Author Topic: Worst mango blooms  (Read 5651 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Worst mango blooms
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:21:57 PM »
My Rosigold bloomed a bit before the other varieties (but much later than in prior years).

I had considered Rosigold pretty disease-resistant, but that isn't the case this year. Most of the older panicles look awful. I'm hoping the newer ones won't be as bad.  I sprayed with Daconil once and with copper a couple times.

In prior years the fruit-set was outstanding. I should have thinned the fruit, but didn't much. Maybe that left the tree a bit stressed?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Worst mango blooms
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:14:59 PM »
Ah yes......the Rosigold dilemma.  Very early flowering and fruiting.  The anthracnose resistance is almost nill...at least in my yard.  It will set and hold fruit but it requires almost daily copper applications until the fruits gets some size......especially if it is rainy or heavy dew areas.  Probably could get away with a couple times a week with no rain and good  spreader  sticker .  My trees are on their second bloom of the season and I haven't had the chance to spray.  The results or rather lack of fruit holding reults is very upsetting.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:51:16 AM »
My Rosigold bloomed a bit before the other varieties (but much later than in prior years).

I had considered Rosigold pretty disease-resistant, but that isn't the case this year. Most of the older panicles look awful. I'm hoping the newer ones won't be as bad.  I sprayed with Daconil once and with copper a couple times.

In prior years the fruit-set was outstanding. I should have thinned the fruit, but didn't much. Maybe that left the tree a bit stressed?

Did your tree have blooms on it, and experience temps of around 38F with wind?

Maybe this made the blooms look so bad?  It certainly looks like the plant is in a wind exposed area.

Good luck!

Snapping off panicles, can induce a second round of flowers, like deadheading roses!  My icecream mango is on it's second round!   The first round was too wet in greenhouse, so maybe I get a second chance.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:31:29 PM »
My icecream mango is on it's second round!   The first round was too wet in greenhouse, so maybe I get a second chance.

Interesting....at my house this year, my ice cream mango is one of the very few mango trees that has not bloomed yet.  I have some two foot tall trees of other cultivars that are in full bloom. I wonder what is with my Ice cream mango. 

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 12:41:54 PM »
My icecream mango is on it's second round!   The first round was too wet in greenhouse, so maybe I get a second chance.

Interesting....at my house this year, my ice cream mango is one of the very few mango trees that has not bloomed yet.  I have some two foot tall trees of other cultivars that are in full bloom. I wonder what is with my Ice cream mango. 

Harry
You must not have treated it with enough love  8)
- Rob

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:47:15 AM »
Dan - a big UGH to the Rosie blooms!!!!!!!  Mine is just starting to through out panicles,
but your's do look quite shabby - the little manges that is....seems like Harry knows the
story with the anthracnose deal......all I know is I MUST get more that one mango this year
from my 4 year old tree or something drastic is going to happen!!!

Go luck, danny boy....

fang

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 09:44:29 AM »
Harry, I think I just assumed that any tree promoted by Fairchild would be disease-resistant.  Clearly not. Generally the weather has been dry in previous years when Rosi bloomed.

Adam, we had one night in the low forties during early bloom. I don't remember whether there was wind.   Speaking of snipping off the panicles,  I have two tiny mango trees with as many panicles as leaves (poetic license).  I don't want to encourage them to bloom again, so when do I remove the flowers or fruit?

Fang,  at four year of age your tree better give you a couple dozen nice fruit.  Otherwise whip it into submission. Or whisper sweet nothings in her ear???

Home Depot was out of copper spray last night. So today I'm spraying with something called Organocide Plant Doctor. It's labeled as a systemic fungicide, for anthracnose on mangos, among other things. It contains Mono- and Di-potassium salts of phosphorous Acid.   Whatever that means.  A systemic fungicide that's safe on edibles sounds too good to be true.  Which generally means it ain't true.  :P

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
MangomanDan, I wanted to say Thanks for letting me know Lake Worth HD had the Organocide Plant doctor, with this info I called around but HD would NOT  transfer it to my local store ( due to being in a different district  :o
I did however find a HD about an hour away that had it and talked hubby into a short road trip and picked it up. Might be too late for my Glenn but its worth a try and I can always use it on my Lychee as well as the ingredients are the same as the product recommended by Lycheesonline website (Phyto fos).

BTW Dan, do you see any improvements on the ones you treated...does it look like its working?

Thanks also to Har for suggesting this product.

Nancy

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 11:30:56 PM »
Nancy, the later blooms on Rosigold did set fruit much better. I think the Plant Doctor stuff probably helped.  After some members started discussing powdery mildew, I took another look at Rosi.  It did look like mildew, something I hadn't thought about because of the wet weather.

I've sprayed several times on all the trees now, and hoping for the best.   My Neelam looks somewhat better too.  Last year all the fruit on Neelam mummified when the size of a golf ball.

Somewhere on the web I saw a warning not to spray Plant Doctor too soon after  or too soon before   spraying with copper.   I had been planning to alternate,  now I'm not so sure.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »
Thanks Dan, I won't be using Copper anymore either since the Plant Doctor is suppose to take care of Anthracnose as well and I don't want to over do it with different sprays. I'm going to spray every 14 days like it says on the label until fruit set and once a month for a couple of months then stop once they get a little larger than golf size. I'll be lucky to get a few fruits on my inground Glenn this year...I treated it too late I think...but I want to at least taste ONE since its the first year this tree has made it through the freeze in 5 years! 

Glad to hear there seems to be some improvement on your blooms...Good luck to us!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk