Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283578 times)

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #725 on: May 24, 2020, 10:18:06 AM »
From my memory of eating M-4 last year it was a smaller size mango and did not change much color when it ripened. Candy Corn is larger and changed into yellow color after ripening. M-4 had a much complex taste whereas Cotton Candy is very very sweet with some mango-flavor, probably a slight classic mango flavor but i did not taste any sub-acid component. Here is a review video of Candy Corn mango along with comparison with Cac and Sugar Loaf that i ate yesterday : https://youtu.be/bIoTndCE3CU

Your video describes Candy Corn as supersweet, but without any deep flavors or complexity.  Soooo...how would that compare to Cotton Candy, which is also supersweet with "a slight classic mango flavor?"  I realize that you're not comparing the two side-by-side, but from memory.

Yes Cotton Candy from last year was intensely sweet as well, similar in taste to Candy Corn but was a smaller mango. Plus the Cotton Candies i had, had uneven ripening with bland tasting spots as places. I still have 2-3 more Candy Corns to taste but i agree, would be interesting to taste them side by side to get the subtle differences.
Satya

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 24, 2020, 03:28:29 PM »

Lakshmi Mango

Purchased this mango from Walter Zills stand, just one. The story behind it is a friend or patron said it was a good mango and so Walter grafted it to see if it would sell. The fruit is very rounded and resembles the shape of a large green Granny Smith apple. There was no smell to the outside of the mango while the flesh had a slight give to it. Cutting it open I noticed the flesh is a pale yellow, totally fiberless, and flesh is very firm and not juicy strikes me as there is hardly any juice on the plate after every cut was made. This is a very interesting and unique mango flavor wise as it tastes.....like a bartlet pear, definitely PEAR, like no other mango I could compare this to that I’ve ever had. As I ate nearest the skin there is a sweeter honey flavor with some faint resin twist. Definitely recommend giving this one a shot to see how you like it, the flavor is so different that I think it’s going to have a love/hate following.

Joe

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 24, 2020, 03:47:17 PM »

Recently did a mango sampling at work between a lemon zest off my tree, Cac, and Pim Saen Mun both grown by tropical acres. All three mangos were in absolute form and I was totally excited to compare the three side by side myself while also getting feedback from three associates who do not have a “are you experienced” in Jimi Hendrix terms knowledge like myself, are mangos drugs? ...anyways. The winner clearly was Cac which was super sweet cataloupe and honeydew melon with faint musk after finish wowed the crowd. The PSM banana popsicle/sugar cane flavor and Lemon Zest citrus oranges and creamy flesh with little sub acid zing...were tied for second.

I’m gonna venture out on a limb and say, that Cac will probably be the best I’ll have this year. And the season I had just started!

Joe

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 24, 2020, 08:32:32 PM »
Satya, Squam256 or anyone else sample a J12, Orange Essence or Pineapple Pleasure this year? Satya, I can’t get enough of your videos, keep up the great work!

Simon

tropical-farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 24, 2020, 09:29:50 PM »
Simon, thank you..mango passion continues..had to make this video for some friends new  to mango world-https://youtu.be/JULXpwASh3w

I have not tasted Orange Essence or PP or J-12 yet, my trees are still small to hold fruits, J-12 flowered but aborted. I will be going for mango hunting again this week. Now eating the last of the previous weeks’ collection. Just had Edgar from mangokothiyan’s garden and a Sweet Tart. To me Edgar had more of the indochinese flavor with a milder sweetness than the classic taste of Edward. Sweet Tart this time was at its peak flavor, i was topworking it to Venus for the lack of space for a vigorous tree but changed my mind. Certainly a must have variety. It did have the green patch on the skin like K-3 but the flavor under that part wasn’t affected.

Satya

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 25, 2020, 10:51:26 AM »
Simon the Pineapple Pleasures have been fantastic. Have a J-12 ripening now. Here’s my review of Pineapple Pleasure as well as many others
https://www.instagram.com/p/CALlXJuAwFa/

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #731 on: May 25, 2020, 03:59:19 PM »
I had one pineapple pleasure from Walters, it was great.

Mangos from zhpp
The other buttercream I had was decent along with candy corn. I could tell from the wrinkles and texture that they were picked to early. I guess they're still trying to get the timing right.
Didn't have much of a problem with the valcarrie and ugly Betty from them though.
LZ was sweet but lacked much complexity that I love about it. Don't think I'll be able get much more this year.

From my tree.
Cac has be consistently great, but they are from my tree so I have the luxury of checking on them often.
Ndm is falling left and right finally started to taste better but only have a few left on the tree.
Cogshalls have improved over last year's crop.
Angie's started out great but seemed to have suffer from the rains.
Pickering are great as always
Nelepete is nice, still trying to figure out the best time to eat them.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 25, 2020, 04:34:54 PM »
I had one pineapple pleasure from Walters, it was great.

Mangos from zhpp
The other buttercream I had was decent along with candy corn. I could tell from the wrinkles and texture that they were picked to early. I guess they're still trying to get the timing right.
Didn't have much of a problem with the valcarrie and ugly Betty from them though.
LZ was sweet but lacked much complexity that I love about it. Don't think I'll be able get much more this year.

From my tree.
Cac has be consistently great, but they are from my tree so I have the luxury of checking on them often.
Ndm is falling left and right finally started to taste better but only have a few left on the tree.
Cogshalls have improved over last year's crop.
Angie's started out great but seemed to have suffer from the rains.
Pickering are great as always
Nelepete is nice, still trying to figure out the best time to eat them.
So do the people who keep taking them.
Any headway on preventing the theft this year?

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 25, 2020, 05:35:32 PM »
Candy Corn have been terrible. Flesh is very light and tastes like a bad cantaloupe. Has anyone else tried them? I tried one last season and it was very good.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #734 on: May 25, 2020, 07:24:40 PM »
@oolie.
Good memory bud.
It helps that I'm home these days I guess.
Last year I think I began trimming and shaping the tree too early. that revealed the fruit a lot more.
I'm waiting until the last one is off. Then I'll trim.

I'm thinking about putting a landscaping barrier with some thorny plants in front to dissuade them. But its hard to justify spending that much money to protect the fruit. Concrete retaining wall blocks are expensive.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: May 25, 2020, 09:56:39 PM »
If you are interested, I can get you Dovyalis caffra aka Kei Apple, thorns that will dissuade a rhino.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 26, 2020, 09:18:37 AM »
Candy Corn have been terrible. Flesh is very light and tastes like a bad cantaloupe. Has anyone else tried them? I tried one last season and it was very good.

Earlier this morning, I had the last of the Candy Corn mangoes Satya was kind enough to give me. That one tasted really good, unlike the others that were really bland. Makes me think the others were picked way early.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 12:38:22 PM by mangokothiyan »

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 27, 2020, 11:13:01 AM »

Earlier this morning, I had the last of the Candy Corn mangoes Satya was kind enough to give me. That one tasted really good, unlike the others that were really bland. Makes me think the others were picked way early.
Cool! Good to know there’s hope. I assumed they had named something else Candy Corn as these were incomparable to the one that I sampled last season. That was last August so it’s quite early yet

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 30, 2020, 02:09:34 PM »

Sunrise

The bought some sunrise mangos from ZHPP plants and they were exquisite. Sunrise reminds me of malika in many ways. Notice how it ripens with green splotches, very similar. The flesh is totally fiberless and melting and an orange color like malika. The flavor is sweet with notes of honey and carrot like malika though with a resin that permeates throughout the flesh in every bite unlike malika!. Outstanding mango.

-Joe

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 30, 2020, 02:39:17 PM »

Cotton Candy

Here is one of 5 cotton candy mangos I scored this year and the second one I’ve sampled of the lot. The two previous seasons I have completely ended empty handed without trying this mango as it is a hot item that goes very quickly. I gotta say though based on just the two that I’ve had, I’m a little disappointed. Recently “cotton candy” grapes were released as an incredible achievement to selective breeding efforts and they actually taste like cotton candy, they are delicious and I feel that combined with the scarcity of acquiring this cultivar set the bar very high for my expectations. The mango pictured seems to be on riper side internally as it was very juicy with a classic juicy mango flesh texture not melting or chalky, which I was expecting based on “cotton candy” name. The flesh is yellow and reminds me of an improved Keitt though much smaller and sweater than Keitt. I didn’t sense any resin in the skin peel or throughout the flesh.

Question to fellow members, how has this season been so far for cotton candy? Will sample the other 3 mangos when ready, but as it stands I’d rather have cotton candy grapes than a cotton candy mango. 🤷‍♂️

-joe

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 30, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »
I don’t know how people can seriously review mangoes now that were picked prematurely. For example all the comments on Cotton Candy. C.C normally is a late season fruit and it’s still May. Any comments at this time about Cotton Candy etc etc etc are meaningless crap. Anyone who gets up publicly and expounds on a mango 6-10 weeks before it’s time may have a screw loose or would rather show everyone how smart they are than have an interest in pure unadulterated truth. There is some member from North Miami who is putting videos of him tasting mangoes that have no basis in reality but he adds a disclaimer to everything he says. So basically he isn’t interested in truth only in something else. I find that extremely destructive and immoral. This site is for sharing accurate info in order to help each and every member new and old get accurate information for multiple reasons. I based my choices of which mango varieties to plant which was a huge investment for me in money and time and very very hard work on the great members here. If these unknowledgeable people were on this board back then I would have been totally screwed. And going forward lots of new people are going to get hurt by these same self centered and maybe dumb individuals. I have 26 Cotton Candy trees and this is the first year I have any fruit from them. I have never tasted one but my decision to buy and plant them was based on comments from a consensus of reviews by the obvious leaders on this board. It’s almost June 1 and not a single one of the fruit has fallen off of maybe only 25-30 on all the 26 trees. Right now it’s way way way too early for an honest review of a Cotton Candy mango. Does anyone who cares really want to hear meaningless comments about a mango so prematurely picked or that dropped off a tree. This is serious business here and anyone who takes this so lightly........
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 05:05:33 PM by weiss613 »

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 30, 2020, 06:25:12 PM »
I have about a dozen Cotton Candy fruit that look ready to pick but are still firmly attached.I might have picked some by now if I hadn't know it was a late variety.
 I have told my kids not to pick them yet. I think a good rule of thumb if you don't have experience with a variety is to wait until fruit start dropping and then ripen them off the tree a few days. Then IF it is really good, pick another one every few days and do the same until you know they will be at at eating peak. I also try to leave a few on the trees as long as possible and wait for them to fall to gauge how late they will go. Drought stress can sometimes advance ripening of fruit but usually not by more than a week or so. Little Gem is a MUCH better mango it you don't even start picking until August in Florida. Nancy gets such good size and color months before it is ready that some early reviews were negative. I don't start picking that one until the END of July. It is a shame if interest in potentially good varieties is killed by a few bad reviews of fruit that is picked too early. A lot of mangos are EDIBLE a month early if ripened off the tree but not anywhere near their peak. If you only have one tree that is loaded with fruit it makes sense to pick a few to see how early they can be used knowing full well that they won't be as good as fully ripe fruit.

tropical-farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 30, 2020, 07:09:42 PM »
I don’t know how people can seriously review mangoes now that were picked prematurely. For example all the comments on Cotton Candy. C.C normally is a late season fruit and it’s still May. Any comments at this time about Cotton Candy etc etc etc are meaningless crap. Anyone who gets up publicly and expounds on a mango 6-10 weeks before it’s time may have a screw loose or would rather show everyone how smart they are than have an interest in pure unadulterated truth. There is some member from North Miami who is putting videos of him tasting mangoes that have no basis in reality but he adds a disclaimer to everything he says. So basically he isn’t interested in truth only in something else. I find that extremely destructive and immoral. This site is for sharing accurate info in order to help each and every member new and old get accurate information for multiple reasons. I based my choices of which mango varieties to plant which was a huge investment for me in money and time and very very hard work on the great members here. If these unknowledgeable people were on this board back then I would have been totally screwed. And going forward lots of new people are going to get hurt by these same self centered and maybe dumb individuals. I have 26 Cotton Candy trees and this is the first year I have any fruit from them. I have never tasted one but my decision to buy and plant them was based on comments from a consensus of reviews by the obvious leaders on this board. It’s almost June 1 and not a single one of the fruit has fallen off of maybe only 25-30 on all the 26 trees. Right now it’s way way way too early for an honest review of a Cotton Candy mango. Does anyone who cares really want to hear meaningless comments about a mango so prematurely picked or that dropped off a tree. This is serious business here and anyone who takes this so lightly........

Hi Richard,
i understand you are mostly targeting me in your multiple comments, so I will elaborate (again). I get your perspective. Believe me, i grew up eating mangoes. I remember when i was 7-8 yrs old our father used to pluck mangoes off our trees (our family has agricultural lands in South Nepal) and keep them in huge rice barrels to ripen, and when they did, he used to slice them, my brother would get one half, and I the other, and then the two sides of the flesh by the seed, each bite was heavenly and we would count each day until the next one ripened.. the passion for mangoes has stayed so until today. My purpose here is not to expose my dumbness and self-centeredness by posting tastings of mango videos. And i have no serious business here or in the youtube videos - you are right, I’m not a commercial grower and am not making money off of my love for mangoes. Youtube is a free platform, at least until now, until some very moral and politically correct people decide to make it PC, proper, pure, ‘unadulterated’ and accurate (the exact words used by Adolph Hitler, by the way).  I don't think i am immature in eating mangoes - i have eaten them all my life. Actually, the reason I moved to FL after graduating was to grow and eat the best mangoes possible…. In fact, with my 200/hr salary i could go anywhere and settle anywhere in the US or the world but decided to settle here because both my wife and I love the heat and the mangoes.

Before we started to plant our garden, for 2 years we went to many many mango farms south, north and west of Miami, Broward and as far up as mangoes grow, talked to established growers. The first year we spent a fortune tasting all the mangoes. We considered that they would taste differently in different places and chose the varieties that tasted the best for US personally, not in general opinion or based on ANYONE’s reviews, even the “leaders of the board”. Everyone’s taste buds are different, everyone’s agendas in rating mangoes are also different, and I would never be so dumb as to plant 40 mango trees in MY garden based on reviews of forum members or based on youtube videos without tasting the varieties myself because i know mango taste changes from place to place, year to year, surprisingly tree to tree and importantly - person to person. As I’m not here to satisfy the general commercial taste, I do not make choices based on general consensus. I share my love for mangoes, not my professionalism or status in the mango world, whatever that could be.

You have commented upon my disclaimer and said this is smart, immoral and inaccurate. This disclaimer was needed so people don’t watch and rush to nursery to buy the tree or top work an existing tree . I don’t think people are that dumb; they watch reviews to reinforce their already formed opinion about a certain mango or to learn something new about that specific mango. Reviews in this forum are not sealed in time, they keep coming as people taste more mangoes. We will also be making videos as we progress through he season , videos on same varieties will come again and review on same variety will come again too. For example, if a mango is picked early and tastes bad, reviewer always says it was picked early, so there is a learning point there. Also, if a mango was picked after a week of rain and tasted bad, the reviewer says so and there is a learning point. I do that in my videos so the review is NOT ABOUT A MANGO BUT THE mango in my hand AT THAT MOMENT, picked in that month, that season, from a certain grove, certain microclimate. The disclaimer should have been enough, but doesn’t seem that it’s enough for you, so i needed to elaborate. Plus, it is like with anything else: cars or dogs or even your partner. People may like or hate the same variety, not everyone should love it. If everyone loved only one variety, or one person, you wouldn’t have that many varieties around. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT AND LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS! Imagine if everyone loved the same woman, it would be a nightmare for the entire world!
Plus, even from your 28 cotton candy trees you will not get same taste every year, so please take these reviews and videos as reviews of mango of certain place, year and time in the history rather than review of THE mango of certain variety.

Many many people have come forward and told me how they liked the mango video reviews and how a certain taste thing i told in the video is what they felt while tasting it as well. I meet these kind hearted people while i go to Steve's at Hidden Acres to pick more mangoes, to Zills and meeting my friend mango lovers to share our experiences. Please do not take life seriously, the more lightness in the heart the more fun it is in growing and eating mangoes.
Satya

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 30, 2020, 07:19:23 PM »

Hey Weiss,

I purchase most of the mangos I review from Zill High Performance plants and from time to time when Gary Zill is in the room we will have a discussion about mangos and the season and climate conditions that influence such seasons. I’m deeply in love with the subject. My last convo with Gary a about 2 weeks ago was along the lines of this is the best season he’s ever seen in the decades he’s been involved with mangos and that the season is so incredible specifically because many late season varieties have come early and that there are multiple blooms such that the season will be extended, this was told to me when I was buying the cotton candy and how I’ve missed them two previous seasons in July. He hypothesized that due to global warming there is more co2 in the air which plants love, I said maybe because we had pulsating cold blasts and drier than normal rain fall 🤷‍♂️ So I wish you call and speak to him yourself. But wish you the best with your 20 plus cotton candy trees.... 👍

-Joe
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:11:22 PM by JoeP450 »

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 30, 2020, 08:50:56 PM »
I have sampled dozens of Cotton Candy mangos over the years. Besides their above average sweetness and cotton candy like aftertaste they are nothing more than a renamed Keitt. Don’t let the name fool you.

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 30, 2020, 08:53:57 PM »
Satya, I thoroughly enjoy your video reviews, and appreciate them for what they are, an opinion. Furthermore, after watching a few of your reviews, I watched other videos on your garden, which inspired me to branch out my plantings to other edibles. I was literally telling another forum member this morning how your videos inspired me, as I picked up my new Barbados cherry. So, I say thank you for sharing and please keep the videos coming.  :)

Joe, I also enjoy your reviews, have read them all and look forward to your future posts. Given the length of this thread, I’m not the only one.  ;)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 30, 2020, 09:15:21 PM »
Imam Pasand is fantastic...best mango in my yard 5th season in a row and once again my favorite out of anything I've tried elsewhere..
always longing for a JA Julie

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 30, 2020, 10:38:44 PM »
Guys I know taste is subjective and I’ve been criticized before of the reviews and I have said at a base take from these the pictures...and the sizes, and the colors, the weights, and length measurements. This is to put information out whereas you wanna know what xyz mango looks like good luck finding that on the internet besides this thread! I’m happy to have started this thread which is a top read thread based on views but have really enjoyed reading others reviews and participation most recently satya.

Recently I was asked over DM what my top 10 mangos were this was my response:

Hey ”XYZ”

Taste is very subjective BUT I think the more you read about tasting reports you tend to see the same names rank high frequently so I believe that there is some truth in that there are better mangos than others. Personally I rank mangos based on taste as I grow for personal consumption and not based on production, I’d rather have two Devine tasting mangos than 40 ok mangos. I haven’t had every mango but I think I’ve eaten maybe 150+ mango types based on the festivals, tastings, and mango hunting that I’ve done.

Personally in no particular order I like: sweet tart, lemon zest, coconut cream, fruit punch, cac, harvest moon, ice cream, super Julie, super Alphonso and sugar loaf.

Probably my favorite is ice cream, I look forward to it every year and have a tree.

Tried a few O-15 this year that were good and waiting to try 5 cotton candy mangos that are ripening on my table at the moment, I have missed cotton candy two years in a row but finally got some this year.

-Joe

More on ice cream....

Been doing mango tastings at work with associates, these are mango noobs, people who don’t know this site even exist for example and don’t have a tree and basically know the two mangos in Publix... it’s fun because it really removes biases like what’s the hot new sexy mango on the block. Recently pit cac, LZ and PSM against each other and ID the mangos by number not by their sexy name like Lemon Zest! ....CAC won and it beat the pants off the LZ that I grew...but then I brought in ice cream, Kathy aka K3 aka kryptonite and a sweet tart. All three were in perfect form and the winner...... ice cream! ...close second was Kathy. I went on to talk to the associates about ice cream and how to look for it when you go to truly tropical as it’s always passed over because it’s smaller, uncolorfull green, and sometimes looks downright diseased because of its anthracnose issue... the associates were laughing saying so true if I saw this mango I wouldn’t buy it BASED ON LOOKS.

A lowly ice cream off my tree below, the little mango that could not sexy at all sorry not sorry 😂

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 31, 2020, 12:02:55 AM »
I think we've all come to realize by now that mango tasting is a VERY subjective experience.  The only other fruit with such a wide variety of flavors is probably the apple.  Everyone's favorites are going to be different, but I still enjoy watching and reading reviews--the more, the better.  They're entertaining for a mango lover, and maybe I'll learn about a new variety or get a fresh perspective, but bottom line is always that I should taste for myself.  Years ago I planted Angie based on Richard Campbell's Curator's Choice glorious description, and I also planted Mahachanok because it was probably the most popular mango when this forum started up in 2012.  They're both good mangoes but not my favorites, and if I had tasted them in advance I probably would not have planted either one.
John

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 31, 2020, 03:09:25 AM »
Mahachanok off from my tree in the greenhouse.

middle one was picked mature green a week ago.  The two smaller on the left and right were pick this evening, turned yellow on the tree.
The middle one has floral smells. The other two, has no smell.  I will let me sister do the taste test and see what she thinks.