Author Topic: Mango Graft Day(May3)  (Read 6285 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Mango Graft Day(May3)
« on: April 25, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »
Greg, Cuban007 and MangoDog..... you guys ready? Here are the seedlings I will graft on to. Any suggestion on what type of graft I should try? beside the cleft and veneer

This one is on the ground it had little mango in one branch I'll leave those alone.

Greg1029

• 10b Ca. 90602
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Graft Day(May3)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »
That's a crazy looking seedling.  How many trunks does the one on the right have?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »
That's a crazy looking seedling.  How many trunks does the one on the right have?

LOL THREE. The little one the same. I'm going to perform like 20 grafts..
JF
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:56:46 PM by JF »

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:43 PM »
..as ready as I'll NEVER be, JF.....we should talk the day before so you can remind me again what to bring.....my nerves feel racked already!

Fang, the grafting murderer....

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:56:20 PM »
Is that three seeds in one pot or three sprouts from one seed? What type of mango seed?

Just curious.

Jason "Pepe"
???

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:00:08 PM »
..as ready as I'll NEVER be, JF.....we should talk the day before so you can remind me again what to bring.....my nerves feel racked already!

Fang, the grafting murderer....

no big deal Gary

on May the third we are breaking out of our combined zero for thirty slump

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »
Is that three seeds in one pot or three sprouts from one seed? What type of mango seed?

Just curious.

Jason "Pepe"
???

Hi Pepe welcome to the forum!

Yes, three sprouts from an Ataulfo seed from Nayarit MX.

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 11:53:02 PM »
So I guess you guys are going to have fun. Enjoy! What variety scion wood are you going to use? You can make quite a mango cocktail tree.

Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Take care,

Jason "Pepe"

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 03:16:15 AM »
Greg, Cuban007 and MangoDog..... you guys ready? Here are the seedlings I will graft on to. Any suggestion on what type of graft I should try? beside the cleft and veneer

You let three sprouts from one seed (poly-embryonic) growing there? I am mightily impressed. You have a mini-mango forest to graft onto. I am going to be looking for poly-E seeds to sprout this season the same way. Beyond cool  8) 8) 8) you are the first I have seen doing this.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 07:06:01 AM »
I have done research on fruit cocktail trees and came to the conclusion that grafting varieties of the same growth rate and habit is very successful!

Grafting mangoes of the same growth rate and habit should be highly successful too and also choosing mangoes of different harvest times!
I think it's awesome to have a Mango cocktail tree so that you can also harvest fruit's throughout the season!

Here's one example due to fail...
Grafting a tree with a dwarf variety, let say ''Julie''...then grafting another branch with a vigorous var. like ''Valencia pride'' ...
Julie will get stunted and V.P will take over!

I think it's better to graft Dwarf with Dwarf...Vigorous with Vigorous!!! Any thoughts members???

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:07:57 AM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 07:32:58 AM »
I have done research on fruit cocktail trees and came to the conclusion that grafting varieties of the same growth rate and habit is very successful!

Grafting mangoes of the same growth rate and habit should be highly successful too and also choosing mangoes of different harvest times!
I think it's awesome to have a Mango cocktail tree so that you can also harvest fruit's throughout the season!

Here's one example due to fail...
Grafting a tree with a dwarf variety, let say ''Julie''...then grafting another branch with a vigorous var. like ''Valencia pride'' ...
Julie will get stunted and V.P will take over!

I think it's better to graft Dwarf with Dwarf...Vigorous with Vigorous!!! Any thoughts members???

That is correct.  Also it is recommended to graft varieties that will bloom at the same time so as not to cause extra stress on the tree.
Adiel

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 11:13:30 AM »
Joe,

I would love to join you folks if you dont mind. When and where are you going to do the grafts? I want to see how you folks do the mango grafts as I will be doing some grafts on mango as well comes mid May or so.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »
Joe, we never saw any follow-up pictures or comments on how your professional grafting went on May 3rd. Would love to see how it turned out and any tips on what you learned from the pro?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 08:37:02 PM »
Joe, we never saw any follow-up pictures or comments on how your professional grafting went on May 3rd. Would love to see how it turned out and any tips on what you learned from the pro?

Belh

I've posted in another thread what I believe is my first mango graft to take, it's a Coconut Cream scion from my tree. I had one maha chanok die but I have others that are still green. Other possible take are: Angie, Dot, Duncan and Rapoza. Well just have to wait a few weeks and see. I did a total of 20 some grafts I'll feel lucky if 3 or 4 take.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:38:37 PM by murahilin »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk