Author Topic: Scouts wanted near foothills of San Gabriel and San Bernadino Mt. Southern Calif  (Read 1198 times)

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
Hello.
Just wondering if any local planeteers of the San Gabriel / San Bernadino region wanted to go on the hunt for a variety of Ribes divaricatum said to be extinct, however I think it's too soon to give up just yet. I am talking about the var. parishii, which has pink/red petals and so is simple to ID. The other varieties should not even be growing near this locality, but in any case I have included the key below. If plants are still there, they should be in flower now. Obviously remember the location if you should find some survivors, so seeds can be harvested in a few months time. I think it would be a very valuable find, as this variety would be much more adaptable to warmer climes. Regards

Here is a key to the subspecies  (Sinnott, Q.,  1985, Rhodora 87(850):189-286)

A.      Filaments 3.5-4.7 (5) mm long; petals 1.2-1.8 mm long, white; style 5.5-7.5 mm long; coast ranges of southern Oregon southward to Santa Barbara Co., CA ……var. pubiflorum

AA. Filaments more than 5 mm long; petals 2-3 mm long, white or red-pink; style 8 – 11 mm long

B. Calyx tube 1.7-2.7 mm long; petals white; coastal areas from Queen Charlotte Islands southward to southern Oregon    ………………………………..var. divaricatum

B. Calyx tube 2.8-3.5 mm long; petals pink or red; foothills of the San Gabriel and San Bernadino Mt. Southern California ………………………………….var. parishii

Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Ive seen some ribes in my wanderings near Palomar Mt. Will have to measure the calyx tube next time they flower.
Shane

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
Sounds like you are onto something there Shane. If it has red or pink petals, I would imagine it is would have to be it. GL and take a few photos! I know who can ID for us. Not familiar with CA climate but flowering until May probably?!
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
I fund a picture. White petals  :(
Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk