Author Topic: Need more details about Phoenix mango  (Read 7745 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Need more details about Phoenix mango
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:00:04 PM »
Seems better to start a new topic for this I guess. I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on the mango trees purchase and I came upon the relatively new Phoenix. I've done the searching but find very little specific info on it other than that most people seem to think it's top tier (unless I'm missing a more detailed discussion, in which case I'd welcome a link). My current list is Pickering, Kesar, Maha, Sweet Tart, Edgar and Venus - how does Phoenix compare with ST and Venus in terms of taste, disease resistance, tree size/vigor, and season? What's top tier about it? Thanks in advance.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Need more details about Phoenix mango
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 01:10:52 PM »
Its parent is a Dot (Phoenix is from a Dot seedling).  Since it was just released, there is no real info on how it will do and its characteristics on nursery stock.  It could very well show different characteristics in different locations.

- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »
But how does it TASTE??? ???  (I think it's been said that it's equal to ST and better than Venus, but no specifics were given.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:49:11 AM by johnb51 »
John

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 07:48:56 AM »
 :-\  And is the Phoenix that is a Dot seedling is different from the Golden Phoenix mango from Thailand? GP is also a "new" mango on the other side of the world.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:38:17 AM »
Different, I'd say.
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »
:-\  And is the Phoenix that is a Dot seedling is different from the Golden Phoenix mango from Thailand? GP is also a "new" mango on the other side of the world.

Can you give us some info on the Golden Phoenix?
- Rob

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 04:47:50 PM »
Rob the only background I got was that it was from Thailand - I didn't buy any coz I couldn't get more info? But I can go back and get one next weekend (plant) if you need a picture? I was hoping the seller would have fruit to try but they don't. I'm more of a give me a taste test so I'll know if I want to plant one? I've started seeing people trying to ask about it (parentage, any fruit sampling exp) on local discussion groups October last year.

That's why I wanted to know if it might be the same - say what if someone just got scions from someplace and just named it slightly different
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 04:52:21 PM by DimplesLee »
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
did anyone taste the Phoenix Mango this year? I know it's a relatively new release but some people on this forum have good connections. I'm interested in how it compares to DOT? Thanks

Simon

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 07:22:13 PM »
We had 3 Phoenix mangoes a couple Sundays ago and each one was rather horrible.  Most of the mangoes we tried were either washed out in flavor or just not good at all.  I would not count this year a good indication on how your mangoes can really taste.  Still worries me a bit because I have a Phoenix!   :o

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 08:09:16 PM »
I am growing phoenix now myself and it is very vigorous! it pushed new growth 4 weeks ago max and nodes are over a foot long. Now it is pushing new growth again and flushing. Disease resistance from what I can tell, looks much better than Dot which sits 22 ft from it. Flavor has been described by only a few on here but so many opinions, I would only trust your own taste buds. With a parent like Dot, you just can't lose however! My Phoenix will be 6 ft. plus this year. After one more summer, it will be fruiting for sure.

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 09:08:39 PM »
I am growing phoenix now myself and it is very vigorous! it pushed new growth 4 weeks ago max and nodes are over a foot long. Now it is pushing new growth again and flushing. Disease resistance from what I can tell, looks much better than Dot which sits 22 ft from it. Flavor has been described by only a few on here but so many opinions, I would only trust your own taste buds. With a parent like Dot, you just can't lose however! My Phoenix will be 6 ft. plus this year. After one more summer, it will be fruiting for sure.

I am also growing a phoenix and can report similar growth habit. Very vigorous flushing spaced well apart. I have a cotton candy as well which is slower with flushes and nodes closer together. I'm hoping for fruit in a couple of years, so time will tell! I'm optimistic from what I've read about taste.
John

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 09:22:20 PM »
Good to hear John! I also have the Cotton Candy and will report seemingly identical growth, much slower! I am actually going to pull it out and replace it with Honey Kiss. Did not mean to hijack the thread with that info.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 10:17:14 PM »
Thanks for the information everyone, I really like the flavor of DOT but have not had the pleasure of sampling the Phoenix yet. I hope that since it's a DOT seedling, it would be an improvement over DOT in either the flavor, growth, disease resistance, etc...

Simon

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 10:29:27 PM »
You will hit a home run, no doubt. Disease resistance so far looks good, a very clean tree! much cleaner than Lemon Zest and about the same as Cotton Candy from what I can tell. Of course they have to hold fruit for the real important test.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 07:15:56 PM »
Update on this older post. I just tasted the Phoenix mango at fruitscapes in Bokeelia today. The flavor was only fair at best. Slightly chalky for some reason. It was a Zills fruit and I noticed many over there just do not taste as good as when grown over here. My tree is almost 8 ft now so will let it fruit next year to see if it's worthy to stay in the yard.
Steve the owner said every one he has had has been sour. Now I am really baffled!

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 12:00:04 PM »

I hope when u ur able to fruit it and Give us updates on ur phoenix tree.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 03:45:15 PM »
Only had one fruit last year and it was wonderful

A mixture of sweet and sour but refined unlike the sweet tart that jolts you

I let it go without sprays to check it’s PM resistance this season

It has none and will lose all its fruit if left unchecked

Even with the loss of some crop and the fruit are blemished it set more than expected

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 06:40:05 PM »
So its now confirmed that Phoenix is a Jakarta seedling not Dot.

sammmy

• SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 01:02:09 AM »
Confirmed by whom? 

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 01:27:21 PM »
Gary Zill