Author Topic: Young Durian tree top damage  (Read 904 times)

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Young Durian tree top damage
« on: April 02, 2021, 10:57:04 PM »
Young vigorous Durian seedling got damaged on it's main leader top tip, looks like damage from a "sucking" or "drilling" insect.
Have anyone else had this?
The seedling is otherwise growing fast and vigorously.
I cut bellow the damge since i wanted to see how the cambium and other wood was affected. Does not look well, could have given the tree a life long issue so i thought I could share it with others.

the damage

The tree grew back strong, tied up the new shot as a the new erect leader but the tree is out of it's previous growing habit but eventually the other two branches will hopefully weigh down and become more horizontal.

Have only had this kind of trunk damage once before.
Have anyone else had succes with trying to tie up (train) a new shot as a erect leader on Durian?
Doing this to not have multiple leaders later.

Jayyy for the glorious Durian!
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Young Durian tree top damage
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 06:59:45 AM »
We have had stem borers on durian and we had to cut the stem back but it didn’t turn out to be any big deal.  Also the tender new growth of the leader can get attacked.  It’s never been a major setback.
Peter

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 07:52:27 PM »
We have had stem borers on durian and we had to cut the stem back but it didn’t turn out to be any big deal.  Also the tender new growth of the leader can get attacked.  It’s never been a major setback.
Peter

Great, thanks for sharing some of your experiance Peter.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 04:41:21 PM »
Stem boring moths can also attack maprang, lychees and longans. Neonicotenoids are just about the only treatment.

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 08:53:12 PM »
Stem boring moths can also attack maprang, lychees and longans. Neonicotenoids are just about the only treatment.

Great, stem boring moths, natures inventive ;/

Got multiple very old (more then 40 years) longans and lychees with no visible borer damage, none have given fruit the last 10 years so maybe they are strong from not putting energy into fruiting, they are very healthy but obviously not enough chill hours for these ones.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 11:29:47 PM »
Initially I didn’t plant longan because i thought it needed cold. Then I discovered diamond river. This works super well for me, flowering and setting at least twice a year in an area that never goes below 20C. Top work your longans!
Suerte!

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 02:20:17 AM »
Initially I didn’t plant longan because i thought it needed cold. Then I discovered diamond river. This works super well for me, flowering and setting at least twice a year in an area that never goes below 20C. Top work your longans!
Suerte!

Thanks for that info! So could top work them heavy and graft on diamond river then, when I find it. Never done such a thing on such a big tree, it's girth is almost half a metre.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 04:24:04 AM »
Biew Kiew would be nice and the coast in the wet tropics is not for them. The chill requirement of the 20 main lychee varieties is well known and poleward of 17 latitude for even the heat lovers like Kwai mai pink is recommended.

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 10:15:36 PM »
Biew Kiew would be nice and the coast in the wet tropics is not for them. The chill requirement of the 20 main lychee varieties is well known and poleward of 17 latitude for even the heat lovers like Kwai mai pink is recommended.

So for the big lychee tree's, maybe mata kuching etc could be grafted onto it? Or other suggestions?
Because seriously I'v tasted one fruit (no joke, only one) from all the lychee tree's. Happy the bats didn't eat that one, maybe they felt some for me haha
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 11:16:45 PM »
Suerte!

Thanks for that info! So could top work them heavy and graft on diamond river then, when I find it. Never done such a thing on such a big tree, it's girth is almost half a metre.
You’d be grafting onto any sprouts that appear after cutting the trunk off!  Heavy duty, but they grow fast and fruit soon.
Peter

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 09:52:01 PM »
Suerte!

You’d be grafting onto any sprouts that appear after cutting the trunk off!  Heavy duty, but they grow fast and fruit soon.
Peter

Ok Great, will try that. Diamond river's in AU so will probly be easy to find :D
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk