Author Topic: Can a mango be TOO rich, a bit overwhelming? Top dressed with gypsum too.  (Read 4107 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Wife and I tried to get thru a medium size Sweet Tart yesterday, couldn't do it.  It was actually too rich (yes, i know this sounds weird) so we put the rest back in the fridge.  IOW we need to pair it with a meal to balance out the experience.  This may be a case too of us not being accustomed to great mangos.

I followed the advice of several by supplementing the trees with calcium........top dressing the pot with Gypsum about 3 weeks ago and using my well water which is super high in Ca and Mg bicarbs.  Brix of a Lemon Zest came in at 28* and the complexity is just crazy.  Have more to go on these young, first year fruiting trees and here it is September!

Just pulled more Sweet Tarts and Lemon Zest.  Will zest/juice the key limes and freeze them.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Can a mango be TOO rich, a bit overwhelming? Top dressed with gypsum too.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 10:36:46 AM »
According to some old Roman dude, there is no disputing taste. So, yes, I would say that you may well find a mango to be too rich.

That hasn't happened to me yet with mangos, but I do find mamey sapote to be too rich for me to eat much of.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 12:04:26 PM »
Yes, I think so. The sweet tarts we had this year were not ripened perfectly. They were still good, but overpowering. Decided against top-working one of our trees with ST, but think maybe should give it another chance.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »
This happens to me too.
Most of the time I want a nice big bowl of Mangoes so one good Kent is the perfect example of what I'm looking for.
Don't think I can have that much ST or lemon zest with out going diabetic. Lol

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »
I pulled my 10 ft. Sweet Tart tree, it did not do it for me in flavor, just like yourself. I want a mango that I can eat 4-5 a day and crave a few more still, and that mango does not cut it for me. Kathy K-3 would be a much better pick IMO. Or many others!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »
That's a great problem you have Mark. We've had several mangos that we're in that Brix range at our local Mango tastings and they were super concentrated with flavor and definitely sugar bombs. These mangos with super concentrated flavors and sugars would be excellent to accompany sticky rice as long as the rice is not too sweet and has enough coconut and salt to balance the sugar and concentrated flavors from the mangos.

Simon

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 04:17:43 PM »
That's a great problem you have Mark. We've had several mangos that we're in that Brix range at our local Mango tastings and they were super concentrated with flavor and definitely sugar bombs. These mangos with super concentrated flavors and sugars would be excellent to accompany sticky rice as long as the rice is not too sweet and has enough coconut and salt to balance the sugar and concentrated flavors from the mangos.

Simon

2nd that. sweet mango is  perfect with coconut sticky rice.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 04:38:25 PM »
Perhaps for some shake or smoothie also.

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »
Cocktails anyone?

Fresh mango margarita.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 01:45:57 AM »
I couldn't agree more with Simon and Knlim000. Chris
-Chris

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »
I pulled my 10 ft. Sweet Tart tree, it did not do it for me in flavor, just like yourself. I want a mango that I can eat 4-5 a day and crave a few more still, and that mango does not cut it for me. Kathy K-3 would be a much better pick IMO. Or many others!

We love the flavor, just didn't expect it to be so rich such that the experience gets old.  It's like ordering a big plate of fettucine smothered in rich cheese and nothing else.  After about 6 bites you're going to want a salad.

Good idea Simon.  We took the rest of the chunks, mixed them with hot (spicy) salsa, served them with tortilla chips last night and man, was it a treat!  Gonna make a mango salsa today with chopped onions, S/P, lime, serranos or jalapenos, cilantro.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 09:01:10 AM »
Cocktails anyone?

Fresh mango margarita.

There's a restaurant in San Antonio (Tioga Grill) that makes a frozen avocado/mango margarita.  It is excellent.  Both fruits are blended in.  Rich as hell too, best drank with another, two straw drink.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:04:30 AM by Mark in Texas »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 10:18:45 AM »

We love the flavor, just didn't expect it to be so rich such that the experience gets old.  It's like ordering a big plate of fettucine smothered in rich cheese and nothing else.  After about 6 bites you're going to want a salad.

Good idea Simon.  We took the rest of the chunks, mixed them with hot (spicy) salsa, served them with tortilla chips last night and man, was it a treat!  Gonna make a mango salsa today with chopped onions, S/P, lime, serranos or jalapenos, cilantro.

Good idea on the salsa.  Thats a great use.  Pair it with some reed guac and tout got dinner.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »
Good idea on the salsa.  Thats a great use.  Pair it with some reed guac and tout got dinner.

That's exactly what we're gonna do.  Should go well with the gumbo we're gonna make today using my red "okrie" and a friend's heavily smoked sausage, home grown corn, maters, etc.   ;)

BTW, finally got around to starting some of your cherimoya seeds.  This is what I did - took large toenail clippers and carefully snipped 3-4 times around the seed coat's  side, each snip being about 1/8" long.  Dropped them into some 3% hydrogen peroxide overnight.  They sank suggesting they're hydrated.  Have them in a folded damp paper towel which is tucked in a baggie.

Sound OK?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 12:01:11 PM »

That's exactly what we're gonna do.  Should go well with the gumbo we're gonna make today using my red "okrie" and a friend's heavily smoked sausage, home grown corn, maters, etc.   ;)

BTW, finally got around to starting some of your cherimoya seeds.  This is what I did - took large toenail clippers and carefully snipped 3-4 times around the seed coat's  side, each snip being about 1/8" long.  Dropped them into some 3% hydrogen peroxide overnight.  They sank suggesting they're hydrated.  Have them in a folded damp paper towel which is tucked in a baggie.

Sound OK?

Sounds all good especially the corn and gumbo with okra.  Sounds amazing.  Bowl of gumbo with slices of reed on top if it was me.  Break out the ice cream maker and make some mango ice cream or sherbert.  Or maybe a smoothie with some myers rum.  Possibilities are endless.  Im getting hungry now.

Good luck with the seeds, I have not sprouted any of those myself.  You can probably get them to a good size fo grafting by next spring.  Going to make a coctail annona tree?
Brad Spaugh

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 09:42:38 PM »
Hmm. I definitely cannot concur on that one. I can plow through 2 or 3 sweet tarts in a single sitting... and then round out the day with several other rich varieties. I literally put on (and subsequently lose) 5 to 10 pounds every year doing mango season. Over time, one tends to build up a "tolerance."

Congrats on the 28 brix lemon zest.
Jeff  :-)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 11:27:10 PM »
Hmm. I definitely cannot concur on that one. I can plow through 2 or 3 sweet tarts in a single sitting... and then round out the day with several other rich varieties. I literally put on (and subsequently lose) 5 to 10 pounds every year doing mango season. Over time, one tends to build up a "tolerance."

I second that!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 08:04:08 AM »
Good luck with the seeds, I have not sprouted any of those myself.  You can probably get them to a good size fo grafting by next spring.  Going to make a coctail annona tree?

Perhaps, have to wait and see.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 08:06:48 AM »

Thanks Jeff.  Hope to build up to that kind of tolerance!  If you happen to have the link that was posted on the Ca to N ratio, would appreciate it.  Was that not 1:10, N to Ca?  Believe there was some PDF file that I'm looking for.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk