Author Topic: Don't throw away those passionfruit leaves!  (Read 11424 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Don't throw away those passionfruit leaves!
« on: February 19, 2018, 04:21:27 AM »
So, the other day I was looking at a mess of old passionfruit leaves and thinking... "I wonder if there's anything I can do with these".  So today I googled it.  Apparently they're quite edible, used fresh, as a cooked green, and dried in tea (credited as being relaxing, as well as a number of other health effects).

Wondering whether there might be any adverse health effects, I went to scholar.google.com to search for peer-reviewed research... and found just the opposite.  Apparently they're being studied for use as an anti-anxiety medication, with quite positive results.  Examples:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0367326X01003227
http://www.ijppsjournal.com/Vol3Issue1/1002.pdf
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00216-016-9376-4
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1516-89132006000500005&script=sci_arttext&tlng=es
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f0d8/23f38ca5039cbd760141d507794ab0d40a20.pdf

Metastudy:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378874104000856

They're also effective as a cough suppressant and an antiasthmatic in the right doses:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0367326X02001168
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ptr.1151/full

Anticonvulsive:

https://www.thieme-connect.com/products/ejournals/abstract/10.1055/s-2007-969715

... and much more... basically a general CNS depressant with some nice effects. And they're quite antioxidant:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0963996913000033
http://europepmc.org/articles/pmc2865792

And antiinflammatory:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378874106003680
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0367326X06002620

P. incarnata (maypop) appears to be the most potent medicinal passiflora, but most species contain the active compounds to come extent (the closest to P. incarnata is P. caerulea, followed by P. lutea and P. capsularis). The compounds are not found in any significant concentration in the roots, stems, or flowers; the leaves appear to be the primary source. Concerning extracts, methanolic extracts are about 10x as potent as aqueous extracts (tea) - but aqueous extracts are still effective.  More to the point, it appears to be the water-soluble fraction of the methanolic extracts that has the effect.

I think when I get  home I'm going to be doing some pruning  ;)  Hopefully the taste is decent.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Don't throw away those passionfruit leaves!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 08:35:56 AM »
Thanks for all the info Karen!

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 04:52:28 PM »
Indeed, passionfruit leaf finished among the top 6 medicinals tested for longevity (using a yeast "model") in one study of about 37 legendary herbs.  Life span increased about 369% for the top herb (white willow bark).  Anti inflammatory effects are deemed causative.  I take this as a tea every day.  Use it in the evening as it does aid sleep. 

Anecdotally, a friend gave 3 fruits to a chronic insomniac and she slept for nearly 12 hours that night.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:09:33 PM by Future »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 05:08:06 PM »
Indeed, passionfruit leaf finished among the top 6 medicinals tested for longevity (using a yeast "model") in one study of about 34 legendary herbs.  Life span increased about 30% for the top herb (white willow bark).  Anti inflammatory effects are deemed causative.  I take this as a tea every day.  Use it in the evening as it does aid sleep. 

Anecdotally, a friend gave 3 fruits to a chronic insomniac and she slept for nearly 12 hours that night.

so how many leaves do you use to make a tea? this is good news, lots of passiflora leaves

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:31:52 PM »
You can buy dried passionfruit leaves in many health food stores,  and online herbals.Yes they are from P. incaranata. I believe native Americans knew about its effects and used it for hundreds of years. For herbal dosages one of the best books is Mrs. Grieves, A Modern Herbal, 2 volumes. Available on Amazon. Not sure if you can read it online?
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 05:36:49 PM »
So, I'm trying this for the first time tonight. Observational notes:

1) Raw leaf: too strong for me to eat in a salad or whatnot.  Maybe cooked in some dishes with other strong flavours.

2) Tea taste (I used 5 large P. edulis leaves in an oversized coffee mug of near-boiling water): the first taste I got was just "leaf".  Nothing else.  Kind of unappealing, but not distasteful... just uninteresting.  However,  the more I've been drinking it the more I've been picking up this subtle mint flavour that wasn't there in the beginning.

3) Either this was some crazy timing, or maybe I'm having a very strong psychosomatic effect..... OR, this stuff does exactly what it says on the tin.   I was only a quarter of the way into the mug when I noticed that I felt sleepy.  And not "normal sleepy"; but like something was actively dragging my awakeness level down.  Yet not of the type of effect to cause an imminent "fall asleep at my computer" effect.  I'll just put it this way, I don't think I'll have any trouble falling asleep tonight.  ;)  I also have this sort of heavy and/or tingly effect around my head.... maybe a very tiny bit of that feeling you get when you've had skin numbed for a medical procedure.  But again, not a strong feeling like that.

I definitely have to try this again to see if it's a coincidence or if this is a consistently reproduceble effect.  But so far, I have to say that I'm believing these reports.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »
Indeed, passionfruit leaf finished among the top 6 medicinals tested for longevity (using a yeast "model") in one study of about 34 legendary herbs.  Life span increased about 30% for the top herb (white willow bark).  Anti inflammatory effects are deemed causative.  I take this as a tea every day.  Use it in the evening as it does aid sleep. 

Hey Future, can you please list the other top 6?

Karen, please let us know what you feel next time you take the tea again.

Simon

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 07:36:31 PM »
I like this info. I have been reading a lot about guava leaves tea, but passionfruit leave is a new discovery to me, good to know, since i have a lot of leaves which i have been giving to the chicken :)
I am wondering if it is possible to mix different leaves in one tea to make a super tea which combines different medicinal properties (guava - passion fruit for example, + green tea to bring the good taste to the mixture).
I considered doing it with guava leaves and green tea, but i was afraid that the two types of leaves will activiate "dangerous" compounds when boiled together, or at least they activate some compounds that neutralize each other's effect. I guess there are no scientific evidence to deny or confirm such fears, so what do you think about this? is it probably safe to mix different plant leaves in one super tea?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 08:33:09 PM »
Drinking a tea of incarnata flower as I type this. Just used one flower and a little bit of water. Tastes fine with nothing added.

I've been making tea out of ceylon cinnamon leaves, lemon balm, 1 little neem leaf, and honey. Sometimes I add some jasmine humilis flowers or leaves. Stops my sneezing and other allergy symptoms as well as Claritin D. More than one neem leaf, it gets pretty bitter.

My friend's dad makes neem tea every day, swears it brings his blood sugar down 10 - 15 points. 

Th3_BrazilianShark

• San Diego, CA USA. 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 10:11:55 PM »

Passion fruit tea is very common in Brazil and also recommended to people who suffers of insomnia.
Great post!

So, I'm trying this for the first time tonight. Observational notes:

1) Raw leaf: too strong for me to eat in a salad or whatnot.  Maybe cooked in some dishes with other strong flavours.

2) Tea taste (I used 5 large P. edulis leaves in an oversized coffee mug of near-boiling water): the first taste I got was just "leaf".  Nothing else.  Kind of unappealing, but not distasteful... just uninteresting.  However,  the more I've been drinking it the more I've been picking up this subtle mint flavour that wasn't there in the beginning.

3) Either this was some crazy timing, or maybe I'm having a very strong psychosomatic effect..... OR, this stuff does exactly what it says on the tin.   I was only a quarter of the way into the mug when I noticed that I felt sleepy.  And not "normal sleepy"; but like something was actively dragging my awakeness level down.  Yet not of the type of effect to cause an imminent "fall asleep at my computer" effect.  I'll just put it this way, I don't think I'll have any trouble falling asleep tonight.  ;)  I also have this sort of heavy and/or tingly effect around my head.... maybe a very tiny bit of that feeling you get when you've had skin numbed for a medical procedure.  But again, not a strong feeling like that.

I definitely have to try this again to see if it's a coincidence or if this is a consistently reproduceble effect.  But so far, I have to say that I'm believing these reports.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 10:40:40 PM »
Excellent-flavored teas, in tea bags, of Passiflora edulis, are available in Brazilian sections of food stores:  "cha' de Maracuja' ".
Har

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 11:12:54 PM »
Here's an idea, if you want better taste, put a couple of cinnamon leaves in there when you make the tea.  Cinnamon leaf tea also has many, many health benefits, combine the two and you may live forever ;-)

Bruce
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 11:13:09 PM »
I like this info. I have been reading a lot about guava leaves tea, but passionfruit leave is a new discovery to me, good to know, since i have a lot of leaves which i have been giving to the chicken :)
I am wondering if it is possible to mix different leaves in one tea to make a super tea which combines different medicinal properties (guava - passion fruit for example, + green tea to bring the good taste to the mixture).
I considered doing it with guava leaves and green tea, but i was afraid that the two types of leaves will activiate "dangerous" compounds when boiled together, or at least they activate some compounds that neutralize each other's effect. I guess there are no scientific evidence to deny or confirm such fears, so what do you think about this? is it probably safe to mix different plant leaves in one super tea?

I use to mix pitanga and guava leaves for tea (I like more the pitanga taste... the mix is very good, even my daughter drinks it), sometimes some campomanesia as for instance c. lineatifolia and pitanga, or even another psidiums... not bad at all.. but they are from the same family...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 01:21:35 AM »
So many fruit plants make good teas. Here is beginning of a list:
Surinam Cherry
Loquat
Guava
Cinnamon
Allspice
Passionfruit
Campomanesia
I'm sure i've forgotten lots, feel free to add.
Oscar

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 02:04:58 AM »
I love this post! Great to learn something new. I drink green tea everyday and now I have a world of options to make a new "super tea". Great job. Thanks for the post and links Karen, and thank you for the list Oscar. Chris
-Chris

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 02:57:59 AM »

Dangerous reactions are not impossible, but they're not exactly likely either.  Think of how many chemicals you're heating together every time you cook... that hasn't killed you, now has it?  ;)

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 09:08:22 AM »
Jambolan, is another species in the myrtle family, that has leaves good for tea, which helps to control blood sugar level.  This is important in Ayurvedic medicine, where I think they call it Jamb.

Malay-Apple leaves and flowers are often eaten or chewed on, so are probably tasty for tea too.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:39:14 AM by Guanabanus »
Har

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 09:51:40 AM »
Cool, thanks Karen!

Like Oscar mentions, I make a tea from my loquat leaves. It is mild but very pleasant.
I also occasionally make a tea from fig leaves too.

But, my big P. edulis vine grows like crazy and I just end up composting the trimmings when it gets too out of hand. I will be trying some tea instead! The caterpillars will just have to share :)
- Mark

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 11:57:17 AM »
adding to the list ,,,  jujube tea good for fatigue-insomnia-shortness of breath to name a few,, white sapote leaf tea for high blood pressure  and a sleep aid helps you sleep more restfully. the jujube tea i give my wife every morning with breakfast and the white sapote tea every night at bedtime, these i know work very well sometimes she also drinks loquat leaf tea good for the lungs and sometimes guava leaf tea. i mostly collect my YOUNG TENDER LEAVES when i prune or early in the growing season when i am getting new growth, "young leaves are more flavorful and not bitter " and i am assuming here that just like regular tea that the compounds are more prevalent in the younger leaves. i normally collect my leaves by the crate /box and dry them in the clothes dryer and store them for later use. DO NOT FORGET to clean out the dryer and lint trap.     Patrick

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 03:15:00 PM »
Could people explain how they make tea out of these various leaves? buddy roo mentions drying them . . . does everyone here dry the leaves to make tea, or are they ever used fresh? Thanks!

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 05:18:25 PM »
Older leaves have accumulated higher concentrations of many ingredients--- that is one reason they taste stronger or bitter.
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 05:53:49 PM »
So many fruit plants make good teas. Here is beginning of a list:
Surinam Cherry
Loquat
Guava
Cinnamon
Allspice
Passionfruit
Campomanesia
I'm sure i've forgotten lots, feel free to add.
Modify message

Jambolan (aka java plum)
Malay Apple ?
Jujube
White Sapote
Soursop (use with caution)
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 05:54:58 PM »
Roblack: I use a single fresh leaf and steep for anywhere from 15minutes to an hour.  The taste is mild but I am not drinking it for entertainment.

Simon: Top 6 are

White willow bark
Passionleaf
Ginkgo. Biloba
Black cohosh
Valerian
Celery seed

Everyone should note some plants differ in excitatory or calming nature.  I use white willow, Passionleaf and valerian in the evening.  Ginkgo, astragalus plus green tea mid morning.  I don't use black cohosh as mixed views on if this affect testosterone or not.  A green light for women though.

Thanks to all posting other teas.  Loquat grows wild all over Bermuda yet most walk past it...a few buy it in a Chinese formula to strengthen the lungs...go figure.  Curious on guava leaf..excitatory or calming? 

Had no idea about white sapote either...or another one growing wild here: Surinam cherry.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:00:18 PM by Future »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 05:56:55 PM »
Could people explain how they make tea out of these various leaves? buddy roo mentions drying them . . . does everyone here dry the leaves to make tea, or are they ever used fresh? Thanks!
I've used surinam cherry, cinammon, and loquat leaves fresh, and think they are better fresh. I think main reason for drying is for long term storage.
Oscar