Author Topic: Anyone growing muscadine?  (Read 15174 times)

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone growing muscadine?
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 07:14:40 PM »
I really like mine ....... I bought 2 bronze, 2 black, and 2 red from Willis orchards online about 5 years ago. I think male and femaie of each. They produce 100's of grapes each year maintenance free other than a spring pruning each year. Over ripe is when to pick them ........ Extremely sweet

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 07:22:01 PM »
http://www.twigsandberries.net/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=159

anyone heard of this variety, Tari's burgundy ?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 07:50:14 PM »
X
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:04:29 PM by Sanddollarmoon »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »
http://www.twigsandberries.net/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=159

anyone heard of this variety, Tari's burgundy ?

I have one I got at Benders Grove. It is being propagated at Pine Island Nursery so it seems. Too young for me to say anything about it but I have high hopes.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 02:18:53 AM »
I have Ison Black and some others. I like muscadines. You have to pick them ripe as possible, over ripe is better than under ripe. Then they are sweet as possible. The skins mights still be astringent so swallow them or spit them out or do what you like

Though if you chew and eat the skins on the dark muscadines you will get that good stuff called --- resveratrol

I'll take muscadines any day over seedless supermarket grapes. They are acidic because picked too early

Finally something we can agree on. I like the strong wild taste of muscadines. I find Thompson seedless and red flame seedless to be pretty bland and tasteless. Seems like most of the fine varieties of grapes grown in this country don't make it to the shelves because they are turned into wine, which is more profitable for the grower.
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »
Might burn it is your point.....

You can't beat a slow release food when planting anything.   Spread on the ground next to the vine....... I use a handful of Polyon (same thing as Osmocote), a 11 month, 18-4-9 with micros, and I have such vigor that I usually have not only a trunk by the end of the first year but full term cordons on each side of it down the cordon wire, 33" long for a total fruiting area just short of 6' which is the spacing of my vines.   . 

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
I find Thompson seedless and red flame seedless to be pretty bland and tasteless. Seems like most of the fine varieties of grapes grown in this country don't make it to the shelves because they are turned into wine, which is more profitable for the grower.

They're tasteless just like any other product that is mass produced, they're picked before perfection....same as cados, etc.  Using a refractometer, I run Brix (sugar) tests on store bought fruit and most of the eating grapes like Thompson Seedless, Flame, or August Black you find in a grocery store are around 14 brix.   They are grown for size and sex appeal by using such tricks as hormone sprays and/or cluster thinning.   You don't start getting good flavor from a grape until it hits say......18 brix.  We never pick my grapes before they hit 22Brix and 90% of the time they are harvested in between 22-25* Brix for maximum flavor, color, and sugar and acid.   That Brix level will hit about 12-15% alcohol.  As an aside, we make delicious grape jelly at that level of sweetness and richness.  Nothing beats it, especially when we add blueberries to the mix before canning!

Mark
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:08:54 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 10:03:59 AM »
Though if you chew and eat the skins on the dark muscadines you will get that good stuff called --- resveratrol

Funny you should mention that.  Remember that huge cluster in my hand on the first page?  That is one of my faves, Tannat, the signature red wine grape of Uruguay  which also has the highest level of resveratrol and other beneficial compounds of any varietal. 

Red wines were once thought to be good for you because of their resveratrol content. This idea is now controversial, but other compounds in red wine, particularly Tannat, are now believed to be very good for promoting health and longevity.
- See more at: http://www.vinodiversity.com/tannat.html#sthash.qd0Kk0rX.dpuf

Tannat:

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:25:22 AM by Mark in Texas »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »
I have Ison Black and some others. I like muscadines. You have to pick them ripe as possible, over ripe is better than under ripe. Then they are sweet as possible. The skins mights still be astringent so swallow them or spit them out or do what you like

I'll take muscadines any day over seedless supermarket grapes. They are acidic because picked too early

Finally something we can agree on. I like the strong wild taste of muscadines. I find Thompson seedless and red flame seedless to be pretty bland and tasteless. Seems like most of the fine varieties of grapes grown in this country don't make it to the shelves because they are turned into wine, which is more profitable for the grower.

Does anyone grow muscadines in Hawaii? The seeded varieties of watermelon and grapes are superior. To not have seeds mean too much hybridization for me because every living thing wants to be able to reproduce. To have seed within (or egg) to do this. Each year it gets harder to find seedled grapes. The blacker the better...I find the black ones in the supermarket better.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 04:25:24 PM »

Funny you should mention that.  Remember that huge cluster in my hand on the first page?  That is one of my faves, Tannat, the signature red wine grape of Uruguay  which also has the highest level of resveratrol and other beneficial compounds of any varietal. 

Red wines were once thought to be good for you because of their resveratrol content. This idea is now controversial, but other compounds in red wine, particularly Tannat, are now believed to be very good for promoting health and longevity.
- See more at: http://www.vinodiversity.com/tannat.html#sthash.qd0Kk0rX.dpuf

Tannat:

I never buy resveratrol supplements but I think there is something to it. definitely red wines cut through meat and heavier cheeses. Help cut through the fats. My preference is always red wine over white. A good cabernet sauvignon. I like any dry red wine so if yours are on the dry side then I would like them.

Here is the grape cure--- I have eaten nothing but good quality dark grapes for three days and I'll tell you they will sweep your intestines clean

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 05:00:31 PM »

Does anyone grow muscadines in Hawaii? The seeded varieties of watermelon and grapes are superior. To not have seeds mean too much hybridization for me because every living thing wants to be able to reproduce. To have seed within (or egg) to do this. Each year it gets harder to find seedled grapes. The blacker the better...I find the black ones in the supermarket better.

I have some muscadines in a pot right now. Been waiting long time to get an arbor. I finally got one so now no excuse for not getting them in the ground. Most people plant Thompson seedless which does very poorly here, but that i what Wal Mart sells and what people know. Rose beetles are a big problem on grapes here, apart from the fact that there is no chill, and way too much rain.
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 05:50:07 PM »
Here is the grape cure-

"There is no scientific evidence that the Johanna Brandt's "Grape Cure" has any value."

-- I have eaten nothing but good quality dark grapes for three days and I'll tell you they will sweep your intestines clean

Ah.....good ol fashion toilet seats....the urge to merge.

Nothing a good swig of Kaopectate or Imodium won't cure.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:51:38 PM by Mark in Texas »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
Good simple Muscadine pruning and vine training advice
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 06:36:26 AM »
Muscadine pruning advice

Pruning Muscadines
The Muscadine has a boundless enthusiasm for growth, and you must restrain it or you will soon have jungle of vines. Therefore just as soon as you can, establish a main trunk for the vine. Tie this to the post and cut it off when it reaches the top. The trunk then may be allowed to develop about eight arms near the top. These should radiate outward like the spokes of a wagon wheel. To support them properly, wires should be stretched between the posts, thus forming a canopy. The main arms of the Muscadines do not produce fruiting shoots. One-year-old canes growing from these arms are pruned back to provide fruiting shoots. To prune properly, cut back the previous season's side growth, allowing about six buds to remain on the canes. Each year for best results, cut out one of the main arms. Then select a shoot near the top of the trunk to replace it. If this is done faithfully you will renew all of the arms every eight years. If you don't do this, the old arms in time will become so heavily spurred that their fruiting vigor will be reduced.

Pruning   (all grapes)
Grapevines require drastic annual pruning, undertaken in late winter or early spring. The many pruning systems can not be described here, but essentially they boil down to two: cane pruning and
spur pruning. The point to remember is that grapes are borne exclusively on "one-year wood," the woody canes which were the green shoots of the previous season. The wood of some varieties yields most heavily from the 3 or 4 buds closest to the trunk; so these are pruned by cutting back several canes to "spurs" of 3 or 4 buds and trimming off everything else. The spurs yield sufficient crop. The canes of other varieties bear best from the 4th to the 10th buds, counting out from the trunk; so these are pruned by cutting back several canes to leave 8 to 10 buds each according to the vigor of the vine and counting from the trunk, then trimming off everything else and tying these & "bearing canes"; to the trellis. In cane pruning, 2 short spurs are also left well placed near the head of the vine, not for crop but to provide well placed & "one year wood" for the following year.How many buds to leave on mature varieties. Amount left can vary with vigor of vine.<a this. like look may Concord A pruned. this Blanc Villard>

http://ediblelandscaping.com/careguide/Grape/
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:38:49 AM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
Delicious Muscadine Grape ----- Vitis rotundifolia Michx.
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 06:38:21 AM »
Delicious Muscadine Grape
Vitis rotundifolia Michx.

Delicious is a new muscadine grape cultivar released by the University of Florida that is black-fruited, early and even ripening, high-yielding, and disease-resistant. It has excellent taste and texture with an edible skin, making it well-suited for fresh fruit consumption. It also has potential for wine production.

Bob Paulish, past President of the Florida Grape Grower�s Association, suggested the name 'Delicious' based on the impressions of visitors to his vineyard who sampled the fruit. Zone 7 - 9.

http://ediblelandscaping.com/products/vines/Grapes/DeliciousMuscadineGrape.php

http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/grapes/cultivarbulletins/Delicious-HortSci-44-1-200-201-2009.pdf

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
Welder variety muscadine
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 06:50:52 AM »
WELDER Medium sized bronze variety that's great for juice or wine making. So prolific and with such an extended harvest time that you'll get 3 harvests of grapes! 18-19% sugar. Ripens August-September. Self-fertile. Zones 7-9. $11.99 2 gal (2-3ft).

I just got one of these Welder and two of the Delicious variety above. Both found at Lowes and grown up in Apokpa Florida by _______   They are small and will be planted next spring. I up-potted the Welder because it was getting too big a root system in the one gallon it came in. They all came in one gallon

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 10:17:29 PM »
I consumed the last muscadines off my trellis about a week ago. It was a small bunch of 5 muscadine grapes. It looks like the muscadine season is over in my Temperature Zone 10b, Miami, FL, USA.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
I consumed the last muscadines off my trellis about a week ago. It was a small bunch of 5 muscadine grapes. It looks like the muscadine season is over in my Temperature Zone 10b, Miami, FL, USA.

That is very late ...what variety were they?   They cannot be this late each year. My last ones (eating) were a month ago. Ison black variety

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk