Author Topic: Dianella congesta: A tasty, fluorescent-colored fruit?  (Read 2189 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Dianella congesta: A tasty, fluorescent-colored fruit?
« on: December 03, 2013, 11:21:17 AM »
Trying to decide whether to add this one to my want-list:

Beach flax-lily. I ran into it while doing a bit of research on the family tree of aloe. This species is reportedly the best tasting of the dianellas (a genus in the same family, most members taste insipid).  I'm familiar with several other fluorescent-looking fruits but they're generally inedible or with poor flavor.  This forum:

http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6382.html

states:

Well what can I say....Tasty, and the description of it being sweet till u chew the seeds which brings on a nutty flavour is totally correct.

Anyone have experience with this plant? It'd be especially neat if the color was retained after cooking.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:07:55 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Adacaosky

• View Profile
Re: Dianella congestis: A tasty, fluorescent-colored fruit?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 05:09:34 PM »
Wow, this is the first I've heard of this fruit! How interesting, especially that colour.... I'm wondering if the antioxidant levels are high like in other blue/purple fruits....

Good luck with this one!
✌🏽

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 05:32:41 PM »
There are quite a few Dianellas around my neck of the woods including this one and they all have bright blue or purple fruits.I have never heard of someone trying to eat them in spite of their abundance in some places.I imagine rumours of them being ok to eat are exaggerated.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »
Wow, this is the first I've heard of this fruit! How interesting, especially that colour.... I'm wondering if the antioxidant levels are high like in other blue/purple fruits....

I found a research paper that said that they found three new, highly intense anthocyanin pigments in one of its sister species that was studied - probably here too. Anthocyanins are a family of pigments with antioxidant activity that are found in, for example, blueberries and cranberries, and which seem to have a number of health benefits.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:42:44 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »
There are quite a few Dianellas around my neck of the woods including this one and they all have bright blue or purple fruits.I have never heard of someone trying to eat them in spite of their abundance in some places.I imagine rumours of them being ok to eat are exaggerated.

There's dozens of species and from what I've read, most of them are disgusting - but some are reportedly good, like the linked report (where the taster is apparently agreeing with another report he had read). Do you know what species you have?

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »
I think I still have a few different dianella sp. mostly caerulea. They are supposedly edible, but I have always forgotten to have a try when they are in fruit. They are not too fond of crowded and shady spots, so many of my border planted ones have declined or died since my trees have gained a bit of bulk. They do have lovely flower sprays and the fruits are very ornamental, but I cant vouch for their taste.

Congesta is native here and I've seen a few around. I might pick one up from the local native nursery for $2 to have a try. Here are a few of the native species with a tiny bit of notes:
http://www.qld.greeningaustralia.org.au/gaqotsasp/07_plant_search/species.asp?page=3

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 07:06:56 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dianella_(plant)

There is a few species around and congesta is supposed to be the best to eat if you can be bothered.