Author Topic: Drip irrigation over, under or through the mulch?  (Read 7252 times)

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Drip irrigation over, under or through the mulch?
« on: February 19, 2018, 11:39:42 AM »
I'm going to set some new lines of drip irrigation for several recently planted trees that have or will have a good layer of mulch around. So my doubt is about how is better to set the tubes and emitters, over the mulch so water drops on its surface, under the mulch, so it drops directly on the floor or through the mulching material.

Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:50:27 AM by Jose Spain »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Drip irrigation over, under or through the mulch?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 11:53:56 AM »
In So Cal it hardly rains so I got my drip over mulch so mulch can leech into soil overtime. If you get good rain, then drip should be under the mulch.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
I would do both. One emitter to help melt down the mulch into black gold if it is thick, say over 4-5 inches. The second to get water to the newly planted trees roots. For thinner mulch one emitter on top of mulch will be enough. You can always drive your hand under the mulch to see if water is getting to the soil and then to your trees roots.

Newly planted need water.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:13:45 PM by zands »

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 12:50:15 PM »
I get better results using micro sprayers over drip emitters.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 01:12:38 PM »

Correct, if you are using drip emitters, its useless to put them on top of mulch as it wont get coverage. for top of mulch, micro sprayers is needed.

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 04:38:03 PM »
Hello,

I'm riding an irrigation system here in southeastern Brazil, I have 1500 mm of rainfall a year, but my winter is dry, cold and windy, dehydrated plants, I want to use drip, which flow would you recommend me for each Score?

I'm seeing drippers of 4 and 10 liters per hour, is that enough?

I do not use mulchi because I have many snakes and they love to stay under the mulchi

Thank you!
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 04:59:46 PM »

Correct, if you are using drip emitters, its useless to put them on top of mulch as it wont get coverage. for top of mulch, micro sprayers is needed.

Even before mulch, I found drip emitters only watered a very small area deep. The adjustable micro sprayers spread the water coverage out.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 05:36:17 PM »
The micro sprayers always clog up. I guess a filter might help. At any rate, I've had much better luck with drippers.
Jeff  :-)

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 05:41:44 PM »

I have been using above drip "Micro sprayer" system for over 3 years, but I am now started converting to another system using "1/4 inch "Dripline" tubing, where the emitters are built-in inside the tubing.

The drip Micro sprayers have been giving me good coverage, but the problem I am having is the repeated flow adjustments that I need to do from time to time. I notice that the sprays diminish after few weeks/months or so, and I still have no idea what causing it! Occasionally, the sprayer's top come loose too, and there goes the small water fountain going straight up in the air...So, to me, this "Micro sprayer" while serving the purpose, but frequent checking and upkeep is required...

The "Dripline" system:

The "Dripline" system so far have not been giving any trouble for the last 2 years that I am using it; and I found that installation and future expansion (when trees grow bigger) seems to be simpler for me (no need to run another line) and possibly more economical as well. I also installed a 1/4" one way valve prior to inserting the Dripline, for full flow control.
Oh, by the way, I had run this Dripline on top, thru or below mulch, without any issue so far.

Just sharing my own experience...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:46:58 PM by Samu »
Sam

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »
It's because they get clogged, either with debris or calcium deposits from hard water. I had to do monthly check-ups on mine, which I inevitably would forget to do, resulting in water-starved plants.

The 1/4 inch dripline hose sounds like a great idea.

The drip Micro sprayers have been giving me good coverage, but the problem I am having is the repeated flow adjustments that I need to do from time to time. I notice that the sprays diminish after few weeks/months or so, and I still have no idea what causing it! Occasionally, the sprayer's top come loose too, and there goes the small water fountain going straight up in the air...So, to me, this "Micro sprayer" while serving the purpose, but frequent checking and upkeep is required...
Jeff  :-)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 07:14:47 PM »
I have the same issue with the 360 pattern micro sprinklers.  The ones that are the spider shape with 8 jets outward seem to clog way less.

I would put water on top of mulch regardless IMO.  Then you can see if they are still working.  And it helps breakdown the mulch.
Brad Spaugh

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 07:56:18 PM »
Carlos from Miami recommended these rotor sprays, I put them on 18" risers one on each side of trees. It is very easy to see if they clog, usually it is ants or spiders coming in from outside, the orifices are large enough to not clog. With low pressure they still cover 4 ft. diameter, with max pressure they cover +10 ft diameter. I interplant smaller plants heavily around trees and this pattern covers the entire root zone. I feel that keeping the entire root zone moist helps maintain soil life and encourage roots across a larger area than drip or microsprays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtn1_wfgqA4

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 08:13:52 PM »
That rotomax is very cool looking ....... I need to make these decisions next week

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »
It's because they get clogged, either with debris or calcium deposits from hard water. I had to do monthly check-ups on mine, which I inevitably would forget to do, resulting in water-starved plants.

The 1/4 inch dripline hose sounds like a great idea.

Well...,that explains it, never saw the "dirt" that's causing the clogs myself (I guess they are too small/impossible to see with my bare eyes!  ;D), so yes, I agree that filters might help, thanks Jeff!

Anyway, now we have at least 3 drip choices: Micro sprayers, Driplines and now...: Rotor sprays! Have fun thinking, calculating and doing about them, guys...! :)
Sam

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 04:58:45 AM »
Hello,

I'm riding an irrigation system here in southeastern Brazil, I have 1500 mm of rainfall a year, but my winter is dry, cold and windy, dehydrated plants, I want to use drip, which flow would you recommend me for each Score?

I'm seeing drippers of 4 and 10 liters per hour, is that enough?

I do not use mulchi because I have many snakes and they love to stay under the mulchi

Thank you!

I also have snakes, and scorpions giant centipedes and they like dead leaves.

But for your dripper you need to see how many can work on your pressure. Also with the pump you can still not go endless ...you have to test it first before building. And for sprayer you sure not good pressure or they don't spray but drip.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 06:25:05 AM »
Carlos from Miami recommended these rotor sprays, I put them on 18" risers one on each side of trees. It is very easy to see if they clog, usually it is ants or spiders coming in from outside, the orifices are large enough to not clog. With low pressure they still cover 4 ft. diameter, with max pressure they cover +10 ft diameter. I interplant smaller plants heavily around trees and this pattern covers the entire root zone. I feel that keeping the entire root zone moist helps maintain soil life and encourage roots across a larger area than drip or microsprays.
This is the specific rotor I am using, but the variable valve is probably not necessary, I usually just adjust pressure to change spray diameter. These screw into an 18" riser which plugs into tubing. I support the riser using a 2 ft length of 1/8" heavy galvanized fence wire and tyrap.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 06:27:57 PM »

I use a similar model found at the local hyrdo place.  They can be had for a couple bucks ea. They clog way less with ants.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 07:42:05 AM »
set up 2HP 2” pump from pond, also used im combination with check valves with mitsu 1hp high pressure pump, and city water to irrigate sprayers.  Ran 2” nains, 1/2” pvc risers about 2.5’ above ground.  If restrict to 10 sprinklers, get about 6’ from head, opening more and get 4’, just city water can open slot but works more like a drip system.

I like that the irrigation water is also fertilizer, I raise a lot of fish in this pond, so will help clean the pond as well.  Because refilling the pond with clean city water, so far the chlorine from city water not affectimg anything.  I can reduce the pond by about 4” with heavy irrigation, which when refilled daily is about 3-5% of total volume.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 08:49:40 AM »
If you do star-configuration you can use more sprayer then long line.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 09:02:52 AM »
If open more than 10 heads, seeiing an overall drop of pressure evenly distributed, have each long line with valve, the star setup would likely work to help pressure drop  large scale due to saved distance, however I’m isimg a high pressure system, enough to blow the heads if combine 2 punps on 1 line.  Eventually may tie it all in like a circle with imtersectionas, but would need a 3rd pump.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »
Thank you all for so much interesting info and experiences. That dripline seems like a really good system to try. Surprisingly for me, unlike other products you comment here, Rain Bird does work also in EU and when I checked the nearest shop selling its products it happens that is just 2 Km from my house. So I'm going to try this system and I'll try both ways, over and under mulching, to see which one fits better with my climate. I have a 3-4 months period of dry season here, so usually I do prefer that the mulching last through summer because my main goal by using it is to save water (so better to set dripline under the mulch), but I want to see how it works over the mulch as well with some trees sensitive to overwatering (such as mangos and citric).

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 03:18:57 PM »
Just wanted to add a short clip of my "dripline" in operation:

To determine how much you water the tree; I placed a measurement bowl under the dripping water, and run it lets say 15 minuets, then stop and multiply the amount of water collected by 4, to get your hourly volume dispenses per hour, multiply again by the number of emitters in your "loop" around the tree...(And you can adjust the flow easily by having a variable 1/4" shut off valve installed prior to connecting the Dripline).

By the way, the company, DIG; made this drip line with 3 options: every 6"; 9" or 12" distance between the emitters inside the tubing; both Home Depot and Amazon carry them...

Well, somehow my clip does not play in this forum, sorry!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:24:53 PM by Samu »
Sam

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 03:31:23 PM »
I just yanked out all my drips from my 50 rose bushes and replaced with Antelco A19015 360 Degree C-Frame Downspray. no more BS drip that leaves dry spots. This one literally covers every mm all around uniformly.

here is video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMhMjivOWGg

I also replaced my mango drips and am using 4 of these per plant. I love these, they spray down in about 20"-24" dia depending on height, and having 4 per mango plant literally covers a lot of area below the canopy of my tree (at least for now) and will help breakdown mulch faster, and help in getting fertilizer going into the roots as well.  These are best so far out of all I have gotten. On clogging, I use filter so I am hopeful I dont have to go thru it.  I am amazed by these little ones doing an amazing job.

I bought this for srip spray http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Drip-Irrigation-Downsprays-p/a19015.htm

and for stake I got these
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Tempo-FRRS8-8-inch-Rigid-Riser-Stake-p/frrs8.htm

total per unit with riser cost me $0.72/ea. Simply cut a 1/4" tube 1"-3" long for riser and attach it between stake and the spray. amazing job!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 04:00:41 PM by behlgarden »

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 04:56:14 PM »
The micro sprayers always clog up. I guess a filter might help. At any rate, I've had much better luck with drippers.

Hey Cook.  When you get a moment could you post the dripper spec you prefer?  Im using shrubblers and spot spitters just because I have the materials but would prefer something that will promote a healthy root trajectory.  Also big big benefits of precise drip is weed mitigation and if you want to fertigate
- Marley

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 01:02:24 AM »
Im using shrubblers and spot spitters just because I have the materials but would prefer something that will promote a healthy root trajectory.  Also big big benefits of precise drip is weed mitigation and if you want to fertigate

Yup! I use drippers for my vegetables for these two reasons.

I've also started experimenting with spot spitters. One nice feature of the Primerus spot spitters is that you can reverse them and plug your 1/8" hose if you move/remove/lose a plant, and then reverse it again to turn it back on when you need it again.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!