Author Topic: Tropical fruit's that can be grown in Pot's  (Read 17247 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Tropical fruit's that can be grown in Pot's
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:11:54 AM »
Hi to all :),

I wanted to know what type's of Sub to tropical fruit's that can be grown in large pot?

I'm currently growing a 5 year old Jabuticaba in a 25gal pot and some citrus tree's! This year I going to Plant Grumichama, White-Fleshed Guava's, Acerola and Black Surinam cherries in large pot's

Lan-late Bahia Orange

I'm doing some reseach on this matter!

Here's a list of fruit's that I have found so far!!!
Condo mangoes- http://collier.ifas.ufl.edu/CommHort/CommHortPubs/Condo%20Mangos.pdf
Dragon fruit or pitaya
Lychee
Various Eugenia species, Surinam cherry, Pitangatuba, Grumichama, Rio Grande Cherry...
longan
Kei apple
Natal plum
Miracle fruit
Guava
Acerola
Sugar apple-Annona squamosa
Imbe
Papaya
Abiu
Dwarf ambarella-spondias dulcis
Pineapple's
Sapodilla
Soursop
Biriba
Yellow Jabuticaba or Cabeludinha...

I also wanted to know whose growing what in pot's and the cultural practices watering, Fertilization, Pruning...etc

Any imput is really much appreciated!!! So spill the beans ;D ;D ;D

Regards
Steven

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Tropical fruit's that can be grown in Pot's
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »
Here is the link to a presentation I gave about container culture, and species I recommend.

I  grow many plants in pots, of many types.  I never plant in ground.

BTW, you must join yahoo group to view presentation.

Hope you enjoy!

Quote from: Anikulapo link=topic=37.msg686#msg686 date=

I don't know if you have to be a member of yahoo group to join, but here is a link to a presentation I gave about container culture that you might enjoy!  Hope you can access it please let me know!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TFCCF/photos/album/0/list

Adam Shafran
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:32:47 PM by Anikulapo »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:06:29 PM »
Hi Adam,

Your Pot Culture Presentation was Absolutely Fantastic!!!

The Jabuticaba Pics BLEW MY MIND!!! :) :) :)

Thank's 4 sharing the Presentation!, You really inspired me to seriously give pot culture a try!!!

Regards

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 07:29:37 PM »

Excellent!  That makes my day when i hear that!  Maybe stop by my garden and see and taste some stuff this year!  I'm near Orlando.

Thanks for kind words and inspiration to keep taking pics and speaking to groups who are interested in fruit trees!

All the best,

Adam
Hi Adam,

Thank's 4 sharing the Presentation!, You really inspired me to seriously give pot culture a try!!!

Regards
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »
Anikulapo,
My cousin Silva is located in Madeira Island!  Great guy, my buddy Steven Silva (all Silvas are related...ahhaahahahahahah)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 09:50:39 PM »
Anikulapo,
My cousin Silva is located in Madeira Island!  Great guy, my buddy Steven Silva (all Silvas are related...ahhaahahahahahah)

thats why I liked him from the get go!  Amazing you can tell who is a great guy when you meet them , even on the web! ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 12:33:54 AM »
Adam,

I just joined the Yahoo group TFCCF. How do I access the presentation that is referred to above?'
Thanks,

Trung

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 12:55:19 AM »
Click the link below that I provided in an earlier post!  Or once you join look I the photo albums you should find it there!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 02:49:43 AM »
Doing a lot of experimenting on fruit trees in containers. I have a similar setup where I grow all my fruit trees in containers. I have been trying to figure out which fruits are high yield producers in a container compared to in ground.

So far what I gathered;

Fruiting cactus seem to do very well in a container environment. Cereus, Opuntia, Dragon Fruit, etc. I believe this has to do with large water/nutrient storage capacity of cactus cladodes.

Foliar spray seems to work out a lot better for nutrient delivery rather then root drench. This makes sense, since the root zone is restricted and leaves stomata are more efficient.

Water quality has a big effect in a container environment. Water with a high ph or excess salts/minerals can cause issues in a container plant quickly.

Soil mix is one of the most important elements to healthy fast growing trees. Fast draining ,with good aeration, and a decent amount of water retention are the main goals.

Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 07:20:59 AM »

Excellent!  That makes my day when i hear that!  Maybe stop by my garden and see and taste some stuff this year!  I'm near Orlando.

Thanks for kind words and inspiration to keep taking pics and speaking to groups who are interested in fruit trees!

All the best,

Adam
Hi Adam,

Regards

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the Invitation!!! :)  Maybe, This year I will stop by your Paradise ;D ;D ;D

If anybody is Interested in Pot Culture!, I highly recommend Adam's Pot Culture Presentation!!! It's top Quality and full of INFO. ;D ;D ;D
Keep up the GOOD WORK!!! ;)

Steven
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 07:45:47 AM »
Anikulapo,

Hi Berto,

You right, The Silvas are all related, ;D ;D ;D,
Your also a GREAT FRIEND!!!! :)

Um Forte Abraco, Daqui da Ilha da Madeira!!! :) :)
Steven
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 08:01:08 AM »
Anikulapo,

thats why I liked him from the get go!  Amazing you can tell who is a great guy when you meet them , even on the web! ;D

Thanks for the Kind Word's  ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »
The Soil that I use for pot media is a mixture of several natural component's!!!

I mix Native red soil, Compost, Manure and leaf litter!

Compost: Carbon- Dried Avocado leaves, bamboo... (Anything brown and dry)
               Nitrogen-Fresh Manure(Chicken and Cow) Green Acacia leaves,weeds,Banana leaves, left over vegetables and fruit's....(Anything frash and Green)
               Oxygen and water
               And the most Important is turning the pile! In about 90 day the heat of pile will drop!!! Then the worms will do the rest of the work!

The Manure must be well decomposed(Before you use it) by it's self or with the help of worms!

Here's my helper's in the compost business!

The General

And the Soldiers

Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 09:32:09 AM »
Doing a lot of experimenting on fruit trees in containers. I have a similar setup where I grow all my fruit trees in containers. I have been trying to figure out which fruits are high yield producers in a container compared to in ground.

So far what I gathered;

Fruiting cactus seem to do very well in a container environment. Cereus, Opuntia, Dragon Fruit, etc. I believe this has to do with large water/nutrient storage capacity of cactus cladodes.

Foliar spray seems to work out a lot better for nutrient delivery rather then root drench. This makes sense, since the root zone is restricted and leaves stomata are more efficient.

Water quality has a big effect in a container environment. Water with a high ph or excess salts/minerals can cause issues in a container plant quickly.

Soil mix is one of the most important elements to healthy fast growing trees. Fast draining ,with good aeration, and a decent amount of water retention are the main goals.

Hi Nullzero,

I totally agree with you! But, Bare in mind! Cactuses want a well drainable soil and very little fertilizer!, Because some are very slow growing.

I get my Water from Rain or from the Irrigation Channel, That bring's fresh water from the Mountain's! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levada
I only use tape water as a last resort!

Foliar spay is excelent! If you also have a White Fly problem you can drench soil with Worm casting's or as a foliar spray! It's work's wonder for me! Here, It's difficult to get a proper foliar spray for the tree's! So I make compost tea and Worm casting tea for the young plant's!

Thanks for you imput! ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »
What water are you using?
Thanks,

So far what I gathered;

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »
Thanks,

So far what I gathered;

Tap water, but a large portion of it comes from the Colorado River. Its a blend of the local reservoir and the Colorado River. Colorado river water is know to have a high ph and higher salinity amount.

Water retention amount I change depending on the plant. A lychee and jaboticaba would be on the high end of the scale with more organic material and water retention. Where as a cactus like Opuntia would be on the lower end. However, I am planning on doing some experiments with grafting cactus onto Hylocereus and Opuntia monacantha to improve root rot resistance and vigor.

Cactus don't mind a organic foliar spray, it only makes them grow faster. I plan to continue a once every 2 week foliar spray on the cacti.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:50:02 PM by nullzero »

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 01:25:29 PM »
Thanks,

So far what I gathered;

Tap water, but a large portion of it comes from the Colorado River. Its a blend of the local reservoir and the Colorado River. Colorado river water is know to have a high ph and higher salinity amount.

Water retention amount I change depending on the plant. A lychee and jaboticaba would be on the high end of the scale with more organic material and water retention. Where as a cactus like Opuntia would be on the lower end. However, I am planning on doing some experiments with grafting cactus onto Hylocereus and Opuntia monacantha to improve root rot resistance and vigor.

Cactus don't mind a organic foliar spray, it only makes them grow faster. I plan to continue a once every 2 week foliar spray on the cacti.

Nullzero

I used a close relative of the pitaya's as a rootstock for the Yellow Pitaya!  It was successfull!
Here's some pic's

Keep me updated on your experiment :)

Regards
Steven
Time is like a river.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 02:03:32 PM »
Jack,

Nice job, I found a lot of good grafting cactus info here;
http://www.kadasgarden.com/Ccultivation.html

Anyway back to topic  :P, regarding soil mixes what container mix does everyone use?

I have been using a mix of 5 parts smaller pine bark, 1 part peatmoss, 1 part perlite. It works well and has great drainage. I am however using non decomposed pine bark, I have heard of the nitrogen lock up, however I have not encountered any issues. I keep a fairly regular fertilizer schedule that should counter any nitrogen lockup. I figured the soil mix will last a good 2 years or so before breaking down since the pine bark is non decomposed.

In between big soil batches, I tend to use the Supersoil red bag cactus/palm container mix. This soil has no sewer sludge good drainage and does well with most plants I mix into it. I make sure to put a nice layer of pine bark mulch down as well.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:09:59 PM by nullzero »

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 06:17:31 AM »
Here's some pics of the seedling's that I will use for the Pot culture!!!

Grumichama

One of my Jabuticaba seedling's

Natal Plum

Kei Apple

What Observed at the Botanical Garden!  There is only one mature Kei apple tree and it's producing very well! But, I said to my self, This is impossible!, they need both sexes to produce fruit! On further research I found out that it's possible to find an Indivitual that has both Male and Female flower! I hope that the seedling's inherit the gene's of this mother plant!

White-fleshed Guava

Time is like a river.

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 09:43:57 PM »
IMHO, the key to most containerized plantings is to limit the water table in the pots by keeping the particle size large.  That is why soil and compost are generally not recommended. The smaller the particle size, the higher the water table.  The small particle size leads to a water table in the pot.  Some plants (jaboticaba) will tolerate that, but many will not.

I generally use with a large particle mix which has as it's macroparticles 4 parts pine bark fines, one part perlite; for plants that like sharper drainage, turkey grit is added in ~two parts.  I have started adding Turface in 2 parts to all of the other mixes.  I can't say enough good things about Turface.  It holds it's weight in water, and it doesn't break down.  You can grow plants in straight Turface if you want.

Here in MO I've fruited, Surinam Cherry, bananas, lychee, various citrus, dragonfruit, jaboticaba, sugar apple, different guavas, mangoes, and I grow several others expectantly...   ;)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 10:09:41 PM »
Nice looking Jaboticaba seedling, Steven.  I wish my seedlings look that well formed, did you pinch its tip?
Tim

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 10:41:27 PM »
IMHO, the key to most containerized plantings is to limit the water table in the pots by keeping the particle size large.  That is why soil and compost are generally not recommended. The smaller the particle size, the higher the water table.  The small particle size leads to a water table in the pot.  Some plants (jaboticaba) will tolerate that, but many will not.

I generally use with a large particle mix which has as it's macroparticles 4 parts pine bark fines, one part perlite; for plants that like sharper drainage, turkey grit is added in ~two parts.  I have started adding Turface in 2 parts to all of the other mixes.  I can't say enough good things about Turface.  It holds it's weight in water, and it doesn't break down.  You can grow plants in straight Turface if you want.

Here in MO I've fruited, Surinam Cherry, bananas, lychee, various citrus, dragonfruit, jaboticaba, sugar apple, different guavas, mangoes, and I grow several others expectantly...   ;)

I'm testing out Al's gritty mix with a bare root Shinseiki pear. It was no fun sifting the Turface, so I don't think I did it as exacting as he specified, but close enough I hope. It's interesting that you mention growing in just Turface. As soon as the Shinseiki leafs out, I plan on using just Foliage Pro 9-3-6 as fertilizer. If it was growing in just Turface, how would you fertilize it? Thanks,

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 11:43:04 AM »
Nice looking Jaboticaba seedling, Steven.  I wish my seedlings look that well formed, did you pinch its tip?

Hi Tim,

No, I only train them to grow upwards with Bamboo stick's! I don't know why but my seedling's away's droop down!!! The large seedling also was like that! So I put 4 rebar steel rods tied inside the pot and wire that criss crosses the pot! This way I can Tie the branches more easily and shape the tree as I desire!

More Jabuticaba seedling's

Rebar and wire

The Tree look's Fantastic in Summer!
Time is like a river.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 02:56:29 PM »
Here is something pictures of successful container plants, that I have going.

'Dwarf Orinoco' banana, in a 30 gal plastic barrel. I get these barrels for free from the car wash, they were holding biodegradable soaps. I panted them black to heat up the root zone in the cooler months. Soil mix is mostly pine bark with perlite, some peat with a tad of compost.

'Jewel' Blueberry, 5part pine bark, 1 part peat, 1 part perlite.. this mix works well for me even with non composted pine bark. Blueberry loves the acidic nature of pine bark and peat. I usually have struggling plants because of high PH tap water, not the case with this soil mix.

Wax Jambu, flushing new growth and doing well in 15 gal container with 5/1/1 mix. Wax jambu has great tolerance for heat/dry weather (once it got adapted) for a subtropical fruit. I could see Wax Jambu performing well in AZ and CA desert locations, as long as its water requirements are met. The waxy leaves must be excellent at preventing excess moisture loss.

Kishu mandarin, in a fabric container. I have been phasing out some of the containers in the place of fabric ones. However, I have been wary to put water loving plants like jaboticaba and lychee in. Been using mainly pomegranates, citrus, and cactus. Any plant that can go a few days with drier roots. So far I have seen good results, the Kishu has grown nicely since its transplant.

I have also been testing the root pruning container with 'Ewais' mango, to early to say if I notice a big difference in growth. It is currently flushing atm, I also have a feeling its root system is doing very well in a 5/1/1 mix. Will post a picture later perhaps.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 05:07:59 PM »
Here is something pictures of successful container plants, that I have going.

'Dwarf Orinoco' banana, in a 30 gal plastic barrel. I get these barrels for free from the car wash, they were holding biodegradable soaps. I panted them black to heat up the root zone in the cooler months. Soil mix is mostly pine bark with perlite, some peat with a tad of compost.

'Jewel' Blueberry, 5part pine bark, 1 part peat, 1 part perlite.. this mix works well for me even with non composted pine bark. Blueberry loves the acidic nature of pine bark and peat. I usually have struggling plants because of high PH tap water, not the case with this soil mix.

Wax Jambu, flushing new growth and doing well in 15 gal container with 5/1/1 mix. Wax jambu has great tolerance for heat/dry weather (once it got adapted) for a subtropical fruit. I could see Wax Jambu performing well in AZ and CA desert locations, as long as its water requirements are met. The waxy leaves must be excellent at preventing excess moisture loss.

Kishu mandarin, in a fabric container. I have been phasing out some of the containers in the place of fabric ones. However, I have been wary to put water loving plants like jaboticaba and lychee in. Been using mainly pomegranates, citrus, and cactus. Any plant that can go a few days with drier roots. So far I have seen good results, the Kishu has grown nicely since its transplant.

I have also been testing the root pruning container with 'Ewais' mango, to early to say if I notice a big difference in growth. It is currently flushing atm, I also have a feeling its root system is doing very well in a 5/1/1 mix. Will post a picture later perhaps.

Hi Nullzero,
Your Plant's look very healthy! You know what you are doing ;D ;D ;D

Here, I get the 25gal pot's for free!!! The construction worker use them for carrying cement, sea sand...etc! So, When they are thrown away I fix them and paint! These pots are black, which I must paint them with a white paint! Because the root's will over-heat!!! As you know Dark colour absorb the heat faster that light colour's!!!

I also got Blue berries, But in the Ground!!! Very clever of you, using a Dwarf variety of Banana for the pot Culture!!!
By the Way, the Wax Jumbu and the mandarin tree look's AWESOME!!! :) Is the Kishu Mandarin a Dwarf var. ?

There is 2 Wax Jambu tree's here!, One is near by the International Airport in Santa Cruz and the other one is in the Botanicle garden! They are very prolific bearer's here! they are not my Favorite fruit! but, Very exotic!!! The fruit that I have tasted here was pleasant and it has a rose watery Flavor to them!!! They are seedless so I cannot propagate them this way!!! The only way is to grow them from Cutting's or employ a close related species of the Syzygium Genus, Like the Malay Apple-Syzygium malaccense or Rose apple S. Jambos Which do extremely well here!!! I really suprised that a Malay apple that is native to Malaysia, Sumatra and Java takes the Subtropics very well!!! It has a minor defoliation Problem!!!  Last year, I ate a bunch of them and they tasted like a pear with a mild Flavor!  Not very sweet! the Rose apple smelled like incense! this put me off! But, I got a small seedling and it's cold tolerant too!!! BTW, What var. or colour is your Wax Jumbu?

The ''Ewais mango'' sound's familiar! I think there was A tread On G. web! and it's from Egypt! I have to do some research on this Mango!!!
What's the Flavor like?

Here's some Pic's!!!
I was so stupid! I should have taken pic's of the tree When It was in full bloom and the Fruit's Of course!!! But, This year I will do it for sure!!!

Time is like a river.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk