Author Topic: GMO Papaya/Solo Papayas in Florida  (Read 8579 times)

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: GMO Papaya/Solo Papayas in Florida
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 07:12:00 PM »
If people want to grow GMO's it should be in a contained environment as to not contaminate non GMO crops. It will take a long time before the effects of these Franken foods will be known.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »
I have been harvesting from all 4 types of Solo papayas here in Sarasota, FL 34240. These Waimanalo X-77 were soft on the "tree" this morning and taste incredible. There have been some what I believe is fungal issues on the skin and some have worms from the Papaya wasp but I haven't been proactive in bagging or using the tanglefoot/green ball method. I am wondering if the fungus enters through the stinging injuries.

SOLO TYPES WILL GROW AND FRUIT IN FLORIDA AND THE TASTE IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER PAPAYA I HAVE EATEN.

I will try some grafting experiments at a later time with Red Lady or another reliable Florida producer rootstock to see if that helps push them along in the cooler months. 

-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2018, 02:37:03 PM »
'Improved Solo Sunrise' from Aloha Seeds. These are great. Not as productive as something like Red Lady here but the taste is top tier.

-Josh

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 04:12:09 PM »
Nice!
Har

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2018, 04:49:12 PM »
Looks great. I’ll admit to growing all mine out of store bought fruit. The freeze earlier this year killed them all back to the ground without protection. How cold was the freeze(s) for you? Curious if solo types will fruit here 100 miles north of you. I did buy some unspecified “solo” seeds from eBay.

I also had a lot of issues with papaya fruit flies last year, probably due to a string of warm winters. Haven’t seen a single one this year.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2018, 05:11:08 PM »
Does anyone know of a lab that does gene testing? Would it be way out of a decent price range? It might be worth it to develop my own verified non gmo papaya seedlings. There aren't any other papaya plants around my area.

Josh, there is a way to test your papayas if they are GMO.
When they created GMO papayas they did it with one purpose to create a plant resistant to ringspot virus. In short, this was done by manipulating DNA, with a coat protein, which acts like a antibody against the virus.
To look for a GMO papaya, you need to look if it has that protein.
Here is the test:
https://orders.agdia.com/agdia-coating-antibody-prsv-papaya-ringspot-virus-cab-53500

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2018, 06:49:45 PM »
I have been harvesting from all 4 types of Solo papayas here in Sarasota, FL 34240. These Waimanalo X-77 were soft on the "tree" this morning and taste incredible. There have been some what I believe is fungal issues on the skin and some have worms from the Papaya wasp but I haven't been proactive in bagging or using the tanglefoot/green ball method. I am wondering if the fungus enters through the stinging injuries.

SOLO TYPES WILL GROW AND FRUIT IN FLORIDA AND THE TASTE IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER PAPAYA I HAVE EATEN.

I will try some grafting experiments at a later time with Red Lady or another reliable Florida producer rootstock to see if that helps push them along in the cooler months. 

I've grown and harvested Waimanalo X77 in SoFl and IMO these are hands down the best papayas I've ever had. They've also resisted for over 2 years without ringspot virus, but finally giving up.
Federico
Homestead, FL

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 08:06:06 AM »
Looks great. I’ll admit to growing all mine out of store bought fruit. The freeze earlier this year killed them all back to the ground without protection. How cold was the freeze(s) for you? Curious if solo types will fruit here 100 miles north of you. I did buy some unspecified “solo” seeds from eBay.

I also had a lot of issues with papaya fruit flies last year, probably due to a string of warm winters. Haven’t seen a single one this year.

I protected these with heat lamps last winter. I think I got down to 28 but it was a short duration. I have coconut palms here as well that I protected but they weren't happy. One dropped all of its coconuts and didn't flower at all this year.  :-\
-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »

I've grown and harvested Waimanalo X77 in SoFl and IMO these are hands down the best papayas I've ever had. They've also resisted for over 2 years without ringspot virus, but finally giving up.
Nice! I kept hearing from people that they don't really grow in Florida or they taste bad when grown here. I'm not a huge papaya fan for eating out of hand, but these solos are so dang good. I am pretty well isolated where I am. I think fungal issues will be my main problem.

Does anyone know of a lab that does gene testing? Would it be way out of a decent price range? It might be worth it to develop my own verified non gmo papaya seedlings. There aren't any other papaya plants around my area.

When they created GMO papayas they did it with one purpose to create a plant resistant to ringspot virus. In short, this was done by manipulating DNA, with a coat protein, which acts like a antibody against the virus.
Here is the test:
https://orders.agdia.com/agdia-coating-antibody-prsv-papaya-ringspot-virus-cab-53500

Interesting, thank you.
-Josh

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2021, 09:07:46 PM »
Hey Forum and happy new year!

Just wanted to do a post a post on this thread. Last year I bought seeds of “sunrise” and “waimanolo x-77” from this website-> https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/seed/ all in shipping etc like ~10$ an incredible deal! I planted them last year and just harvested and ate my first one today which is the sunrise. Some notes: my sunrise doesn't look like the sunrise I see in pics, it was delicious, me/wife/her aunt and uncle were surprised, this blew away the store bought musky papaya literally it’s  “tree cantaloupe” , I was under the impression they were supposed to be dwarf but they are in fact pretty tall, I didn’t bag the fruit, no fertilizer, they grew like weeds without care or special watering. Looking forward to trying the waimanolo x-77 when they ripen. Plan on freezing the excess fruit as chunks for smoothies. Some pics:

-Joe

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2021, 09:30:40 PM »
Tried my first waimanolo x-77 today , yellow fleshed but looks kinda orange due to lighting. I like this one better than sunrise and it has even less muskiness I think. Interesting the nutritional composition is somewhat different between red (lycopene) and yellow (beta carotene).

-joe

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2021, 08:26:13 PM »
Nice I am growing W77 in a pot hope this year will fruit

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2021, 12:37:41 AM »

Nice! I kept hearing from people that they don't really grow in Florida or they taste bad when grown here. I'm not a huge papaya fan for eating out of hand, but these solos are so dang good. I am pretty well isolated where I am. I think fungal issues will be my main problem.

Here is the test:

Interesting, thank you.
Josh, did you ever end up doing the GMO test?