Author Topic: yellow roseapple  (Read 10345 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
yellow roseapple
« on: September 07, 2014, 05:53:52 AM »
I found a new or rare tree again and bought one. It is the Chumpoo hom, namdocmai si thong. Yellow goodsmelling  rose-apple.

I saw the pic's from the fruit and they were big yellow fruits, the size of a small mango, round and very sweet.

While i was looking at the shop from grandpa a lady who spoke english told me she grew 2 of them but they had not fruited yet. She said they are nice sweet fruits so i bought one for fun.

When i google for yellow rose=apple i only find this, it is known in California but not the namdocmai si thong version (means yellow/gold) i guess.

http://fruitmaven.com/

So has anybody heard of the yellow rose-apple? Or is chumpoo also another fruit?

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 06:04:05 AM by bangkok »

Maickel

• Europe, Spain
    • View Profile
Re: yellow roseapple
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 06:52:32 AM »
Very interesting, i wanted to look at the link, but it seems to be not save to open it.
Is it a mango o other species?
Mike

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 07:38:05 AM »
Very interesting, i wanted to look at the link, but it seems to be not save to open it.
Is it a mango o other species?
Mike

No it is not a mango, chumpoo is rose-apple here, those watery red apples who are almost tasteless. They are nice when chilled and when you are very thirsty. Not a very special fruit for me but this yellow one looks totally different then the rose=apple and also much bigger. The picture the seller had hanging showed big round fruits like pomgranate's but according to that lady i spoke they were not pomgranates. It was not a very clear pic though but that grandpa always has special tree's for sale.

It must be something rare because i have never seen them on the markets.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:35:11 AM »
the flowers of rose apple are nice too and when they bloom, petals fall to the ground. this one probably will have yellow or maybe white flowers..

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 09:55:02 AM »
http://www.cambodia-picturetour.com/chan-fruit-khmer-fruit/

It might be this one, they looked a little bit flat on the picture but bigger then 5 cm.

This one smells very  nice and can be eaten but my wife told me this one is not nice to eat.  Well then i have a surprise tree that smells very good. we will see.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:19:49 AM »

It might be this one, they looked a little bit flat on the picture but bigger then 5 cm.

This one smells very  nice and can be eaten but my wife told me this one is not nice to eat.  Well then i have a surprise tree that smells very good. we will see.

the fruits in the first link have some resemblance to rose apple but not these

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »
Today i spoke a treeseller who can speak english and he also sold the yellow roseapple namdocmai. He also had pics.

They are round and flat at 2 sides and very very sweet he told me. If a Thai says that i will believe they are sweet so i'm still happy i grow it.

The size is like a mandarin or small orange. My tree is growing well so i will let you guys know when i can taste one, that can also be from the market if i find them somewhere.

waldi1

• Mexico, Guerrero, Zihuatanejo, 13b 17.60 N, 101.46W
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 02:21:47 PM »
It's called Pomarosa here in Mexico
Pcture of flower

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 11:53:46 PM »
It's called Pomarosa here in Mexico
Pcture of flower

At the pictures they showed me they looked more like a persimmon, round but flat at 2 sides. But this might be the same fruit, i don;t know for sure.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »
Within 100m of my work office building there are around 20 S.jambos trees over 20 years old planted along the streets.They are not considered one of the best and have drier and musky flesh with a large hollow around the seeds.Some streets have dozens of them up to 50 years old and the flying foxes enjoy them more than the people who just ignore them.Locally they get called rose apple,musk apple and even malay apple.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 08:54:13 PM »
Within 100m of my work office building there are around 20 S.jambos trees over 20 years old planted along the streets.They are not considered one of the best and have drier and musky flesh with a large hollow around the seeds.Some streets have dozens of them up to 50 years old and the flying foxes enjoy them more than the people who just ignore them.Locally they get called rose apple,musk apple and even malay apple.

Malay apple is another fruit here, they are totally dark red and sold on chatuchak market sometimes. They also look different then roseapples.

I don't think the yellow rose-apple is a new developed or found fruit, then the tree would have costed more. But my english speaking seller (who has many big treeshops) keeps a big board of pictures in his shop (behind his hammock) and he only has pictures of rare fruits on that board. The yellow rose-apple was on it, also that new jackfruit and new durian, and some more rare fruits.

That guy has a good reputation, cars stop all the time, they order the tree that they want (without coming out of the car) and he will pack it for them and sell it. So i don't think he makes things up. If the fruit was not nice he would tell so i guess but you never know anything for sure in Thailand.

waldi1

• Mexico, Guerrero, Zihuatanejo, 13b 17.60 N, 101.46W
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 08:38:34 PM »
Correction,
sent the wrong Photo
Attached flower of Pomarosa -Rose Apple

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 08:54:53 PM »
Malay Apples have the purple/pink flowers S.malacensis and S.samarangense is the wax apple.Bangkok I was just commenting how silly the common names are.Rose Apples are very common and widespread compared to Malay apples and especially more so than samarangense but the fruit quality is not as good.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 11:41:39 PM »
Malay Apples have the purple/pink flowers S.malacensis and S.samarangense is the wax apple.Bangkok I was just commenting how silly the common names are.Rose Apples are very common and widespread compared to Malay apples and especially more so than samarangense but the fruit quality is not as good.

Allright, well i only know the chumpoo roseapple who tastes very bland, i will just start buying every fruit that i haven't eaten yet from now on. Wether they will cheat me or not. I feel stupid living in the paradise of fruit and never tasting them haha.

I will go to the or tor kor market right now and see what i can buy. I have seen the malay apples there but hope to find the willughbeia (or lookalikes) from the Phuket seller.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 11:29:08 AM »
Very interesting, what is the cientific name of this species?

I have 4 pomarrosa trees
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »

I have 4 pomarrosa trees

Yes those look like the pics i have seen in the shops.

So they are from cambodia?

Maickel

• Europe, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 12:33:51 PM »
They look like Kaki Sharon i have.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 04:46:43 PM »

Fruit in that article is  Diospyros decandra
http://dictionary.tovnah.com/topic/fruit/Gold%20Apple
but  name Chomphûu náam dok mái, which looks to me like that thai name "Chumpoo hom, namdocmai" you wrote in the first post refers to Syzygium jambos.
https://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/m1/Podarki9/Syzygium_jambos5165Mland.jpg

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 08:06:38 PM »

This is my tree. I noticed that both sellers who sell this tree also sell the tropical wet-lowland fig variety's that no other sellers have. They seem to have arrived this year because i had never seen them before. I guess that somebody went to Cambodia to import those fruittree's.

If they are family from the persimmon that would be great! I love the persimmon and kaki but can't grow them here in my climate because it is to hot/humid.

I read that it is the national tree of the province Chantaburi in Thailand. That is the fruit-province.
It is grown near temples in Vietnam and has medicinal value. It is also called the gold-apple.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3374.0

Now my wife knows this fruit, it is not nice she said, only smells good.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:38:15 PM by bangkok »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 10:08:38 PM »
Those pics almost look like button mangosteen but not really I suppose.The Cambodian temple fruit that has a name that escapes me looks like it.Kh0110 will know it.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 03:49:52 AM »

This is my tree. I noticed that both sellers who sell this tree also sell the tropical wet-lowland fig variety's that no other sellers have. They seem to have arrived this year because i had never seen them before. I guess that somebody went to Cambodia to import those fruittree's.

If they are family from the persimmon that would be great! I love the persimmon and kaki but can't grow them here in my climate because it is to hot/humid.

I read that it is the national tree of the province Chantaburi in Thailand. That is the fruit-province.
It is grown near temples in Vietnam and has medicinal value. It is also called the gold-apple.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3374.0

Now my wife knows this fruit, it is not nice she said, only smells good.

Diospyros decandra grows close to temples in Vietnam and your description of fruit fits to it, but it does not have oposite pairs of  leaves like your plant, which more resembles  syzigium jambos .

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 04:15:19 AM »
Radoslav you might be right. Well i will keep it anyway untill it fruits. Then we will see what to do with it.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 03:19:34 AM »
I think this is the one.

Chomphu-nam dok mai (Syzygium jambos (L.) Alston)

Rose apple or "Chomphu-nam dok mai" as it is known in Thailand is also in the Myrtaceae family. It is believed to have originated in Southeast Asia and Malaysia and South Thailand may be its centre of origin (van Lingen, 1991). Some literature claims that it was introduced from India (Morton, 1987) and the East Indies (Kennard and Winters, 1960). The tree has been grown throughout the tropics and has become naturalized in many tropical countries.

2.1 Vernacular names

Rose apple, malabar plum (English); pome rose, jambosier (France); jambu air mawar, jambu mawar, jambu kraton (Indonesia); jambu kelampol, jambu mawer (Malaysia); tampoy (Tagalog), bunlaun (Bisaya), yambo (Philippines); châm-puu (Cambodia); chièng, kieng (Laos); chomphu-nam dok mai (Central), manom hom (North), yamu-panawa (Malay-Yala) (Thailand); lý bô dào, roi (Viet Nam).

2.2 General description

Chomphu-nam dok mai is an evergreen tree, which can grow up to 10 m tall with a 50 cm trunk diameter. The tree is low branching and often found as a dense crown of wide-spreading branches. The stem is twisted at the base with brown, furrowed, smooth bark. The leaves are about 926 × 1.5-6 cm in size, shiny and pink when young then fading to pale green on the upper side and lighter green and obscurely glandular punctate on the lower side. They are narrow and gradually tapered to the base with 6-13 mm long petiole. Inflorescences are short terminal or axillary corymbs, with 4-10 flowers. The flowers are large and showy, white to pale green, sweetly scented, and about 5-10 cm wide. Fruit is a drupe, globose to ovoid and about 2.5-5 cm in diameter. The fruits are crowned by persistent calyx and style. When ripe they may be greenish, or dull yellow flushed with pink. The fruit skin is dull, the flesh is whitish, firm and rose scented. The fruit ripens in about 3 months after bloom. The rose-water smell of the fruit is a distinct character of this species.

2.3 Propagation

Chomphu-nam dok mai is normally propagated from seeds. The seeds have no dormancy and germinate well. A single seed often gives rise to 3-8 seedlings and most of them are true to type. Asexual propagation such as marcotting, budding and grafting can be done, but marcotting seems to be most common. Initial planting should be shaded. The juvenile phase lasts 4-5 years, and the marcotted plants can bear fruit within 4 years. Little husbandry is required after planting.

2.4 Uses

The fruits, if meant to be consumed fresh, should be handled with care after harvest and marketed as quickly as possible. The fruits bruise easily and rapidly lose their crispness. Besides fresh consumption, the fruit is also cooked or preserved in various ways for home use. It can be distilled to yield a rose-water which is said to be equal to the best obtained from rose petals. A yellow coloured essential oil, important in the perfume industry, is derived from the leaves by distillation. The heartwood is heavy and hard, and is suitable for use in construction. However, the wood is very susceptible to termite attack and not durable in the soil. The bark contains 7 percent tannin on a dry weight basis and is used by local villagers for tanning and dyeing purposes. Several parts of the tree are used medicinally as a tonic or a diuretic.

The nutritional value per 100 g edible portion of the fruit comprises: 84-89 g water, 0.5-0.8 g protein, 0.2-0.3 g fat, 9.7-14.2 g carbohydrates, 1-2 g fibre, 0.3-0.4 g ash, 123-235 IU carotene, 0.55-1.01 mg Vitamin B complex and 3-37 vitamin C. The energy value is 234 kJ/100 g. The pulp has high pectin content and it is suitable for use as a settling agent.

2.5 Prospects

The prospect of developing Chomphu-nam dok mai production at commercial scale is slim. This is mainly due to lack of market demand. Low yield, susceptible to bruising and short shelf-life are the disadvantages of the crop. Thus, at present Chomphu-nam dok mai is expected to remain as a home garden tree, and is appreciated for its ornamental value as much as for its fruit.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 04:17:19 AM »

I have 4 pomarrosa trees

Diospyros decandra, aka Moon Fruit. A cousin of Persimmons.
Thera

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 04:23:45 AM »
For Chompoo or Champoo, that's how Cambodians/Thais call Wax Jambu aka Wax Apple. Even Malay Apples are called Jamba/Chompoo.
Thera

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk