Author Topic: "Jakarta" Mango  (Read 11259 times)

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
"Jakarta" Mango
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:20:27 PM »
Hello Friends,

Could those of you that have a "Jakarta" Mango tree comment on the fruit, size, taste, etc.... As well as the growth habit of the tree.

I read somewhere that the flavor has "Lychee" undertones or nuances.  Any thruth?

Thanks,

Jacob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: "Jakarta" Mango
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »
I never got a lychee undertone. Then again, most people disregard my taste opinions.

It is one of my favorite mangos. It is a large fruit with a strong flavor. I think Harry described it as resinous. I think it's delicious. I'll look through my folders for a pic. I might have one.

The tree isn't too big. Harry has had problems with it not setting fruit and every bloom getting hit with powdery mildew.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:44:24 PM »
Definitely a pronouned resinous flavor to it.  Its a very attractive fruit, develops a nice orange-sunset color when exposed to sun. medium-to-large.

Gonna disagree with with murahilin a little, Jakarta trees seem to be pretty vigorous, upright growers from what I've seen. Also fairly susceptible to internal breakdown due to late-season rain.

I think the flavor would appeal to anyone who has tried and liked Bombay. I do like Jakarta though it wouldn't crack my top-tier.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:42 PM »
Definitely a pronouned resinous flavor to it.  Its a very attractive fruit, develops a nice orange-sunset color when exposed to sun. medium-to-large.

Gonna disagree with with murahilin a little, Jakarta trees seem to be pretty vigorous, upright growers from what I've seen. Also fairly susceptible to internal breakdown due to late-season rain.

I think the flavor would appeal to anyone who has tried and liked Bombay. I do like Jakarta though it wouldn't crack my top-tier.

Please don't insult the wonderful Jakarta and compare it to the lowly Bombay.

The reason I said it wasn't too big is because it isn't small like pickering and not big like a VP so I figured it's in the middle. I've only seen two Jakartas in the ground so they may not be indicative of how vigorous Jakarta's are actually supposed to be.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:04:49 PM »

Please don't insult the wonderful Jakarta and compare it to the lowly Bombay.

The reason I said it wasn't too big is because it isn't small like pickering and not big like a VP so I figured it's in the middle. I've only seen two Jakartas in the ground so they may not be indicative of how vigorous Jakarta's are actually supposed to be.

lol,I happen to love Bombay....like it better than Jakarta even. Its resin flavor isn't quite as strong as Jakarta's, imo. I ate a ton of Bombays last year, was a pretty good crop for them across the state.

I think the thing about Jakarta that I find disappointing more than anything is its production....which is fairly mediocre for a larger-sized tree. I think its comparable to Bailey's Marvel in that regard.

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:29:11 PM »
Hello Friends,

Thanks for the information.  Sheehan and Squam, I appreciate your input and your experience.  Here is the situation.  Right now I have the following Mango Trees:

1) Pickering
2) Coconut Cream
3) Alphonso
4) Pina Colada
5) Lemon Zest
6) Seedling Mango tree

My Sister has now come to me with a Request for a "Jakarta" Mango tree.  She is a "Mango Lover" you could say, and has apparently gone to several websites to look up different varieties of Mangos.  She has decided on the "Jakarta" not based on tasting the fruit, but rather what she has read.  So, I just wanted to get some information from those who really know the real deal with this Mango and have tasted it.

Still don't know what I am going to do about buying this Mango tree or not.

Thanks Again,

Jacob
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:34:03 PM by Jacob13 »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:40:04 PM »
I love the Jakarta mango and I'm currently growing one in a 5 gallon container. The mango itself can get really big with has no fiber at all, dark orange flesh with a spicy flavor profile, seems ppl call this resinous. I can't wait to get my tree in the ground!

_JoeP450

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:42:52 AM »
Hello Friends,

Thanks for the information.  murahilin and Squam, I appreciate your input and your experience.  Here is the situation.  Right now I have the following Mango Trees:

1) Pickering
2) Coconut Cream
3) Alphonso
4) Pina Colada
5) Lemon Zest
6) Seedling Mango tree

My Sister has now come to me with a Request for a "Jakarta" Mango tree.  She is a "Mango Lover" you could say, and has apparently gone to several websites to look up different varieties of Mangos.  She has decided on the "Jakarta" not based on tasting the fruit, but rather what she has read.  So, I just wanted to get some information from those who really know the real deal with this Mango and have tasted it.

Still don't know what I am going to do about buying this Mango tree or not.

Thanks Again,

Jacob

She should probably try it first then since its a somewhat 'polarizing' mango in terms of flavor (not unlike Carrie...which some people love and some hate). There's a number of other cultivars I'd plant before Jakarta anyways, for reasons that go beyond just flavor. And relying on what you read on the internet isn't always going to give you the best picture of how a mango will taste to you (e.g., Pine island recommends Glenn over Dot when most people would probably prefer Dot if they tried them both).

I'm a big proponent of 'try it before you buy it' even though I don't always practice it myself.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:46:39 AM by Squam256 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 01:13:46 AM »
Hello Friends,

Could those of you that have a "Jakarta" Mango tree comment on the fruit, size, taste, etc.... As well as the growth habit of the tree.

I read somewhere that the flavor has "Lychee" undertones or nuances.  Any thruth?

Thanks,

Jacob

Never had one but I know it is rarely discussed at gardenWeb or here. I never hear it mentioned so maybe this tells you something. If I lived out there I would get a LaVerne nursery Manila mango or a Nam Doc Mai

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 07:59:20 AM »
Hello Friends,

No truth to that at all from my perspective....either as an undertone or otherwise. According to the Fairchild Mango book, it is supposedly a seedling of Paheri and was an earlier Zill selection.  The tree is decribed as vigorous, with a medium to large dense canopy.  They say the eating quality is "Good" on the Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor  scale (apologies to Murahilin.....but what do the folks at Fairchild know about mangoes??) The flesh is decribed as tender with juicy deep yellow color, rich flavor.....spicy and resinous with a weak pleasant aroma.  It has "little" but not "no" fiber in the flesh. The exterior can get a very intense orange-red coloration.....but they haven't ever achieved this at my house. It is supposed to have excellent production here in Flroida , but I have not experienced that.  It definitely has a big problelm with powdery mildew at my house.  In short, I would go with another mango tree choice.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 10:02:42 AM »
I agree with Harry and echo that I have tasted them enough to say I see NO lychee characteristic, taste-wise, whatsoever.  I can't speak personally on production but I have heard Harry say this about his personal experience with Jakarta production...however, I have seen and heard of other having good success with production.  Taste-wise, it does have that spicy, resinous twang to them which I am not a big fan of but in all fairness to murahilin, some are a big fan of that taste (yes, I am trying to stick up for you though I still feel your palate is somewhat skewed against the sweet and truly better flavors in  favor of the sour, tart, and resinous/chemical flavors  :) :o ;D 8) ).

To not waste a lot of time, space, energy and money, I would also highly recommend her tasting it prior to you buying it.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »
Taste-wise, it does have that spicy, resinous twang to them which I am not a big fan of

I like spicy and resinous because those were the first only (almost only) backyard mangoes I had access to for years. Well actually I did get a lot of big purple mangoes from a neighbor which were sweet and non-resinous. But the curse of that tree (and it drove me nuts) was that neighbor B would strip neighbor A's tree bare of mangoes as a favor to Mr A who was in his 90s. Instead of letting the fruit ripen naturally over a four week period. The stripped fruit would fill 20 large brown paper shopping bags with handles you used to get at supermarkets. Ridiculous Whole Foods Mkt still has them.... Anyway those 20 bags of fruit were given away. That huge tree got half uprooted by Wilma. It was laying half on its side and still gave up tons of mangoes the next year with only half the roots. The house was sold and next owner demolished the tree instead of setting it right. So now you have green grass there and no beautiful mango tree. Neighbor A lived to 98 in that house but his daughter finally took him to live with her because he was getting senile. He and his wife spent WW2 hiding out from the Nazis in Poland. They came here as refugees after the war. He had lots of stories about what a murderous bastard Leonid Breshnev was during WW2 serving as a Russian Army general.

Lets leave out the supermarket mangoes.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 05:54:36 PM »
I grew and fruited this mango at my house in Davie FL and would not grow it again. It was resinous and just not a good mango. I have never seen it offered at any of the tropical tree sales here so that tells you something. Find something else....we are not kidding!   
FloridaGreenMan

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 09:41:19 PM »
Hello Friends,

No truth to that at all from my perspective....either as an undertone or otherwise. According to the Fairchild Mango book, it is supposedly a seedling of Paheri and was an earlier Zill selection.  The tree is decribed as vigorous, with a medium to large dense canopy.  They say the eating quality is "Good" on the Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor  scale (apologies to Murahilin.....but what do the folks at Fairchild know about mangoes??) The flesh is decribed as tender with juicy deep yellow color, rich flavor.....spicy and resinous with a weak pleasant aroma.  It has "little" but not "no" fiber in the flesh. The exterior can get a very intense orange-red coloration.....but they haven't ever achieved this at my house. It is supposed to have excellent production here in Flroida , but I have not experienced that.  It definitely has a big problelm with powdery mildew at my house.  In short, I would go with another mango tree choice.

I think I saw a video before of Dr Campbell saying at Fairchild they purposely load up their mangos with potassium during flowering to fruit ripening to greatly influence and bring out the red coloration on the outer skin. This could be the difference between what was documented in the book versus your cultural practices for your Jakarta Harry?

_JoeP450

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
Hello Friends,

I think I saw a video before of Dr Campbell saying at Fairchild they purposely load up their mangos with potassium during flowering to fruit ripening to greatly influence and bring out the red coloration on the outer skin. This could be the difference between what was documented in the book versus your cultural practices for your Jakarta Harry?

_JoeP450
There is also the possibility that climate and locale play a role (exposure to sun, type of soil being grown in, water makeup/source, etc.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 07:48:01 AM »

_JoeP450

No queston that this could cause a difference.  I haven't fertilized my mango trees in years.  Did a more or less balanced fertilizer years ago when I did. Proximity to the coast and of course, sun exposure to the actual fruits also can play a role.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »
_JoeP450
"I think I saw a video before of Dr Campbell saying at Fairchild they purposely load up their mangos with potassium during flowering to fruit ripening to greatly influence and bring out the red coloration on the outer skin. This could be the difference between what was documented in the book versus your cultural practices for your Jakarta Harry?"

JoeP, is this Video you are referring to?
Growing Mangos Using Low Nitrogen

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 08:05:29 AM »
Yes that's the same video. To be honest though I don't really care to go through the trouble of making my mangos red-er but interesting information none the less.

_JoeP450

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 08:18:08 AM »
I agree with you...I would like to try the high Potassium fertilizer though for the other benefits for the blooms and fruits, not necessarily for the redder color.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »
At Zills, back when the "Jakarta" originated, 'Paheri' was considered to be synonimous with 'Bombay.'  "Jakarta" was a misnomer which stuck, for a seedling of 'Bombay', and was thought to have been fathered by 'Kent.'

Among many mango conoseiurs, "resinous" is not a bad word at all;  resin is a category of "Spicey"---  much sought after.  Examples of resinous mangos include 'Extrema', 'Rosa', 'Carrie', 'Valcarrie', 'Graham', 'Turpentine' (for wonderful juice), 'Gary', and yes, "Jakarta."

I agree that you should taste a mango and like it before you bother to plant it in the ground.

Even if you like "Jakarta" you should only plant it if you have room for many mango varieties.

Defects.  "Jakarta" production is usually poor to mediocre.  They are high on the Best-Mangos-List of woodpeckers!  Coloration is usually mottled green-orange-red-yellow, not a problem.  The occurrence of internal defects probably is from some varieties' being less efficent users of Calcium and Boron and Zinc--- this is speculative.  Tree size is the normal too vigorous, too large.
Har

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »
At Zills, back when the "Jakarta" originated, 'Paheri' was considered to be synonimous with 'Bombay.'  "Jakarta" was a misnomer which stuck, for a seedling of 'Bombay', and was thought to have been fathered by 'Kent.'

Among many mango conoseiurs, "resinous" is not a bad word at all;  resin is a category of "Spicey"---  much sought after.  Examples of resinous mangos include 'Extrema', 'Rosa', 'Carrie', 'Valcarrie', 'Graham', 'Turpentine' (for wonderful juice), 'Gary', and yes, "Jakarta."

I agree that you should taste a mango and like it before you bother to plant it in the ground.

Even if you like "Jakarta" you should only plant it if you have room for many mango varieties.

Defects.  "Jakarta" production is usually poor to mediocre.  They are high on the Best-Mangos-List of woodpeckers!  Coloration is usually mottled green-orange-red-yellow, not a problem.  The occurrence of internal defects probably is from some varieties' being less efficent users of Calcium and Boron and Zinc--- this is speculative.  Tree size is the normal too vigorous, too large.
Har - odd. I have tasted many Gary and never thought of them being resinous/spice...
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk