Author Topic: my fruit activities during this non-fruit trip to FL  (Read 12341 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: my fruit activities during this non-fruit trip to FL
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
yup, Oscar must be right.

and so is your label.

it's one of the very many variations of Eugenia pyriformis (syn. E. uvahla)

I was wrong in assuming it's a Victoriana...I have this plant now in my collection.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 07:31:36 PM »
Wow, black sapote is that bad to you?  I thought about obtaining a grafted tree from Toptropicals or growing seedlings.  However, I'm reassessing if it's something I want to have because of the comments I've been reading here.

Rodney, don't think you should take lycheeluva's comments to heart until you taste the fruit yourself. Believe it or not there are people that hate lychees! Gasp!!! Does that mean lycheeluva shouldn't plant lychees?
That said black sapote rarely makes anyone's top 10 list (while lychees consistently do) and black sapote is a large tree. So if you have a very small yard it's probably not a good choice. But the real litmus test always is to taste the fruit yourself BEFORE planting.
Oscar
Oscar

I have three black sapote trees on my small block, but no lychees in ground  :o
I'd rather have plenty of fruit year round than 200 varieties of mangoes or lychees in a few short months, so a heavy winter cropping fruit of excellent quality is more than welcome in my yard. I also have a few early to mid season mangoes, but couldnt stand to have more than 3 as they are a dime each by mid season and mango fatigue sets in. I like diversity in my diet I guess is my main point.
I have tasted lots of Black Sapotes though and have about ten cultivars to choose from, many of which are not ultra large and can be kept to 2m - so I know which ones to choose for season, fruit texture, size, quality and performance.
It makes my top 10.  ;)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »

and so is your label.

I was wrong in assuming it's a Victoriana...I have this plant now in my collection.

Adam the leaves are totally different from the pyriformis I have .....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »

and so is your label.

Adam the leaves are totally different from the pyriformis I have .....unless there are different types of leave in pyriformis this gotta be something different , but a Myrtaceae for sure

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk