Author Topic: Don't throw away those passionfruit leaves!  (Read 11424 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Don't throw away those passionfruit leaves!
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 06:03:35 PM »
Roblack: I use a single fresh leaf and steep for anywhere from 15minutes to an hour.  The taste is mild but I am not drinking it for entertainment.

Simon: Top 6 are

White willow bark
Passionleaf
Ginkgo. Biloba
Black cohosh
Valerian
Celery seed

Everyone should note some plants differ in excitatory or calming nature.  I use white willow, Passionleaf and valerian in the evening.  Ginkgo, astragalus plus green tea mid morning.  I don't use black cohosh as mixed views on if this affect testosterone or not.  A green light for women though.

Thanks to all posting other teas.  Loquat grows wild all over Bermuda yet most walk past it...a few buy it in a Chinese formula to strengthen the lungs...go figure.  Curious on guava leaf..excitatory or calming? 

Had no idea about white sapote either...or another one growing wild here: Surinam cherry.

Here is the study.  Note while yeast do share some genetic pathways with people, obviously we are very different.  White willow bark increased their lifespan 369%...people won't get anything close to  that.  For the science lovers, important to note each herb works a unique genetic pathway.

https://biofoundations.org/delaying-chronological-aging-yeast-saccharomyces-cerevisiae-six-plant-extracts/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:11:04 PM by Future »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »
Could people explain how they make tea out of these various leaves? buddy roo mentions drying them . . . does everyone here dry the leaves to make tea, or are they ever used fresh? Thanks!
I've used surinam cherry, cinammon, and loquat leaves fresh, and think they are better fresh. I think main reason for drying is for long term storage.

In general, yes, fresh leaves provide greater potency.  Dried leaves remain good (no storage pun intended) if that is all that is available. 

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:23:44 PM by Future »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 07:29:18 PM »
Thanks Future, time to place an order on Amazon!

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 10:05:38 PM »
This is my new favorite thread. Thanks everyone!

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 12:39:42 PM »
Thanks Future, time to place an order on Amazon!

Simon
Hi Simon, what kind if tea you thinking of?? i am going to be trimming off a bunch of new growth from my white sapote tree real soon if you would like to try some.           Regards       Patrick

Charlie

• Arkansas USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 06:49:15 PM »
P incarnata grows everywhere here.  I love the fall fruits but never tried leaves in tea.  Smoked a few awhile back but nothing special to report from that.  ;D

My tea favorite from yard specimens is Persimmon leaf.  I prefer the fall leaves that have lost chlorophyll and appear reddish orange but young new leaves that have been dried aren't too bad with honey to sweeten.  It is also quite healthy if you care to search it up. 

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 07:55:05 PM »
Passion fruit flowers can also be used for tea (dried or fresh) - and they contain some MAOI alkaloids (monoamine oxide inhibitor). MAOI's are used as a pharmaceutical anti-depressant (although these are less common these days vs SSRIs). Passion flower can also be used augment the effect of some psychedelics, since they contain MAOIs.

Be aware that MAOI's should not be consumed with certain foods (cured meats, strong cheeses, etc.)

So, I'm trying this for the first time tonight. Observational notes:

1) Raw leaf: too strong for me to eat in a salad or whatnot.  Maybe cooked in some dishes with other strong flavours.

2) Tea taste (I used 5 large P. edulis leaves in an oversized coffee mug of near-boiling water): the first taste I got was just "leaf".  Nothing else.  Kind of unappealing, but not distasteful... just uninteresting.  However,  the more I've been drinking it the more I've been picking up this subtle mint flavour that wasn't there in the beginning.

3) Either this was some crazy timing, or maybe I'm having a very strong psychosomatic effect..... OR, this stuff does exactly what it says on the tin.   I was only a quarter of the way into the mug when I noticed that I felt sleepy.  And not "normal sleepy"; but like something was actively dragging my awakeness level down.  Yet not of the type of effect to cause an imminent "fall asleep at my computer" effect.  I'll just put it this way, I don't think I'll have any trouble falling asleep tonight.  ;)  I also have this sort of heavy and/or tingly effect around my head.... maybe a very tiny bit of that feeling you get when you've had skin numbed for a medical procedure.  But again, not a strong feeling like that.

I definitely have to try this again to see if it's a coincidence or if this is a consistently reproduceble effect.  But so far, I have to say that I'm believing these reports.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2018, 06:45:14 AM »
Passion fruit flowers can also be used for tea (dried or fresh) - and they contain some MAOI alkaloids (monoamine oxide inhibitor). MAOI's are used as a pharmaceutical anti-depressant (although these are less common these days vs SSRIs). Passion flower can also be used augment the effect of some psychedelics, since they contain MAOIs.

Be aware that MAOI's should not be consumed with certain foods (cured meats, strong cheeses, etc.)

yeah, i was going to mention that.
the active principle in Passiflora is an MAOI,
taken in fairly high amounts, you should keep a close eye on your diet.

Coffee and Cacao (chocolate), cheeses, red wine, cured meats, and Yeast
 are some of the stronger ones to avoid if i remember correctly.
also, do not mix if taking  St. John's wort.
there is a list on the  links below.

MAOIs
An enzyme called monoamine oxidase is involved in removing the neurotransmitters norepinephrine, serotonin and dopamine from the brain. MAOIs prevent this from happening, which makes more of these brain chemicals available to effect changes in both cells and circuits that have been impacted by depression.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/in-depth/maois/art-20043992

"Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs) are drugs used to treat depression, high blood pressure, and other medical conditions. If you are taking MAOIs, you will follow a special diet.

A side effect of this type of medicine is that a normally harmless substance in food, tyramine (TY-ra-meen), is not broken down by the body.

High levels of tyramine can cause blood vessels to narrow. This can lead to very high blood pressure, a severe headache, and possibly bleeding.

To avoid these serious side effects, you should avoid certain foods or eat them only in small amounts."

http://www.upmc.com/patients-visitors/education/nutrition/pages/maoi-diet-facts.aspx

Low-Tyramine Diet for Migraine
http://www.headaches.org/2007/10/25/low-tyramine-diet-for-migraine/

Serotonin syndrome.
Rarely, an MAOI can cause dangerously high levels of serotonin, known as serotonin syndrome.
It most often occurs when two medications that raise serotonin are combined.
 These include other antidepressants, certain pain or headache medications,
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/in-depth/maois/art-20043992?pg=2

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »
Passiflora incarnata is the Tennessee state wildflower - but I grow it in my garden as a fruit crop. Excellent fruit when allowed to drop naturally.
I’ve found the leaves to be a little strong, as some have reported, so I prefer to make times out of the flowers, either fresh or dried. I find 2-3 flowers in 8 ounces of boiling water, steeped 10-15 minutes can have a moderate to high soporific effect. However, for me it seems it takes a
Couple of hours or more to really kick in. When taken immediately before bed, I’ve felt groggy in the morning.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2018, 01:16:43 PM »
Not sure of the levels of MAOI in passiflora, but doubt most people would have a problem unless they are taking certain medications. Dietary interactions with MAOI pharmaceuticals tend to be more intense than with natural food sources. I have consumed plenty of passionfruit and cacao at the same time, along with other mixtures. However, mixing MAOI meds with certain psychiatric meds can be deadly. Probably best to consult a physician just to be sure.

bbudd

• thailand,chiang rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 07:52:55 PM »

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2018, 08:29:02 PM »
lets not forget the  AVOCADO LEAF TEA        PS  you want to make sure that the leaves are from a pure mexican variety
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:35:39 PM by buddy roo »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »
I grew up in northern Brazil, where we occasionally drank Avocado-leaf tea, which was delicious, with a licorice-type flavor.  Some times we made it together with Lemon Grass.

But the two or three times I tried to make Avocado-leaf tea here in Florida, it was nasty. Different varieties, I guess.  Also I have read that Avocado leaves here in Florida are considered toxic--- which they sure tasted like.
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2018, 04:24:18 PM »
I think it's only the Mexican type avocados that have the nice anise taste? The Guatemalan and West Indies types are not good to eat? Not sure what happens with the hybrids?
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2018, 09:24:42 PM »
Also tea from Noni leaves apparently has a mild niceflavor and the same benefits than drinking the fruit juice...
El verde es vida!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2018, 11:32:30 PM »
Also tea from Noni leaves apparently has a mild niceflavor and the same benefits than drinking the fruit juice...
Young noni leaves are edible. There is a Thai restaurant here that makes a salad with noni leaves. I found them tasty but a bit tough to chew.
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2018, 12:30:28 AM »
Young noni leaves are edible. There is a Thai restaurant here that makes a salad with noni leaves. I found them tasty but a bit tough to chew.
That's nice to know Oscar! I'll try to stir fry them,I'll let you know the results...
El verde es vida!

ThangBom321

• TX Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2018, 01:03:07 AM »
This is some good info as I have sleeping problems. This is partly why I work the night shift. Working night shift takes a toll on my relationship though. Even my days off I have a hard time sleeping at night and struggle staying up during the day spending time with the family. Where are you guys finding passion fruit at? I can't find any at my local stores to take the seeds and plant. Maybe it's not the right season?

Thangbom

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2018, 06:47:17 PM »
This is some good info as I have sleeping problems. This is partly why I work the night shift. Working night shift takes a toll on my relationship though. Even my days off I have a hard time sleeping at night and struggle staying up during the day spending time with the family. Where are you guys finding passion fruit at? I can't find any at my local stores to take the seeds and plant. Maybe it's not the right season?

Thangbom

Wholefoods usually carry them.  If not now, in the summer.  Night shift does take a toll on health too.  Circadian rhythms link via food and light levels all the way through mitochondria to DNA, genetic expressions.  There are lots of good podcasts around on sleep science...far more insight than mainstream medicine generally provides.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2018, 07:29:40 PM »

Thangbom

Check your PMs. Cheers!

ThangBom321

• TX Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2018, 10:34:59 AM »

[/quote]

Wholefoods usually carry them.  If not now, in the summer.  Night shift does take a toll on health too.  Circadian rhythms link via food and light levels all the way through mitochondria to DNA, genetic expressions.  There are lots of good podcasts around on sleep science...far more insight than mainstream medicine generally provides.
[/quote]

Oh I hear you. I think I'm more of an evening person then a night or morning person. 12hr shifts and a stressful job is not good for the body, or mind. Ohh well, it is what it is for now.

Thangbom

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »
Could people explain how they make tea out of these various leaves? buddy roo mentions drying them . . . does everyone here dry the leaves to make tea, or are they ever used fresh? Thanks!
I've used surinam cherry, cinammon, and loquat leaves fresh, and think they are better fresh. I think main reason for drying is for long term storage.

Bermuda had a fairly calm, fairly dry winter this year.  Loquats have set fruit across the country like crazy.  Surinam cherry flowers are also going ballistic.  Even mango trees are flowering (not mine though).  I harvested some pristine loquats leaf today and have some on the stove now...white sapote leaf is next. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2018, 08:47:36 PM »
White sapote is in citrus family, rutaceae. Would guess citrus leaves are good in tea, although i've never tried. Do use tangerine peel in my tea. Adds very nice taste. Also use kaffir lime leaves in cooking. Curry leaf, also in citrus family probably would be good in tea.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2018, 11:10:14 AM »