Author Topic: Durians for Christmas in Rangoon  (Read 1894 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Durians for Christmas in Rangoon
« on: December 25, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »
I was a bit worried when i first arrived to Rangoon (or Yangon now) in Burma (currently calling itself Myanmar). I looked around but durians were nowhere to be seen. In fact most of the fruits were temperates like apples, pear, strawberry, with a few bananas, pineapple, and watermelon. For the most part pretty boring stuff. But today walking around main city centre i did find some vendors with durians, mangosteen, and jackfruit. It's possible that the durians and mangosteens are imported from Thailand, but not sure on that. But the fruits looked and tasted differently than the monthongs and kan yaos in Bangkok. The arils had a bit of orange/pinkish tinge and unlike the monthongs did have some viable seeds inside. I managed again to get the durian back into my hotel. A bigger risk this time as this one had a big "durians prohibited" sign. I got the vendor to open the durian fruits and put the arils inside some plastic sealed styrofoam containers. Once in my room i slip them into my fridge, and oila...almost zero smell...until i open the fridge. I find that a majority of the smell comes from the rind, so if you get rid of the rind you can pretty much go undetected. If you don't hear from me again it's because i got kicked out of my hotel and homeless on streets of Rangoon.  ;)

I might find more selection tomorrow as main market was closed today. You won't believe this but they were closed for Christmas. BUT this is a 95% Buddhist country, and the other 5% contains almost no Christians. So why they close for Christmas is beyond me!!!??
Oscar

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Durians for Christmas in Rangoon
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 11:01:11 AM »
You are a real globetrotter! I wonder if there are any rare tropical fruit gems in Myanmar. Seems like it may be too northern, though.

Next, you're gonna tell us you're in Borneo, or some other exotic place. I've always thought there might be exotic stuff in Papua New Guinea!

Send more pics, please.

Jaime

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 11:54:20 AM »
You are a real globetrotter! I wonder if there are any rare tropical fruit gems in Myanmar. Seems like it may be too northern, though.

Next, you're gonna tell us you're in Borneo, or some other exotic place. I've always thought there might be exotic stuff in Papua New Guinea!

Send more pics, please.

Jaime

Don't think it's too far north, not much different than Bankok which is 14N and Rangoon is 16N. They definitely can grow it if we can grow it in Hawaii at 19N. Weather here is just as hot right now as it was in Bangkok. Actually just checked it, it's 2 degrees hotter right now at midnight than at Bangkok, 25C vs. 23C.
I'm sure there are gems here, but it would take a lot of digging to find them.
Actually i thought of skipping over to Sabah, especially after i heard it's plain durian season and that it was a good harvest this year..  ;D
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »
Great story and pix as always Oscar and I hope you keep a few great snaps up your sleeve for future threads.You must have a few miles under your belt from this trip.
It is surprising that durians are available in winter in Rangoon.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 03:23:27 PM »
Oscar, do you follow the durians or the durians follow you everywhere? ;)
My last time taste of durian was 4 years ago, almost forgotten the smell and the taste. :(

If you don't hear from me again it's because i got kicked out of my hotel and homeless on streets of Rangoon.  ;)
Homeless but happy, stomach full of durian! ;)

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk