Author Topic: Mango tree - how to induce branching out lower down the trunk  (Read 3566 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Chris at Truly Tropical tries to do this.
How can this be done successfully?  Get the mango tree to put out new leaves and branches where you want it to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDG0LKmDC3I#
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:45:29 PM by zands »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Mango tree - how to induce branching out lower down the trunk
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 09:32:17 AM »
I've had great success girdling younger branches

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 11:26:36 AM »
It's pretty hard to break apical dominance. And even if you can get it to sprout down low, the upper canopy will very quickly shade it out, causing lower sprouts to stall and die.

Some cultivars seem to be better at this than others. For example, in my experience, keitt sometimes likes to sprout from within the inner canopy.

Your best bet is to prune. But even if you prune, the tree will have a mind of its own and can close up the canopy around your prune, causing your new sprouts to die. So, it's important to continue managing it (by pruning the surrounding canopy).
Jeff  :-)

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 02:42:50 PM »
If you can figure out how to induce mango tree lower branching out, then you will be King. This would apply to other fruit trees too. I have a particular mango tree I would love to see more lower branches on.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 03:14:27 PM »
To break apical dominance spray only the top with anti gibberellins, and on lower parts of the tree dress it with a paste at high concentration of BAP and TZ. The tree should grow new buds in a couple of weeks. Of course using the hormones is like cheating the nature, but at least you get results.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 05:52:08 PM »
To break apical dominance spray only the top with anti gibberellins, and on lower parts of the tree dress it with a paste at high concentration of BAP and TZ. The tree should grow new buds in a couple of weeks. Of course using the hormones is like cheating the nature, but at least you get results.

Do you think that if I remove 10mm round piece of tree bark and apply this Keiki-Paste this will work to make new branches? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orchid-Keiki-Paste-Cytokinin-Kinetin-Auxin-Vit-B-1-C-E-1g-30g/172632284277?hash=item2831af9c75:m:mvqc43j2RDOG_VeBs_PTs6A

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 07:04:12 PM »
mine occurs naturally for a couple of the trees.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 02:29:24 PM »

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »

Do you think that if I remove 10mm round piece of tree bark and apply this Keiki-Paste this will work to make new branches?

Yes you can try to use it. It contains IBA an auxin which is not good for branching, but it should work. Sand the bark lightly. A bit overpriced I could say. Wear gloves, the exact long term effects on humans are not well known. Also keep in mind the way they sell them is improper, hormones at temp +4C and light exposure disintegrate pretty fast.

luckycloud

• zone 7B (NC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 09:10:08 PM »

Do you think that if I remove 10mm round piece of tree bark and apply this Keiki-Paste this will work to make new branches? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orchid-Keiki-Paste-Cytokinin-Kinetin-Auxin-Vit-B-1-C-E-1g-30g/172632284277?hash=item2831af9c75:m:mvqc43j2RDOG_VeBs_PTs6A

I've used cytokinin paste (ELIT brand on Amazon) to induce bud formation on a citrus rootstock whose scion had died back. I decided to try it since I already had bought it with the purpose of generating keikis on my orchids. I just scratched the surface and applied it thinly. It worked, so maybe it would work on mango as well.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 09:33:16 PM »

I've used cytokinin paste (ELIT brand on Amazon) to induce bud formation on a citrus rootstock whose scion had died back. I decided to try it since I already had bought it with the purpose of generating keikis on my orchids. I just scratched the surface and applied it thinly. It worked, so maybe it would work on mango as well.
Thanks for the information.   Cytokinin paste is same as Keiki-Paste?      Here is what you bought at Amazon  >>>>>>>   https://www.amazon.com/Cytokinin-Stimulating-Burgeon-Awakening-Vitamins/dp/B01HUH34MQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524360473&sr=8-1&keywords=cytokinin+paste                                               

luckycloud

• zone 7B (NC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 09:02:52 PM »
Yep, that's what I have. Other than using it on orchids (which seems to be working - it's ongoing), I only did that one experiment with the citrus rootstock. So your mileage may vary.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 09:19:05 PM »
I had a Santol tree nearing 45 feet height, and most fruits stayed at the top.  The lowest branches were at 12 and 15 feet.  I topped the tree leaving only those branches.  I prune the crown twice a year to remove shoots, and only now is even starting to show some decent form.  It still hasn't thrown out any lower branches, but the lowest branches I left are naturally dropping down because of their weight, now I can pick some just by walking by.  The tree structure is still 'lopsided' with now growth on one side of the tree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk