Author Topic: Dr. Brown, M.D. The Father of Cold Hardy Citrus.  (Read 6319 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Dr. Brown, M.D. The Father of Cold Hardy Citrus.
« on: May 19, 2014, 03:50:27 PM »
I have found the long lost part-2 article titled "The Cold Hardy Citrus of Texas".  If you would like a copy contact me using the private message on this site.  Give me your E-mail address and I will send you a copy..  Many of Dr. Brown's  cold hardy citrus varieties are discussed, such as his Poncirus Hybrids, Chinotto Hybrids, Yuzu Hybrids and his many Changsha Hybrids. Also is how he conducted many of his experiments.  Dr. John R. Brown, M.D. was a retired family practitioner in Franklin, Texas.  He has been an enthusiast of cold hardy citrus since youth, and has hybridized many citrus fruits for over four decades at his home in Houston and at farms in east Texas.  Dr. Brown's name has became world famous as a cold hardy citrus researcher.   We hope to make this site a home for those interest in furthering Cold Hardy Citrus - Millet
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:06:41 PM by Millet »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Brown, M.D. The Father of Cold Hardy Citrus.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 04:47:18 PM »
Millet, That must be the same as the Brown in Browns Select Satsuma. Thanks. Tom

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »
Tom, one would certainly think so with that name, but Brown's Select Satsuma was developed by the Louisiana State University Agricultural Center, - Millet
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:08:01 PM by Millet »

Scott_6B

• North Shore, Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »
Interesting history, thanks for starting a Cold Hardy thread.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 08:42:36 PM »
To all members that requested a copy of Dr. Brown's Hardy Citrus article, I will try to E-mail all of them tomorrow, Saturday 5-24-14.  I wanted to wait a week so that I could send all of them at the same time. - Millet

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 09:43:45 AM »
The Brown Select is a satsuma that was from the LSU  center center at Port Sulphur Lousiana. It was a selection of Dr. Ralph Brown. It is no longer in operation. The Louisiana Early and Early St Anne were also his selections. Star farm, Belle Chase Louisiana had obtained budwood of these cultivars and had them budded and banked with soil during one of the severe freezes. The citrus center lost their trees. We have Star Farm  to thank for these still being around today. The Brown Select was named after Dr. Ralph Brown. He was the superintendent of the Louisiana citrus center for over 30 years.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:46:54 PM by buddinman »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 03:07:19 PM »
Great history lesson. I've seen several citrus groves near Port Sulfur in operation now. Thanks for the information. Tom

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 02:10:14 PM »
I E-mailed Dr. Brown's cold hardy citrus article to everyone that requested a copy.  If you did not receive a copy, or if I missed anyone  let me know. - Millet

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 05:45:19 PM »
Recieved the copy, thanks.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 11:53:23 PM »
I have been wondering if any of Dr. Brown's hybrids are still around. He developed so many different cold-hardy citrus crosses, but how many of those are still available in the nursery trade? Seems like such a loss.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 07:16:59 PM »
I have been wondering if any of Dr. Brown's hybrids are still around. He developed so many different cold-hardy citrus crosses, but how many of those are still available in the nursery trade? Seems like such a loss.

None were available in the trade. I visited him in his 90s and used to have his seedless kumquat
from budwood he gave me.

Lauta_hibrid

• Argentina, Buenos Aires, La Plata 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 10:51:49 AM »

None were available in the trade. I visited him in his 90s and used to have his seedless kumquat
from budwood he gave me.

Good morning, I just found this post, thanks for the information, it made me very curious, you know @mrtexas where his field is with all those varieties, right?  If you can still visit it, it would be great to have photos of what you created.  I'm very curious although I don't know if any of them have become really interesting to use their genetics.