Author Topic: I scream, you scream we all scream for ice cream.  (Read 5806 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
I scream, you scream we all scream for ice cream.
« on: July 28, 2012, 01:23:49 AM »
Ok here is the situation, I have a potted mango tree that was given to me as "Ice Cream", the foliage is exactly like what I have seen online, ( thin leaves ).  this year it has flowered for the first time and has set and has held on to 3 fruit.

The problem is the fruit do not look like Ice Cream,  they are big and more elongated than Ice cream I have had. 
( I will try and get a picture up tomorrow ).  the fruit is still on the tree.

What other varieties have leaves similar to Ice Cream?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: I scream, you scream we all scream for ice cream.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:27:55 AM »
Ok here is the situation, I have a potted mango tree that was given to me as "Ice Cream", the foliage is exactly like what I have seen online, ( thin leaves ).  this year it has flowered for the first time and has set and has held on to 3 fruit.

The problem is the fruit do not look like Ice Cream,  they are big and more elongated than Ice cream I have had. 
( I will try and get a picture up tomorrow ).  the fruit is still on the tree.

Need pictures or tree, leaves and fruit.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 08:00:58 AM »

The answer is that many mango trees leaves are similar, many too similar to make a positive ID from the leaf alone.  There are rare types that the leaves are so different that one can draw some possible conclusions from the leaves.....but positive ID is still not 100%. Remember, some mango mis-identifications result in seedling trees being identified as grafted ones.  Seedling trees may have some of the characterictics of the parents but never have all of them.  So a leaf may look just like the parent but the fruit may look entirely different. While Ice Ceam does have a smaller, dinstinctive leaf, leaf appearance and size can be greatly affected by things like lighting, nutrition and location.  For example, I just looked at my Ice Cream leaves and althought they were consistantly smaller than the leaves on the next tree (Spirit of 76), there were leaves on that Spiriti of 76 that if I removed them and layed them side by side with the Ice cream leaves, I doubt many people would have been able to tell them apart. Flowering in most plants and fruiting in mangoes is, of course, the final tests......but even then, with some mangoes, ID isn't always 100%.

Harry
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:45:00 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »
BTW, not to hijack, but I made homemade mango ice cream 2 weeks ago with a little bit of lime juice/zest in it. It was very, very good.
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:28:03 PM »

The answer is that many mango trees leaves are similar, many too similar to make a positive ID from the leaf alone.  There are rare types that the leaves are so different that one can draw some possible conclusions from the leaves.....but positive ID is still not 100%. Remember, some mango mis-identifications result in seedling trees being identified as grafted ones.  Seedling trees may have some of the characterictics of the parents but never have all of them.  So a leaf may look just like the parent but the fruit may look entirely different. While Ice Ceam does have a smaller, dinstinctive leaf, leaf appearance and size can be greatly affected by things like lighting, nutrition and location.  For example, I just looked at my Ice Cream leaves and althought they were consistantly smaller than the leaves on the next tree (Spirit of 76), there were leaves on that Spiriti of 76 that if I removed them and layed them side by side with the Ice cream leaves, I doubt many people would have been able to tell them apart. Flowering in most plants and fruiting in mangoes is, of course, the final tests......but even then, with some mangoes, ID isn't always 100%.

Harry

Oh come on Harry! Don't you want to take the Dr. Leaf test? I will pluck random leaves from 1000 different mango cultivars, lay them side by side and then you have to take the mango bar exam, and tell us which is which. HAHAHAHA  Will let you know in 2 months if you got any correctly.  ;)
Oscar

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »
Ok here is the mango in question.

These two are on same tree, a bit smaller than the one above. and yes that is powdery mildew, my other trees get very little if any.

Another shot of the big one.   but even the smaller ones are larger than Ice Cream mangoes I have tried.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 09:00:47 PM »
So that's what a hundred dollar bill looks like....

NICE!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 09:27:07 PM »
I'd say that is a Ben Franklin cultivar of mango.  ::) Wait a minute. Is that the same prop you used on the macambo plants? I'm just trying to establish William whether you have in your posession more than $100?
Seriousy though, those leaves look very similar to my ice cream mango tree, long and very narrow. My tree hasn't fruited yet, so can't compare that.
I almost wrote ice cream bean tree, instead of ice cream mango. HAHAHA  Too many ice creams in the tropical fruit world of names! I'm going to eat some ice cream bananas right now.  :P
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 09:46:03 PM »
The pictures look like the Ice Cream mangoes that Top Tropicals pictures in their site.  And no, they don't look like the ones I grow or have seen elsewhere.  Would like to see what they look like inside and how the flavor is before trying to further ID.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 09:53:21 PM »
I'd say that is a Ben Franklin cultivar of mango.  ::) Wait a minute. Is that the same prop you used on the macambo plants? I'm just trying to establish William whether you have in your posession more than $100?
Seriousy though, those leaves look very similar to my ice cream mango tree, long and very narrow. My tree hasn't fruited yet, so can't compare that.
I almost wrote ice cream bean tree, instead of ice cream mango. HAHAHA  Too many ice creams in the tropical fruit world of names! I'm going to eat some ice cream bananas right now.  :P

Yeah its the same 100 dollar bill, took these picture earlier today,  and sadly only have a couple for emergency, i get paid in Pesos here.
William

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 10:00:52 AM »
As Harry stated, would want to see the flesh color but from the pics, looks like an Ice Cream mango to me...unfortunately I had some a couple of weeks ago which I could have posted for comparison but they looked very similar.
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
Hard to tell from the pics, but I would have to say at this point that it does look a bit different than my Ice Cream Mango.  Mine are "flatter" in the shoulders like Pine Islands viewer ..

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/ice-cream-mango.shtml

Mine

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »
The ones I have seen look exactly as those poted by SleepDoc. Seems the ones posted originally are longer than what I am used to seeing.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 11:50:36 PM »
I picked the two smaller ones off the tree, one had changed color to a light green, and felt ripe, the other "small" one looks like it will be ripe tomorrow.

amazingly the big one is still hard as a rock, and still growing.

One thing i noticed is a strong pine scent on the ripe one, I cut it open, and it was ripe, looked like it was leaning towards having a bit of Jelly Seed, but the texture was very smooth like the Ice Cream I have had in the past.  the only thing "off" was that pine smell.

I will pick the big one off tomorrow and let it finish ripening off the tree, we are getting a lot of rain and do not want to risk it getting Jelly Seed.

I will also take a picture of that one once I cut it open, although my 14 year old daughter has called dibs on the actual fruit , I told her I needed to taste it at least.

I believe they really are Ice Cream, taste and texture , although the pine oil scent was strong on the one I tested.
William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk