Author Topic: Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) & Forum "How To" Guide  (Read 134485 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Google Chrome AdBlock Plus (beta)
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »
Just in case anyone isn't aware, ads from postimage could be blocked using Adblock Plus (BETA) for Chrome, and Adblock Plus 2.1.2 for FireFox

Chrome Adblock Plus (BETA)

Firefox Adblock Plus 2.1.2  Or you can access Tools, Add-ons, type in Adblock Plus in the search box and install it from there.
Tim

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) & Forum "How To" Guide
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 12:04:45 AM »
How can we delete posts?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 12:07:55 AM »
How can we delete posts?

By messaging a mod or admin that you would like it deleted. You can also report the post and let us know that you would like it deleted.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Small Lots of Seed permit (PPQ 587)
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »
Here's a page with helpful instructions on how to apply for a Small Lots of Seed permit. 
Well, not so much on the ePermits side but helpful on the downloadable/printable application.  Though in place of "Various", you should use "All"

Printable PDF version
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/forms/pdf/PPQ587.pdf
Tim

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 07:25:13 AM »
Is there a sorting utility so we can find the most viewed, most replies, etc. posts?
Richard

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 08:24:59 AM »
Is there a sorting utility so we can find the most viewed, most replies, etc. posts?

There is a statistics page that gives this info. You can find the link at the bottom of the main index page:  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php

Click the "more stats" link towards the bottom of the page.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 09:26:58 AM »
I found that using the RSS feature on the website is a great way of getting emailed every time there is activity on ANY part of the forum. The email messages are placed in a separate folder so as to not overcrowd your main email Inbox.

Doesn't always work, though, especially if you use separate computers...

Jaime

wanderer94

• central texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »
Hey does anybody here know if the fruits of Old Fustic are edible??? On an unrelated note I am curious to know if coconut palms can be grown in Madeira or the Azores...

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 05:08:15 PM »
Hey does anybody here know if the fruits of Old Fustic are edible??? On an unrelated note I am curious to know if coconut palms can be grown in Madeira or the Azores...

Hi Wanderer94,
Yes, the coconut palm grows very well over here and even flowers...but, do not set fruit.

Here's some pics :)
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1018.msg12606;topicseen#msg12606

There is a few more palms in Santa cruz, Madalena do mar and Ponta do sol! 8)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
time frame for inbox mail?
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 07:35:44 PM »
Hi, happens that  today I wanted to see my inbox to send some seeds request, and it shows that is empty, also I was considered a "member" with some 15 comments and I notice now Im back in "newbie" stage with only one comment, looks like my past 2 weeks history was erase, how that works ? I have to set some function in preferences or what Im doing wrong? any help will be appreciated it thanks a lot....
El verde es vida!

Michiganian

• USA, Michigan, Grand Rapids - USDA Zone 5B
    • View Profile
    • My iStock Portfolio (Photos & Illustrations)
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
9)How do I fertilize my fruit tree?

Just what I was looking for... but there's no link? I was interested in the best fertilizers (preferably liquid) for jackfruit and longan seedlings.

Does anyone have any tips for me? Thanks in advance!

~ Cassandra

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2013, 10:38:19 PM »
I would like the most experienced posters on this site who have had success trading not only seeds and fruit with other members, but also live plants to consider a "How to Ship a Live Plant Safely"  addition to the FAQ you are creating.

I have received several live plants from three professional plant dealers  in the mail and although they all use different packing materials and techniques, they all consistently achieve all four results in their shipments:

1.  The plant's root ball is well secured so it cannot possibly move even it the box is jostled.
2.  The top of the root ball is secured so there is no way for soil material to fall out.
3.  The plant is packed and secured so the main stem is always 1-3" from the sides and end of the box.
4.  Tracking info is always sent to the recipient when the plant is shipped.

I post this list as my opener so it can be amended by those experienced in trading and shipping live plants.    Hopefully, combined suggestions will help create a conical version that can be added to the FAQ.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »

Just what I was looking for... but there's no link? I was interested in the best fertilizers (preferably liquid) for jackfruit and longan seedlings.

The truth is that there is no one best.  You can be successful with many formulations.  You can go organic or synthetic.  It largely depends on your growing conditions and everyone's growing conditions are somewhat different.  You should be bold but not too aggressive.  With fertilizers, less can often be more.  Try any balanced fertilizer you have access to with light feedings for a month or two.  If you have good results, continue, if not try another or re-post the results for further recommendations.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2013, 06:19:41 PM »

It's best to give regular feedings rather than, as most people do, put the plants on a feast or famine schedule. With this in mind i like to recommend that people use slow release fertilizers, especially for small potted plants. Once the plants are in the ground i concentrate more on cheaper sources of fertilizers, like manure, compost, mulch, grass clippings, etc.
Oscar

Michiganian

• USA, Michigan, Grand Rapids - USDA Zone 5B
    • View Profile
    • My iStock Portfolio (Photos & Illustrations)
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »
Thanks fruitlovers and HMHausman!

I opted to start with an organic fertilized potting soil which contains kelp and alfalfa meal. They have responded really well to it and are growing much faster than I had anticipated. :) I'll look into the slow release fertilizers for their next "feeding".

-------------------------

Also, can we see a FAQ or "how to" on shipping seedlings?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:55:18 PM by Michiganian »
~ Cassandra

TheGoldFirm

• Koro Island, Fiji
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2014, 03:32:48 PM »
Hello,
We're looking for assistance in obtaining (economically) and then planting fruit trees on our property on Koro Island, Fiji. We have no idea where to go (presumably in Suva or Nadi) to purchase small trees, and also want to verify we'll have no issues with the government when we transport the small trees via the ferry to Koro (from Natovi).
Thank you!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2014, 11:11:06 AM »
Hello,
We're looking for assistance in obtaining (economically) and then planting fruit trees on our property on Koro Island, Fiji. We have no idea where to go (presumably in Suva or Nadi) to purchase small trees, and also want to verify we'll have no issues with the government when we transport the small trees via the ferry to Koro (from Natovi).
Thank you!

For obtaining the trees i suggest you contact Fiji Forestry department. You should also ask the agriculture department about any requirements for transporting trees inter island.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2015, 05:00:39 PM »
a few tips from: (the bastard who spends the most time on the forum, i'm embarrassed to admit...just check the forum stats  :-[ )  some will find them useful, while others will find them worthless

1) set up your forum account so the most recent posts appear first, you can do this under the tab that says "profile/modify profile/look and layout" (I believe)...this way, you are always reading the most recent posts, without having to click on the last page of the thread, also having to scroll down looking for the most recent post.

2) also, check the forum stats regularly, you can do this on the main page, it's a discreet link that says "more stats"...this can be a helpful tool, for researching the most popular topics, learning more about members, and the forum in general.

3) viewing who's online, click the link on the first page underneath the title, "users online", it will have the total amount of people currently on the forum for you to click.  This is a very important tool for me...it allows me to see who is looking at what, if your profile is not hidden, I can start to figure out who reads the same topics as me.  I'm always searching for members who share common interests, and I'm also curious to see which threads are getting the most attention, and when.

btw, you must be a member to do all of this, so it's another reason to join the forum and quit lurking!!

these are just a few tips I wanted to share, being that I'm a tropical fruit forum fiend....misery loves company!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Cam Byram

• Kadavu, Fiji and Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2015, 04:02:02 AM »
Hi, I am in Australia but my family has 50 acres at Kadavu, we have so many coconut trees, breadfruit and noni but just now starting to push with mango and tiana.  If you want a few hundred coconut sprouts ready to plant just let me know.  You can come get them anytime.  Gutugutuwai-Byram family at LAGALEVU, Nakasaleka, Kadavu.     Cam Byram.    Would love if you could bring some mangrove seedlings or seeds of the variety for the tidal beach front (not tiro type). 

guaycuyacu

• ecuador
    • View Profile
    • guaycuyacu seeds
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
im a newbie, but ive already sent several PM’s successfully.  but now when i try to do so, no “picture” appears with letters for me to type.   clicking on “Listen to the letters”  or “Request another image.”  does not work.   logging out and back in does not work.   can anyone help?
thanks,
guaycuyacu

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »
Hi, did you solve the problem or still need help?
Dominik
Patience is a gardener's virtue

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2017, 03:37:17 PM »
I need some help adding pics to my posts. I have been able to add images in the past but the "add image to post" and "insert image" are not working for me now.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2017, 05:36:13 PM »
Have people noticed the subscription and messaging notifications are not working?

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »
Have people noticed the subscription and messaging notifications are not working?

i haven't got any Notifications since i joined and i have them turned on... would like to know when people post to my threads so i don't have to keep checking back so much
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2017, 10:41:01 PM »

Yeah, I've noticed... Gotta get around to fixing that.