Author Topic: Vexator Blooms  (Read 2735 times)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Vexator Blooms
« on: April 03, 2015, 07:35:20 PM »
I know its a horrible photo but you get the drift..

I have seen these on one branch of my M.vexator  the past couple years, the tree is about 4'x4' age roughly 5yrs?

No fruit sets and all blooms appear on this one branch only.. How long before the tree begins to bloom all over from this stage (Adam)??

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: Vexator Blooms
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 07:43:40 PM »
Congrats Patrick , mine are the same size and you are ahead one step . I wonder if pruning like a jaboticaba would help .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 08:08:53 PM »

You know.....that is a horrible picture. Notwithstanding your photographic acumen, I would that the answer is probably that there is no definite answer.  I have friend that has a couple of vexator trees.  They are approximately the same size and age.  One blooms profusely and the other only sporadically and on limited branches.

I'm going to go out on a limb.  You will have much more bloom on the next blooming cycle. That's my prediction.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 08:29:39 PM »
good answer hausman,

I was just going to guess that it should start blooming heavily in about 2-3yrs.

also, Luc, yes, it does help to prune this species!

I'm going to prune mine for the first time in about 8yrs....I will take before and after pics!  it will be a drastic change.

You know.....that is a horrible picture. Notwithstanding your photographic acumen, I would that the answer is probably that there is no definite answer.  I have friend that has a couple of vexator trees.  They are approximately the same size and age.  One blooms profusely and the other only sporadically and on limited branches.

I'm going to go out on a limb.  You will have much more bloom on the next blooming cycle. That's my prediction.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 12:35:16 PM »
Thanks guys.. I look forward to your pruning photos Adam.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 03:51:09 PM »
Thanks guys.. I look forward to your pruning photos Adam.

Me too before I screw something up ....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 03:12:50 PM »
I have 2 vexators, one from Puerto Rico, the other from Excalibur. Both are over 8 years old. The one from Excalibur flowered for the first 1.5  - 2 years, setting really sparse crops before giving me a bumper crop this year. The one from PR, has flowered for 2 years, but still sets a sparse crop. Also, the one from PR has sour fruits, while the one from Ex is sweeter than sabara. Perhaps there is some variation in Vexes?
Jeff  :-)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 06:44:18 PM »
Congrats Patrick. I hope you get some fruit set.  I have a 5 ft tall by 4 ft wide in a 15 gal pot.  In the past, I barely looked at it more than to see if it needed watering. I figured I had 5 years before I got any action.  Now I will be checking it all the time. With my luck, you just set me up for 5 years of fruitless searching. ;D

I have 2 vexators, one from Puerto Rico, the other from Excalibur. Both are over 8 years old. The one from Excalibur flowered for the first 1.5  - 2 years, setting really sparse crops before giving me a bumper crop this year. The one from PR, has flowered for 2 years, but still sets a sparse crop. Also, the one from PR has sour fruits, while the one from Ex is sweeter than sabara. Perhaps there is some variation in Vexes?

I think jabos are less true from seed than we were brought to believe based on the reds I have planted. I don't notice too much difference in the taste but leaf shape and growth habit.
Brandon