Author Topic: Pond apple rootstock San Diego  (Read 1382 times)

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
Pond apple rootstock San Diego
« on: November 14, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »
Hi All,

How well does pond apple grow in San Diego?  I want to use them as rootstock.  I got some seeds from Florida and they sprouted.

I want to graft Ilama onto them but I don’t know how tolerance they are in Southern California.

thanks!

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Pond apple rootstock San Diego
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »
Pond apple is a common rootstock in Brazil for annonas.  It is because of their tolerance to wet feet and flooding areas.  These are not the conditions in SD unless you have a very unusual location.  The do not, however, require flooding or wet feet, so they still may grow as they are a vigorous rootstock.
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 12:06:33 AM »
Hi All,

How well does pond apple grow in San Diego?  I want to use them as rootstock.  I got some seeds from Florida and they sprouted.

I want to graft Ilama onto them but I don’t know how tolerance they are in Southern California.

thanks!

I have only been growing pond apple for a year and it's in a pot, but has grown very well. It started out as a sad sickly seedling and now is about three feet tall with a half inch wide base.  Seems very vigorous. You may want to consider some incompatibility with using pond apple as rootstock for Ilama grafting http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6598.msg97015#msg97015.  JF has had really good luck using Cherimoya as rootstock for Ilama in California.  Bonita Creek Nursery also uses Cherimoya as rootstock for their Ilama grafts, both of the Ilamas I bought from Bonita are growing well on Cherimoya rootstock.
Bob

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 12:20:59 AM »
I also had one in a 15 gallon, it wasn't doing too well so I took a cutting and grafted it to an in ground cherimoya. The one in the pot died, and the graft has flowered the last two years and sets fruit late around now, but I haven't got a fruit to survive to maturity. I don't get frost, but the prolonged under 50-55 degree nights and not really any warm days for a few months is probably the reason it doesn't thrive.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 09:43:45 AM »
They should grow well for you. I had an ilama i sold on pond apple but since we have cherimoyas as a stable rootstock I wouldn’t waste my time

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 12:14:20 AM »
Thanks for all the answers.  I’m going to try ilama on cherimoya since everyone has good luck with cherimoya