Author Topic: Rare fruit locations Tenerife  (Read 1248 times)

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
Rare fruit locations Tenerife
« on: September 18, 2019, 06:25:48 AM »
Hi,
Im going fruit hunting on Tenerife in Nov.  Can you tell me the best botanic gardens, parks, farms, nurseries? And are there any TFF members there willing to meet and share some experience? Also, i have been travelling in mountain areas of Borneo and SE-Asia and i am looking for someone ( preferably on the north coast or Anaga/Teno) willing to try growing fruit like mountain durian, Artocarpus, garcinia, rambutan in Tenerife.

I have already been to the Botanico, the Higuela, Sitio Litre, Jardin Aquatico, Garcia Sanabria and the Palmetum and know about Hamilton Gardens, Tigaiga gardens,Victoria gardens, la Constitution and la Granha. Im even more interested in tropical fruit farms and nurseries and most of all in fruit addicts like me.
Thank you in advance☺️

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Rare fruit locations Tenerife
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 06:54:31 PM »
The best places open to public are:
- Jardi Botanico
- Palmetum

Nursery:
- La Cosma in Bajamar

Private Orchad:
- Finca Niguaria (they will only attend you if you speak spanish)

The real highlight regarding tropical fruit is the experimental orchad from the research institute in Cueva del Polvo:
https://www.icia.es/icia/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=28

You can try to contact them, but as far as I know they are no more opened to public or visitors. Only from time to time they make guided tours.

Regarding growing Borneo tropicals in Tenerife, the north of the island is worse for growing them, because it is cooler and they don't get as much heat as in south. The hot southern microclimate is better suited for tropicals. I have never tried with mountain durian, but the regular one and rambutan will not survive... which artocarpur are you refering to?

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 02:04:53 PM »
Thank you, yes, i was planning to contact Cueva del Polvo.

I have been in quite cold Borneo mountains ( T not rising above 11C for days un Feb), so i think the north or even the laurisilva might be better for the fruit of those areas than the south.
I would try all Artocarpus i can find, some might survive.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 02:41:29 PM »
Watch for wild fires, wild fires and wild fires these days. Have a fruitful trip. Triphal

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
You have to contact ICIA, not Cueva del Polvo  ;D

Here is a contact list: https://www.icia.es/icia/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4628&Itemid=100290

I am pretty sure laurisilva is too cold for mountain durio and artocarpus. It is very good for temperate fruits, but not tropicals. Keep in mind, that Borneo is in the tropics and Canary Islands in the subtropics. I would try Borneo mountain stuff close to sea level in CI. the Climate range should be fine, but other factors could be a problem like air humidity, ph, salts, ect..

If you need help germinating seeds or growing stuff, let me know...

Thank you, yes, i was planning to contact Cueva del Polvo.

I have been in quite cold Borneo mountains ( T not rising above 11C for days un Feb), so i think the north or even the laurisilva might be better for the fruit of those areas than the south.
I would try all Artocarpus i can find, some might survive.

You have to contact

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 04:53:37 AM »
Thank you.
I just need some fruit crazy garden owner in Macaronesia to try and grow some seeds i might get from Borneo, i will not even try germinating them in Germany.
Although the Brazilian loquat from the tropics grows better in Heidelberg than the mediterranean varieties😂