Author Topic: how to deal with Armillaria Root Rot  (Read 989 times)

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
how to deal with Armillaria Root Rot
« on: June 12, 2020, 02:26:24 AM »
I discovered Armillaria Root Rot in one region of my farm, it killed one oak tree, one mulberry seedling and a blackberry growing nearby. The oak tree showed symptoms foof stress the last two years. The roots were white. any advice on how to proceed?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: how to deal with Armillaria Root Rot
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 04:00:37 PM »
Do not use any parts of the oak as a mulch for otther trees because you can spread it if you do.
Id take it out especially if the oak its dead and extract the roots also.
The wood its good to use for fire or for any otther purpose except woodchips for mulch.
Aparently its impossible to kill armillaria and there is no cure for it.
Soil fumigations might work the best and planting resistant species of trees to isolate the infected spot.
Also,if you like to eat Armillaria mushrooms ,like i do,be carefull where you throw the parts resulted from cleaning and even the water in wich you wash them.Do not throw it in the garden or on the compost pile .

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 03:36:08 AM »
Thank you for the info! Do you think its better to keep watering the area or keep it dry?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 04:20:55 PM »
From what i read about Armillaria,in times of drought it kills trees because it takes the water out from them and the trees loose their leaves because they are dehydrated.
Sometimes the trees can recover and flush new leaves.
Are you sure its Armillaria? Did you find the black strings under the rotten bark?
The forest from where i colect Armillaria to eat has manny healty trees that are infected with Armillaria for decades and they show no sign of being sick otther than the mushrooms sprouting from their base.
They are resistant trees thogh.