Author Topic: Does someone grow Coccoloba uvifera ? Info  (Read 1956 times)

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
Does someone grow Coccoloba uvifera ? Info
« on: July 18, 2015, 03:29:03 PM »
I'd like to know something about Coccoloba uvifera....how does it taste? i read it can be eaten...is it worth? I saw it only in tropical region...can it thrive also in not tropical frost-free area?
 :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Does someone grow Coccoloba uvifera ? Info
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 06:14:39 PM »
Grows wild here along the coast. Very salt tolerant. Fruits are quite small, and ok, but not really great. I've heard it makes good jelly and wine, but have never tried it. I consider it mostly an ornamental tree.
Oscar

Bonakyon

• Guanaja, Honduras. zone 11b
    • View Profile
    • Guanaja Real Estate
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 11:49:51 PM »
Also grows wild here, and is appreciated by most. During the season people gather up the fallen fruit and sell them along the road side. There are two varieties here. One is bigger, more of a brown color when ripe, has more flesh and a very slight difference in flavor than the more widely available smaller purple variety. Never tried the wine or jelly either, enjoying them ripe is a enough of a treat... the edible portion is sparse but the intense taste is well worth the effort to gather up a couple pounds in my opinion.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 09:38:59 AM »
Grows wild all over South Florida and is used here for jelly by a few afficianados also but mostly ignored by the locals. It's Ok but not really worth the trouble....
FloridaGreenMan

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 01:42:35 PM »
On my trip to Roatan, Honduras I saw many vendors selling them in the downtown area,  there was the purple ones and the green ones,  I liked them,  to me they taste like raisins hidrated with water,  walking by the beach towards new moon bay I came across a tree loaded with fruits,  many on the ground and of good size and sweet flavorful,  I brought some seeds and now one of the 3 trees I planted together is flowering  For second time,  I hope it sets something as you know is dioecious,  last season it flowered a few tiny fruits were form but then they drop,  probably quality of fruits varyes in dif.  Areas,  I will prefer this ones over a
regular Cabelludhina which doesn't really have a signicant amount of flesh,  another plus is the tree is beautyful with the big round leaves!
El verde es vida!

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 10:00:33 AM »
How could you describe its flavor?

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:47:59 AM »
To me is as I said if you take a raisin grape and put it in a glass of water for an hour or so, they also have another flavor quite strong for me but pleasant, I like them is not something to die for, but is something different
El verde es vida!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk