Author Topic: Effect of interstock on growth of vigorous Mango cultivars  (Read 844 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Effect of interstock on growth of vigorous Mango cultivars
« on: August 27, 2019, 12:31:52 AM »
I came upon this article that discusses the effect of interstocks on specific vigorous cultivars of Mangos. Note that the interstock decreases the vigor of specific varieties but not others. This may be useful for growers that want to keep a mango smaller but some experimentation will be required unless you use the varieties discussed in the article.

https://www.scitechnol.com/download.php?download=peer-review-pdfs/effect-of-interstock-on-growth-of-vigorous-mango-cultivars-under-eastern-plateau-and-hill-region-of-india-Wxzq.pdf

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Effect of interstock on growth of vigorous Mango cultivars
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »
That is interesting, especially given dwarfing rootstock’s conundrum - growing so slow means it takes a while to get rootstock to a workable size. This could provide an alternative. I wonder if say Julie interstock would have similar effects.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Effect of interstock on growth of vigorous Mango cultivars
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 06:54:18 PM »
Yeah, I would think Julie would impart a similar dwarfing effect on specific varieties. It would be interesting if there is an interstock that could decrease internode length and increase production. I wonder how Carrie would work out as an interstock?

This article shows how complex the interactions are between interstocks and scions, affecting specific cultivars but not others.

It makes me wonder if there are specific interstocks or rootstocks that can impart disease resistance to the scion.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk