Author Topic: Fruit Fly control with Fipronil  (Read 1669 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Fruit Fly control with Fipronil
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:06:48 PM »
One method of fruit fly control that is taking off here is to use Fipronil. Generally a male FF pheremone is used and mixed with Fipronil.
Fipronil is the stuff used to treat fleas and ticks in dogs and to treat termite problems. It doesnt kill the target immediately, but lasts in the target's body for a day or so and it spreads to every other fruit fly (termite, flea, tick) that is comes into contact with, killing many of the target species with one exposure.

Generally the source of the chemical is taken from Frontline dog tablets and ground into something like Wild May pheremone and a wick is soaked in the solution and hung in trees where it does its business. The dog tablets cost about $10/pipette ($60 for a 6 pack). I've also found liquid sources (used for termite control) that have the same concentration that I'd assume would mix better and are more cost effective in the long run, but cost more up front as you buy them by the litre (about $150+ per L). You only use a tiny about of the Fipronil per litre of pheremone, so a litre of Fipronil would probably last years.

Before I jump on the bandwagon, I wanted to ask if anyone here has any experience with Fipronil and if it might cause wider damage? I'm unsure if fruit fly is the food species of anything in particular, but Im still a bit worried it could cause wider damage, although the wick is hypothetically isolated in the tree and shouldnt attract many other species outside of the target.

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit Fly control with Fipronil
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:34:17 PM »
This is very interesting inn theory. In reading, its mode of action in killing insect  colonies happens because they are communal insects, spending much time in contact with each other. You state that 'this method is taking off here'.
Have you seen such results? If true would be great advance. Has your ag authority done any studies? The technique should be very specific to FF.
I have found the female pheromone to be an outstanding attractant for males but does not kill them[ they usually are caught in a trap]. It only takes one mating & the female is good for life!
found some info & prices & would not be expensive  if it did the job.[ ref http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/fipronil-c-114_115.html]

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit Fly control with Fipronil
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 09:11:32 PM »
I've not read or heard of the DPI, or whatever it is now called, testing this. Most of the info has come from well regarded growers who have been doing it for about a year and have noticed a big difference in the FF populations. There are anecdotal articles in most of the fruit club newsletters here and there is a little more detailed article in the latest Tropical Fruit Review magazine about the technique, but nothing scientific.

My main concern is that many growers are likely to only notice the impact on the fruit fly and not on any other species that may become affected. It would be great if the ag dept here did a test and study of its use, but with rampant government cutbacks hitting science hard, I dont have high hopes for anything in the near future.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk