Author Topic: Passiflora transplant question - bury stem?  (Read 1567 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Passiflora transplant question - bury stem?
« on: April 19, 2016, 10:51:38 AM »
Had a crazy idea and wanted to see the reaction.

Given the fact that passifloras root readily from cuttings, and because I am just transplanting some tomato seedlings in my garden: does it make sense to dig a trench and bury the root ball plus several inches of stem on a passion vine, like with tomatoes?
The theory would be that it might form more roots at the leaf nodes (perhaps slicing the nodes like when rooting cuttings) and send up more shoots from the "topside" of the node....

Has anyone tried this?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Passiflora transplant question - bury stem?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »
It's probably a good idea to bury part of the stem for more rooting. Interesting to see if more shoots appear but the main shoot will be adequate and better supported by additional roots.
Peter

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:08:51 PM »
I think it may work, because I had one that did this by accident - it fell from its place weaving up a fence, and it took a long time for me to notice it. By the time I did, it was rooting sideways into the soil, and new leaves formed at the top. It died unfortunately from other causes, but If you had a reason to be concerned and wanted to give it this option, I would think you could do so intentionally, as long as you don't prevent its leaves from getting plenty of air and light in general.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 08:40:42 AM »
Thanks for the input.
I am testing a variation of this theory in 2 pots as of last night. there were a few nodes very low on the stem where leaves had been dropped - I trimmed these with a sharp knife and then buried the stem (vertical planting position) up to the highest of these nodes.

I have 2 more vines I want to transplant into the ground and I may try a more aggressive version of this and plant it horizontally.

By way of additional background, I had someone advise me that burying the stem in any way was not a good idea. So I guess I don't like "no" for an answer...

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:58:49 AM »
I had someone advise me that burying the stem in any way was not a good idea. So I guess I don't like "no" for an answer...

Lol, yeah, I'm the same. As they say, though, where there is a will, there is a way. Science is just a series of experiments - so if you want to try something, there's nothing wrong with trying it. And if you really want to make something happen, often there is a way to do so if you just experiment enough. People here have proven a lot of naysayers wrong, fruiting tropicals in very cold locations, fruiting indoors, fruiting in pots, fruiting temperates in tropical climates, grafting crazy things onto one another and getting results, creating new varieties of fruit with specialized characteristics... If you can get a banana to taste like an apple, or a mango to taste like a coconut, why can't you experiment with new ways to transplant a passionfruit? Our possibilities are only limited by our willingness to experiment with new things.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk