Author Topic: Leo Hybrid #3  (Read 2526 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Leo Hybrid #3
« on: April 10, 2020, 06:19:29 PM »
Whomever contacted Leo Manuel to request scions from his Leo Hybrid #3 tree, please contact him and cancel or postpone your request until the COVID 19 situation has blown over.

Everyone should be thoughtful in these crazy times and please try to avoid contact with elderly folks or requesting the elderly to go out, especially in the rain to harvest scions. The Leo #3 Hybrid tree is next to a small drop off of about 4-5 feet and it is extremely slippery out on Leo’s hill.

Leo has difficulty walking and even if he were able to harvest the scions in between the rain showers, he could potentially get infected when dropping the package off at the post office.

Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Leo Hybrid #3
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 06:29:13 PM »
Well put Simon ;)

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 06:47:34 PM »
I doubt they read this board, but if they do, I would like to offer them scions from my tree, prepped and wrapped.

I prune it back yearly, and will have scions available next year.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 02:07:50 PM »
It doesn’t matter whom that person is, I’m sure it was an oversight on their part. I know how it is when your brain is targeted on a specific plant or scion that you’re very eager to acquire and you want it as soon as possible.

I’m pretty sure that person comes on this forum unless they are very good friends of Leo. Very few people outside of this forum know about the Leo #3 Hybrid.

Anyways, I hope everyone stays safe out there and please be especially mindful of those that are elderly or have pre existing health conditions.

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 11:36:41 PM »
 A few very aggressive people have been asking me for cuttings of this tree too.  People I don't know and have never seen here.  If I say it will be available next spring please don't beg and bother me to cut it now.  Its super annoying, if I had more to sell I would.  People text messaging me even I dont know them and have no idea how they know I have this tree or how they got my number !

There will be plenty to go around next spring, Simon planted several of them here over the last few years and they are now getting large enough to chop up after this summer.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 11:46:56 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Mark B

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »
I doubt they read this board, but if they do, I would like to offer them scions from my tree, prepped and wrapped.

I prune it back yearly, and will have scions available next year.

Thanks Oolie- I'm excited to trial Mr. Manuel's hybrids in South Florida!

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 06:54:48 PM »
Hey Simon or Brad,

I got this hybrid of Leo's a few years ago, does it look familiar? Do you have a clue as to which one it is? It's a bit sunburned and I just picked it today as it was starting to split from all the rain.

Thanks,

Mark

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 01:22:24 AM »
At first glance, I thought you were holding a well decorated chocolate cookie or some other backing project.  Perhaps the variety could be called Coochie Cookie Island :)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 11:48:07 PM »
Hey Mark,

I don’t recognize that fruit. I wonder if that could be Leo Hybrid #2? I don’t recall ever sampling his #2 Hybrid so I’m not positive.

Simon

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 09:29:03 PM »
Hey Mark,

I don’t recognize that fruit. I wonder if that could be Leo Hybrid #2? I don’t recall ever sampling his #2 Hybrid so I’m not positive.

Simon
It has an amazing taste and very few seeds. I couldn't measure the brix, but it is pretty sweet.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 02:04:01 PM »
I’ll forward the pic to Leo to see if he can identify it.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 08:11:49 AM »
Hey Simon or Brad,

I got this hybrid of Leo's a few years ago, does it look familiar? Do you have a clue as to which one it is? It's a bit sunburned and I just picked it today as it was starting to split from all the rain.

Thanks,

Mark

Hey Mark, Leo asked if you have a picture of the inside of the fruit? He doesn’t recall what variety it is by the looks of the outside.

Simon

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 05:26:46 PM »
Hey Simon or Brad,

Thanks,

Mark

Hey Mark, Leo asked if you have a picture of the inside of the fruit? He doesn’t recall what variety it is by the looks of the outside.

Simon
Hey Simon, here is the inside of the fruit.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 10:47:12 AM »
Hey Mark,

I emailed the picture to Leo and he said he is not sure what variety that is. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for any fruit that looks similar to the one you posted next time I visit Leo after the Covid blows over.

Simon

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 09:59:57 PM »
I thought I would bump this back up.

I found a great reason to graft the leo#3 up high on your trees. I noticed all of my cherimoya grafts languished in the summer heat with our scorching 45* plus days, and I noticed that none of the grafts with sugar apple parentage suffered any damage.

Looks like atemoya and atemoya hybrids are incredibly well suited to the scorching heat that causes the cherimoya leaves to scorch and defoliate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk