Author Topic: Tagging trees  (Read 8325 times)

Dada

• Ecuador
    • View Profile
Tagging trees
« on: March 24, 2017, 12:04:39 PM »
Hi,
I have a question to all. What do you use for tagging trees. I used plastic tags and write on them with a permanent marker. But often after some time it fades out. Any hints on close to permanent labels will be appreciated!

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Re: Tagging trees
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 12:21:08 PM »
I cut soda cans into tags and scratch the name into the metal. Works for me - never fades and I have yet to have one rust.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 12:23:45 PM »
Make a map of your trees in your yard .
Mike

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 12:30:08 PM »
I use 1.5 x 1.5 inch aluminum cut from soda cans. Write the plant name on there with a permanent marker. Then punch holes on the written lettering.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 03:03:14 PM »
Hi,
I have a question to all. What do you use for tagging trees. I used plastic tags and write on them with a permanent marker. But often after some time it fades out. Any hints on close to permanent labels will be appreciated!

Had the same problem, even with the new extra permanent markers.

Now I use pencil, haven't had any problems with fading yet.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »
Moh'd

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 07:50:19 PM »
I use plastic tags, but I write with what are called 'Paint Markers'. These work fine. The writing does not fade over time.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 09:10:35 PM »
This topic comes up fairly often.  I use a Dymo Rhino 1011, which embosses letters onto stainless steel or aluminum tapes.  I have done hundreds of labels with it & I am happy with it.  I secure these with stakes I make from 1/2" PVC pipe & screw the label to the stake with a stainless screw (reg steel screws start to rust badly here in less than a year).  I like a "belt & suspenders" approach so I also maintain a map of the orchard.

Earlier discussion on this can be found here:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=10503.0;nowap

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 09:38:14 PM »
I use a Dymo Rhino 1011, which embosses letters onto stainless steel or aluminum tapes.
Nice industrial tool. Maybe slip the plastic pipe over a rebar for sturdiness. Everyone wants this for Christmas! I've been helping a new owner of a property which has several 100 trees some fairly uncommon and almost all are unlabeled with no records. This could have been avoided.
http://www.labelcity.com/DYMO-M1011-METAL-TAPE-EMBOSSER.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwh9PGBRCfso2n3ODgvUcSJAAhpW5ob6RmgeFQk_zMMKf2ZnAQJbGHy7mIXkbO5UudDPRQwBoCsPnw_wcB
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:40:43 PM by pineislander »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 10:00:59 PM »
I print out the name on 72pt font in WORD.  Then laminate it and staple it to a stake and put one at the base of each tree.  Ypu can get a laminate machine on amzon for 20$
Brad Spaugh

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 11:47:50 PM »
I bought some copper plant tags at a local nursery for about $9 for 20.  I then used a scrawl to etch the name into it.  I like the aluminum can ideal even better.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 06:56:48 PM »
Whatever permanent labels you decide to use it's also good to have a backup map, because some labels always get lost or damaged. Also a map allows you to look at all your plantings at once. Store the map on your hard drive and back up on flash drive or cloud drive. A map also allows you to have information that may not fit on your label, like date of acquisition ans source of acquisition.
Oscar

DocFruitFly

• Palmetto, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 10:02:39 AM »
Whatever permanent labels you decide to use it's also good to have a backup map, because some labels always get lost or damaged. Also a map allows you to look at all your plantings at once. Store the map on your hard drive and back up on flash drive or cloud drive. A map also allows you to have information that may not fit on your label, like date of acquisition ans source of acquisition.

Great advice! This is what I am using - http://youtu.be/SKKnCvMsMh8.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 04:39:35 AM »
Nice signs! I think that would be too time consuming for me as i have too many hundreds of trees. Do you hire out?  ;D 
One question, shouldn't you use some pipe adhesive between sign coupling and stake to make sure the sign doesn't pop off or "walk" off?
Oscar

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 01:30:05 PM »
Hi,

Problem was solved for me when I started using Aluminum Plant Label Tree Tags (deluxe version of cutting up an aluminum can).

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Plant-Outdoor-Marker-Labels/dp/B00TQMQ4TO

I found a smaller quantity being sold on eBay.

Note: You will need to upgrade the wire provided.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 02:17:37 PM »
I'm using plastic label stakes large enough to write the fruit and cultivar, and use outdoor industrial CaseMate Permanent marker to avoid fading, and then spray them with exterior clearcoat to protect them from weather.

Works great and have held up for years.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 07:48:02 PM »
Stainless steel military "dog tags"; I use an engraving tool.  It will last a lifetime.  You can also use the tag's stainless steel chain to connect them to the tree branch.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

DocFruitFly

• Palmetto, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 01:13:13 PM »
Nice signs! I think that would be too time consuming for me as i have too many hundreds of trees. Do you hire out?  ;D 
One question, shouldn't you use some pipe adhesive between sign coupling and stake to make sure the sign doesn't pop off or "walk" off?

Hey Oscar

I haven't used any glue as they fit on pretty snug so the wind isn't a problem. If someone really wanted to steal them they could just pull up the stake. Also it makes it easier if I need to replace them.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 09:27:05 AM »
I cut up aluminum cans and use a small hole punch. I make thousands of tags so I need something cheap and permanent. I attach the tags with 17 g aluminum wire that is marketed for electric fences. $5 for 250 feet.

I also have coding system with numbers/letters that I use in a spreadsheet so I can enter as much information and update as needed.

Here is a 40 in 1 espaliered Annona that jingles like a wind chime.

This is how I attach them to the pots.

EXTREMELY UTILITARIAN. 
-Josh

bbudd

• thailand,chiang rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 10:44:39 AM »
What I've been useing is a alluminum drink can cut into strips about 1 inch by 2 inches
I use a pen and press hard-it scores the name into the metal
Makes it easy to read no matter how long it stays out in the weather

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 04:01:22 PM »
Make a map of your trees in your yard .

+1! A map costs nothing, can be updated, won't girdle a branch, and can be handed to a Realtor if you sell your house :-)
Regards,

Gary

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 05:02:38 PM »

+1! A map costs nothing, can be updated, won't girdle a branch, and can be handed to a Realtor if you sell your house :-)

A map is not very good for keeping track of grafted branches on a cocktail tree.   :-\

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 01:23:30 PM »
I bought my daughter a 3D printer in 2015 and it recently dawned on me I could print custom labels with it.  The cultivar name is printed right into the label using a hollowed out section and I stake them into the ground.  Will last for a lifetime.  Costs about $1.25 each.  Waiting an hour for each print is about the only issue.  While I  wouldn't buy a printer just for this if you have one already it is quite useful.  I use t glase media as it has no toxic smell when printing. 

With some ingenuity, I am sure a branch specific design could be done.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 09:13:51 AM »
All my trees and bushes (almost 200) are in my greenhouse, and I have very carefully written on the large plastic plant markers with paint pens.  Common name on one side, latin name on the other side.  Look great!  Until I was watering one day and turned my back on my two-year-old grandson (he is grandkid #8, so you think I would have known better!).  He quickly and efficiently gathered up all my stakes, deposited them in my rose basket and presented them to me!  Of course, he looked so darned cute, happily carrying his little "Melissa and Doug" chameleon watering can, how could I be mad at him?  Have everything unscrambled except some of the citrus...

Carolyn

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 06:28:47 PM »
As mentioned above, these aluminum tags are great to fill the need. The metal is soft enough to indent the with normal writing from a ball point pen. 50 of them for $10. Really hard to beat.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardening-Durability-Applications-Emboss-Aluminum/dp/B01LP3KFWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507674373&sr=8-1&keywords=aluminum+tree+tags