Author Topic: A couple new mangos--need some advice  (Read 4401 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
A couple new mangos--need some advice
« on: June 05, 2012, 03:31:39 PM »
Darn voices in my head again told me to visit the local nursery...maybe its from all the bath salts or maybe its a true addiction..but I picked up a couple more trees today. I found the fattest 'Lemon Meringue' Mango and couldn't pass it up. It did seem to have some yellowing of the leaves with some brown tips but I figured a tree with a caliper trunk this size would be resilient..I hope it a safe bet, if anyone can name the deficiency you will make me one happy mango owner...I also included some other pics of what I picked up today...
Lemon Meringue

Duncan

Valencia Pride

Canistel Trompo

Carambola Sri Kembangan

Rollinia Deiciosa

Dragon Fruit unknown cultivar but looking good!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: A couple new mangos--need some advice
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »
The stork delivered some new babies. Yeah very nice trunk on that on the Lemon Meringue. I would get it into the ground as soon as you can. It might be bound up in that pot.  Unbind those roots and plant.  To unbind I cut away roots on the side and the bottom. I would give it slow release NPK with trace elements in 14 days. I would get the fertilizer in by the sides of the rootball by slight digging up of side soil, place the fertilizer, then replace soil. You could give it 1-2 well dispersed tablespoons slow release NPK with trace elements on planting day but others here don't like that idea

You could give it Southern Ag citrus foliar spray and some foliar iron

Mulch

My 2¢  worth
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:08:22 PM by zands »

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 04:18:51 PM »
Beware the voices...  Actually, the stuff you bought looks great.

My mom gave me a piece of dragon fruit with similar flowers.  She told me it was Zamorano.
Brandon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
I assume you weren't planning to plant the VP next to the fence like that, or any of the other trees for that matter.

The Sri Kembangan is one very good carambola.  The key is letting it get fully ripe on the tree before picking so that their flavor and sweetness are at their maximum potential (should be a nice deep orange color...just be careful when picking because they become very delicate and can bruise or be damaged easily).  If they are picked before fully ripe (with green on them) they have a distinct acidic nuance and can also be slightly astringent.
- Rob

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »
Mike - that's one HELL of a trunk on the old Merenque!!!!!!!!!!!

Zands is the man to listen too.....great advice!

KEEP US POSTED, young man, on her vertical movements.....

fang

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 09:00:40 PM »
Wow...NICE trees! Love the huge trunk on your LM (PPK)...You got some good size trees, lots of luck with them!

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 03:52:56 PM »
The stork delivered some new babies. Yeah very nice trunk on that on the Lemon Meringue. I would get it into the ground as soon as you can. It might be bound up in that pot.  Unbind those roots and plant.  To unbind I cut away roots on the side and the bottom. I would give it slow release NPK with trace elements in 14 days. I would get the fertilizer in by the sides of the rootball by slight digging up of side soil, place the fertilizer, then replace soil. You could give it 1-2 well dispersed tablespoons slow release NPK with trace elements on planting day but others here don't like that idea

Mulch

My 2¢  worth
It went in the ground today...Nice and overcast here in Boynton for planting! I also added Great White Mycorrhizae to the hole.. Has anyone used this? I hope it helps. I will update if and when the plant perks up....

natsgarden123

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 04:16:27 PM »

Mulch

My 2¢  worth
It went in the ground today...Nice and overcast here in Boynton for planting! I also added Great White Mycorrhizae to the hole.. Has anyone used this? I hope it helps. I will update if and when the plant perks up....

What is that stuff?  ::)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »
^Lol

Nice fruit trees you got there! I'm pretty sure the lemon meringue will take off with a bit of TLC.
Alexi

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 04:35:36 PM »
I've used "Mycorrhizae many years ago. I personally didn't see any benefits but I didn't see anything  detrimental) either. So I'm sure its fine and certainly can't hurt...and it might even help. There are people that love that stuff and swears by it.. It was definitely not the same brand as you're using. I'm sure your trees will take off in a few weeks...

We had a nice rain a little while ago...got about .75"...now I don't have to water my newly planted trees...I love it when it rains around every 3 or 4 days this time of year.

Good luck with your trees!

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 06:53:56 AM »
I've used "Mycorrhizae many years ago. I personally didn't see any benefits but I didn't see anything  detrimental) either. So I'm sure its fine and certainly can't hurt...and it might even help. There are people that love that stuff and swears by it.. It was definitely not the same brand as you're using. I'm sure your trees will take off in a few weeks...

We had a nice rain a little while ago...got about .75"...now I don't have to water my newly planted trees...I love it when it rains around every 3 or 4 days this time of year.

Good luck with your trees!
MY neighbor is a wholesaler of garden supplies and sells orchids and he uses it a lot. He gives me samples of stuff all the time to try out. I figured it couldn't hurt. I also added it to my Duncan before planting. I'll let you know if I have a bean stalk to the sky in a couple days....