Author Topic: The visit to Harry's before the Mango Festival.....  (Read 11983 times)

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
The visit to Harry's before the Mango Festival.....
« on: July 19, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »
Here is a nice picture of the group (not including me because I am the photographer  :D )
It was a great afternoon of Mango tasting, Jackfruit sampling and an awesomely delicious introduction to the Abiu.
I want to say a big thanks to Harry for his generosity in sharing his time and his property full of fruit trees with us.
I am happy to brag that today I grafted 7 pieces of Budwood Of the SUPER CARRIE aka Harry-Carrie (6 onto my Carrie tree and 1 onto my Keitt-just to see if a different rootstock makes a different)
I also did 2 epicotyl grafts from the budwood of  Harry's-- Black Gold x Tabouey JAckfruit.
I am really looking forward to reporting on the outcome of these grafting efforts.
Harry Thanks  again for sharing to make this possible and all your generosity!!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:15:58 PM by MarinFla »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: The visit to Harry's before the Mango Festival.....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 12:40:59 AM »
Tons of mangos, tons of festivals, great nurseries, meetings, talks, and great people. You are all so lucky!!! Thanks for posting photos Marinfla.
Wanna make sure i got the right names to the faces? Can you describe who is who? Good luck with all the grafts!
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 01:19:25 AM »
Marin,

Thanks for posting the pics!

It's nice to be able to see a face behind a username every now and again.

It looks like most of the bunch was in jovial spirits, and that this was a fine fruit filled occasion.
 may all of your grafts be takes.

:)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 02:10:55 AM »
Lucky guys the tasting looked awesom......I see a perfect place to hang my hammock.

thanks for posting and good luck w/the grafts,
-Ethan

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 08:37:05 AM »
Wow murahilin looks so happy.   ???

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »
Murahilin take the Florida Bar Exam in just a few days.  :)

natsgarden123

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 09:07:24 AM »

Good Luck!!!!

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 09:09:20 AM »
Actually, I just noticed that all the people to the left of Harry (and including Harry) are lawyers (or in the case of Murahilin, soon-to-be). That's Lycheeluvah to the far left, beside Murahilin, then I'm the only woman in the pic because Marin has the camera.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »
Completeing the usual suspects line-up:

Here is a nice picture of the group (not including me because I am the photographer  :D )
It was a great afternoon of Mango tasting, Jackfruit sampling and an awesomely delicious introduction to the Abiu.
I want to say a big thanks to Harry for his generosity in sharing his time and his property full of fruit trees with us.
I am happy to brag that today I grafted 7 pieces of Budwood Of the SUPER CARRIE aka Harry-Carrie (6 onto my Carrie tree and 1 onto my Keitt-just to see if a different rootstock makes a different)
I also did 2 epicotyl grafts from the budwood of  Harry's-- Black Gold x Tabouey JAckfruit.
I am really looking forward to reporting on the outcome of these grafting efforts.

From lef to right:

Gerry (Lycheeluva) seated and leaning, with the Foster Grants, trying to look important.  The scowling guy behind is murahilin (murahilin).  I think his shoes were a bit tight that day or perhaps he had stomach cramps. Then Katie (Hollywood), nice to have met you even though you are a lawyer ( I hate lawyers).  Then me sitting on my butt as usual. Then Abayomi (Future) from Bermuda.  Always a pleasure to have his shining face sitting across the fruit tasting table from you. Far right standing is Grover (I don't think he has registered in this forum, but is active in the garden Web temperate fruit forums), a friend of Gerry's and his traveling companion.  I don't think it goes further than that but who knows.  No, actually a very nice guy that has acreage up in Long Islang, NY and grows lots of temperate fruits. Then seated to the far right is Clint (SleepDoc).  He's a jakfruit lover extrodinaire.  He is the only one brave/foolish enough to climb to the top of my 30 foot jakfruit tree to pick fruits.  What would we do without him.  And that, my friends, is all.  Marin was kind enough to shoot us in our fruit eating glory.

Harry
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:16:07 AM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »

From lef to right:

Gerry (Lycheeluva) seated and leaning, with the Foster Grants, trying to look important.  The scowling guy behind is murahilin (murahilin).  I think his shoes were a bit tight that day or perhaps he had stomach cramps. Then Katie (Hollywood), nice to have met you even though you are a lawyer ( I hate lawyers).  Then me sitting on my butt as usual. Then Abayomi (Future) from Bermuda.  Always a pleasure to have his shining face sitting across the fruit tasting table from you. Far right standing is Grover (I don't think he has registered in this forum, but is active in the garden Web temperate fruit forums), a friend of Gerry's and his traveling companion.  I don't think it goes further than that but who knows.  No, actually a very nice guy that has acreage up in Long Islang, NY and grows lots of temperate fruits. Then seated to the far right is Clint (SleepDoc).  He's a jakfruit lover extrodinaire.  He is the only one brave/foolish enough to climb to the top of my 30 foot jakfruit tree to pick fruits.  What would be do without him.  And that, my friends, is all.  Marin was kind enough to shoot us in our fruit eating glory.

Harry

harry- u r a funny guy.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 11:12:47 AM »
Great picture of the 'crew' and it is quite a dashing bunch with no one looking crusty at all.It is good to hear that there is at least one social climber in the pack who will go out on a limb for the pack.I am a big fan of companionship also.Today vietnamese fruit friends visited me bearing gifts.They promised me a batched of their exquisite lemon chempa x jacks in November whe they revisit.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 12:02:40 PM »

Far right standing is Grover (I don't think he has registered in this forum, but is active in the garden Web temperate fruit forums), a friend of Gerry's and his traveling companion.  I don't think it goes further than that but who knows.  Harry

by the way, harry, with that comment, i consider you to have officially gained revenge for the comment i made about you imaginining two distinct threads that made you think you were devloping dementia

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »
Even Steven!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »
Hi Marin,
Thanks for sharing :) Great to see all them fellow members(+ Grover who needs to be invited ;) ) having a great time 8)

Good luck with them grafts, Marin ;)...please keep us posted...especially them Jack epi's, which i'm very much interested in :)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 12:11:34 PM »

Far right standing is Grover (I don't think he has registered in this forum, but is active in the garden Web temperate fruit forums), a friend of Gerry's and his traveling companion.  I don't think it goes further than that but who knows.  Harry

by the way, harry, with that comment, i consider you to have officially gained revenge for the comment i made about you imaginining two distinct threads that made you think you were devloping dementia

In his defense I do definitely recall a comment about how close you guys really planned to get in your 4 star hotel...I will not repeat the exact comment for fear that I may need to join the witness protection program :)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »

Don't remind me.. 4 days away!

Good Luck!!!!

Thanks!

From lef to right:

Gerry (Lycheeluva) seated and leaning, with the Foster Grants, trying to look important.  The scowling guy behind is murahilin (murahilin).  I think his shoes were a bit tight that day or perhaps he had stomach cramps. Then Katie (Hollywood), nice to have met you even though you are a lawyer ( I hate lawyers).  Then me sitting on my butt as usual. Then Abayomi (Future) from Bermuda.  Always a pleasure to have his shining face sitting across the fruit tasting table from you. Far right standing is Grover (I don't think he has registered in this forum, but is active in the garden Web temperate fruit forums), a friend of Gerry's and his traveling companion.  I don't think it goes further than that but who knows.  No, actually a very nice guy that has acreage up in Long Islang, NY and grows lots of temperate fruits. Then seated to the far right is Clint (SleepDoc).  He's a jakfruit lover extrodinaire.  He is the only one brave/foolish enough to climb to the top of my 30 foot jakfruit tree to pick fruits.  What would we do without him.  And that, my friends, is all.  Marin was kind enough to shoot us in our fruit eating glory.

Harry

I was not scowling. It was more of a neutral face. I will regain the ability to smile next Wednesday at 5pm.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »

I was not scowling. It was more of a neutral face. I will regain the ability to smile next Wednesday at 5pm.

good luck buddy

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 02:30:06 PM »
Sheehan,

Gu energy gel.  Your brain will want the glucose.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
Mura, good luck with your bar! I' sure you will have no problem ;)

Marin, thanks for sharing and good luck with the grafts  ;)

You guys in FL are sure have a good time...  ::)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 07:25:06 PM »
Murahilin, can you please take a self portrait photo next Wednesday at 5 pm> That will let us all know how you did. Seriously, i hope you ace it!  8) This world needs more lawyers!  ::)
Oscar

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »
ooh that was below the belt oscar!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 07:47:27 PM »

I almost went to law school myself. Applied and got into 3. But i decided not to become a lawyer. I think it was the student loans i would have had to take out that convinced me otherwise.
Oscar

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 08:38:46 PM »
Oscar- you are a smart man. The rest of us heard about the high entry salaries and failed to divide that salary by the required annual work hours. Therefore, we didn't realize what a monumental ripoff law school is.

Murahilin- good luck! Bring cash on the 2nd day, because the bar association provides a  keg as you exit the building.

I had such a great time last week. It is wonderful that Harry opens his home to so many people with such regularity.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 08:38:58 PM »
I'm looking at that picture and thinking, "man look at all the 6 figure salaries in there."

Just kidding :-).

I suppose that if you own property in HI, you probably have enough $$ in that land to pay off law school a few times over at this point :-). Not me. I was smart enough to buy just before the real estate market collapsed and now have a loan-to-value ratio so big that I can barely count that high. Ohh well, I'm just happy to have land to cultivate enough MANGOES to make Adam jealous.

I almost went to law school myself. Applied and got into 3. But i decided not to become a lawyer. I think it was the student loans i would have had to take out that convinced me otherwise.
Jeff  :-)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »
Yes I wish you the best of luck with your examination, it sounds a bit daunting.

My advice,

Bar none, never go to the bar, the night before taking the bar examination, you could be barred from becoming a litigator, and placing people behind bars.  :D  ;)

If I was a lawyer, I'd be striving to have big billboards all over town with my face on them, it seems like all the highest paid and most well respected attorneys near me have at least 20 signs.

Who knows, maybe one day we will see Murahaleen's face Happily looking down upon us from a giant roadside sign, with the text, "Have you been injured?". 

;D

Mura, good luck with your bar! I' sure you will have no problem ;)

Marin, thanks for sharing and good luck with the grafts  ;)

You guys in FL are sure have a good time...  ::)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com