, is Cotton Candy polyembryonic?

Simon

Yes.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 03:49:41 PM »
Thanks Future, now I remember you mentioning it was polyembryonic in another thread.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 08:00:50 PM »
Cotton Candy from Florida. It was recently planted into my raised bed and I’m using it for scions and for seeds. It’s flowering heavily at about 2.5 feet tall and just as wide. The branches are weighed down with the weight of the blooms.

So far, the blooms are setting fruit with no evidence of any fungal diseases.

Simon

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 04:39:59 PM »
I would like to note an observation, that the cotton candy branches are really stiff compared to other mango varieties. Could be just mine. I am optimistic that in the long run this will be a good habit for holding fruit (?. Hopefully stiff doesn't mean it will snap instead bend in the future...?!?).  I have two planted with 24 feet, fed about the same. The branches are mine don't bend at the same diameter that other mango varieties would easily bend. This has made it harder to shape the tree with weights unless they are tied at a very young age.  I am comparing this against about 40 other varieties of mango.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:54:18 PM by FrankDrebinOfFruits »

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 08:13:00 AM »
Cotton Candy leafed out, Phoenix planted at same time has flowers...

Most everything else that age has bloomed so may be a bit slower to fruit.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 08:59:23 AM »
Cotton Candy from Florida. It was recently planted into my raised bed and I’m using it for scions and for seeds. It’s flowering heavily at about 2.5 feet tall and just as wide. The branches are weighed down with the weight of the blooms.

So far, the blooms are setting fruit with no evidence of any fungal diseases.

Simon

Amazing!  And if the branches hold fruit well like Frank noted that's even better.  Before the freeze I also noted that Cotton Candy tended to be much more compact than the other 7 on the same tree with short internode.  Compare that against the most vigorous and lanky, Pineapple Pleasure, which had very long internodes.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2018, 09:03:20 PM »
My Cotton Candy set a ton of fruitvfor such a small tree. I didn’t want it to flower but it did and since I have issues with grafted trees on Florida rootstock, I will let it hold a fruit or two in order to get seeds for planting. Cotton Candy blooms appear pretty disease resistant from what I’ve seen so far. My Lemon Zest just ten feet away got lots of Powdery Mildew.

The branches on my Cotton Candy are bending and dropping severely from the weight of the blooms and fruit.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »
The branches on my Cotton Candy are bending and dropping severely from the weight of the blooms and fruit.

Simon

Nice!  I'm supposed to get Cotton Candy sticks this week.   Ever tasted it?  Supposed to be a compact tree with sugar, complex fruit.   I've got 4 PIN mangos to topwork and a cocktail tree froze back to shoots kicking out of The turpentine rootstock.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 08:26:21 AM »
My cotton candy is an upright grower so far with less vigor than the Sweet Tart and just ahead of the Pickering   Not as precocious as either of these two either

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 06:39:38 PM »
My cotton candy is an upright grower so far with less vigor than the Sweet Tart and just ahead of the Pickering   Not as precocious as either of these two either

Thanks!  Exactly what I needed to know.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2018, 06:40:10 PM »
Mark, I’ve never tasted Cotton Candy before but maybe I will this year. This tree is tiny and I was hoping to harvest some nice scions off of it but it just flowered like crazy. I’m really hoping to get a seed for planting material.

Simon

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2018, 08:29:10 PM »
The only American cultivar I/we have is pina colada... I wish if we have more  :'(
Moh'd

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2018, 07:49:42 AM »
Mark, I’ve never tasted Cotton Candy before but maybe I will this year. This tree is tiny and I was hoping to harvest some nice scions off of it but it just flowered like crazy. I’m really hoping to get a seed for planting material.

Simon

Good luck with your projects.  Will be grafting Juicy Peach, Pineapple Pleasure, Sweet Tart, etc.   I had 3 mango trees, all but Mallika bit the dust during the freeze.  It's sending up 3 shoots from the Turpentine rootstock.   I'll be grafting, top working, to 4 PIN trees just received, 2 Pickering, Lemon Zest and Glenn.  Cotton Candy and perhaps Honey Kiss come in about a month.  Am excited, and have been a grafting fool.   Thanks to our mutual friend I did 13 avocado grafts.  Also put together a fine cherimoya cocktail tree which already has leaves as big as dinner plates, multi grafted my key lime to various fruits.

Check out these gnarly root systems on these young Sweet Tart and Lemon Zest stumps.  It took a lot of kneegrease and a sharpened shovel to get them out.

New Pierce leaf.  All 6 grafts took - Behl, Campas, Sabor, Pierce

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2018, 06:38:43 PM »
mark, keep up with prune regime on cherimoya, every 12" growth you cut off and strip, expose two nodes, that will force branching. otherwise you will have leggy plant. I let them grow 18-24" then cut them back to 12, you can use green harvested wood to graft again elsewhere :-)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2018, 07:33:25 AM »
mark, keep up with prune regime on cherimoya, every 12" growth you cut off and strip, expose two nodes, that will force branching. otherwise you will have leggy plant. I let them grow 18-24" then cut them back to 12, you can use green harvested wood to graft again elsewhere :-)

Well, it's about time then.  This thing is a beast.  Question - must you strip the leaf petioles off because the dormant buds reside behind where the petiole is attached?   If so, that goes against the grain of general tree physiology in my mind.  Take citrus for example, the dormant foliage bud lies in the axil or crotch above where the leaf petiole is attached.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2018, 07:36:55 AM »
Either stripping off leaves, petiole and all, or, clipping off the leaf blade, leaving the petiole, works equally well, as the petiole drops off in a few days.
Har

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2018, 07:57:50 AM »
Either stripping off leaves, petiole and all, or, clipping off the leaf blade, leaving the petiole, works equally well, as the petiole drops off in a few days.

Thanks.  I figured as much.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2018, 12:57:11 PM »

Simon

Good luck with your projects.  Will be grafting Juicy Peach, Pineapple Pleasure, Sweet Tart, etc.   I had 3 mango trees, all but Mallika bit the dust during the freeze.  It's sending up 3 shoots from the Turpentine rootstock.   I'll be grafting, top working, to 4 PIN trees just received, 2 Pickering, Lemon Zest and Glenn.  Cotton Candy and perhaps Honey Kiss come in about a month.  Am excited, and have been a grafting fool.   Thanks to our mutual friend I did 13 avocado grafts.  Also put together a fine cherimoya cocktail tree which already has leaves as big as dinner plates, multi grafted my key lime to various fruits.

Check out these gnarly root systems on these young Sweet Tart and Lemon Zest stumps.  It took a lot of kneegrease and a sharpened shovel to get them out.

New Pierce leaf.  All 6 grafts took - Behl, Campas, Sabor, Pierce

Mark, that’s an insanely huge root mass for a potted Mango in Texas, especially considering how young the tree was. Good luck with the grafting, I can’t wait to see what type of Frankenstein tree you come up with next.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2018, 03:11:16 PM »

Mark, that’s an insanely huge root mass for a potted Mango in Texas, especially considering how young the tree was. Good luck with the grafting, I can’t wait to see what type of Frankenstein tree you come up with next.

Simon

Yep, at least 2" roots on stock that was about 2 years old.

There is a huge misconception on how I grow or what I'm doing.  Everyone seems to think I'm growing in pots.  The pot is actually a raised bed that gives me a jump no one in native soil can match and then some.  It's bottomless  which means that not only do the roots root into native soil but those roots benefit from the water and salts that work there way down from the encapsulated food located at the very top.  It's strictly a win-win situation.

I focus on roots.  Rest of it comes in due time.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:13:57 PM by Mark in Texas »

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2019, 05:29:16 PM »

How did your cotton candy tree fair out in fruit production this year? 
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2019, 10:25:02 PM »
Has anyone had a good Cotton Candy Mango this season? I saw on the Truly Tropical videos that the samples were not perfectly ripe. CC has set fruit and appears to have good disease resistance in San Diego. Ive only had a premature fruit and I could taste the potential but I’ve never had a perfectly ripened one picked at full maturity and properly ripened.

I have two fruit hanging on my small potted tree but my little tree is on Florida rootstock and half the tree is dead so there aren’t many leaves to support the fruit. For a potted mango tree I would ideally like to have 70-80 leaves per fruit but my tree probably only has around 70-80 leaves on the entire tree with two fruit holding.

In case you’re wondering, I’m only letting it hold fruit at this small size because I already used this tree for scions so I’m not too concerned if it dies.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2019, 11:35:04 AM »
Here’s a picture of the Cotton Candy tree in bad shape holding a couple Mangos. I’m crossing my fingers that these Mangos will hold on the tree until the mango tasting. The shoulders are turning yellow so it’s ripening fast.

Simon

manicmango

• Ca (818), 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2019, 11:28:46 PM »
Here’s a picture of the Cotton Candy tree in bad shape holding a couple Mangos. I’m crossing my fingers that these Mangos will hold on the tree until the mango tasting. The shoulders are turning yellow so it’s ripening fast.

Simon

Simon what happened with your Cotton Candy mangos:? I'm thinking of getting a tree.... 9b los angeles

Parmindersingh

• USA/ Arizona / desert
    • View Profile
Dusari Mango
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2019, 11:31:45 PM »
Hello All
I am a novice got my first Mango tree in the backyard it’s a seven gallon . Planted in Phoenix area. Any recommendations regarding sulphur or thiamine or any other fertilizer . Any tips on care over the winter and watering needs . Thanks