Author Topic: Tropical fruit's that can be grown in Pot's  (Read 17267 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical fruit's that can be grown in Pot's
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 06:01:12 PM »
Hi Nullzero,
Your Plant's look very healthy! You know what you are doing

Jack,

Thanks, I try to keep them happy. Its been a long learning process to growing healthy productive plants, seems like I am heading in the right direction.

Kishu mandarin is grafted on a dwarfing rootstock from http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com. I can't wait to try the fruit out, I just have to watch out for varmints taking them.

The Wax Jambu is a red variety, grown from seedling. I am hoping it flowers and fruits soon, so I can try the fruit. I may have fruit production in another year or so, it sure is putting on some good growth right now. BTW, nice Wax Jambu trees... they are sure a beautiful tree especially laden in colorful fruit!

Correct the 'Ewais' mango was a Egyptian variety. I am hoping it performs well during the hot and dry summers we have here. I hear the taste is very good, yield is good too. I will report back when I eventually get fruit, maybe in 1-2 years.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 01:12:15 PM »
Hi Nullzero,
Your Plant's look very healthy! You know what you are doing

Jack,

Thanks, I try to keep them happy. Its been a long learning process to growing healthy productive plants, seems like I am heading in the right direction.

Kishu mandarin is grafted on a dwarfing rootstock from http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com. I can't wait to try the fruit out, I just have to watch out for varmints taking them.

The Wax Jambu is a red variety, grown from seedling. I am hoping it flowers and fruits soon, so I can try the fruit. I may have fruit production in another year or so, it sure is putting on some good growth right now. BTW, nice Wax Jambu trees... they are sure a beautiful tree especially laden in colorful fruit!

Correct the 'Ewais' mango was a Egyptian variety. I am hoping it performs well during the hot and dry summers we have here. I hear the taste is very good, yield is good too. I will report back when I eventually get fruit, maybe in 1-2 years.

Nullzero,
I have done some research on kishu Mandarin and I also viewed the link you posted! The variety you choose is excellent!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
The fruit is similar to the Naartjie from South Africa!!! Easy to peel, seedless, and very delicious!!!! Basically, This variety is Satsuma mandarin or Cold hardy Mandarin- Citrus unshiu which is a seedless and easy-peeling citrus species! That's a keeper!!! ;D ;D ;D
You definitely went the extra mile in getting the tree on a Dwarf rootstock! Good Work!!! ;D ;D ;D

I got 3 Citrus Varieties!, Lan-late Bahia, Eureka lemon and a Sanguinelli Blood orange in pot's!, All of them are on Citrange carrizo rootstock!
the only problem with this rootstock is that it's not compatible with the Eureka lemon!, Which I did'nt know at the time! :(

Variedade e Clone - Variety and Clone
Porta enxerto - Rootstock and Clone

Eureka Lemon

This year I will plant the Eureka and the Blood orange! The reason why I want to Plant them In Pot's is because of the pest will makes the tree decline in health! We got Sooty mold with the help of the Aphids and we also got Leave miner's here! with the Pot Culture, I will be able to look after the tree much better!

With a bit of Patience your Wax Jambu will produce for you!!! And when they start to Produce you won't know what to do with surplus of Fruit's!!! ;D ;D ;D  Oh, I forgot to tell you! they are a Pink var.

The Pic I saw of the ''Ewais mango'' in the net look's like a Glenn mango! Not sure if it's right!!!! Not much info on this Mango!
 My Climate is also dry and hot in summer!!!
BTW, My Tommy Atkin's mango is flowering at the moment!  This year I hope I get some fruit's! I know that this var. is not the best in the World!!! But, I like them very much!! :) :) :)

BTW, That tree in the pic's is a Malay Apple! I did say what it was! Sorry my mistake!!!

Regards
Steven

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 02:43:57 PM »
Jackwhisperer,

do you fruit canistel yet? or Ross sapote?

They are great in pots,and fruit in about 5-7yrs from seed..I have one that flowered in 4yrs, but hasn't set fruit yet...maybe this year!  My grafted ross sapote fruited quickly in a 10 gal pot (approx..lol Lycheeluva ;))

Grow this one if you dont already, you'll be happy you did...the longer you wait, the less fruit you get to eat in your life!

:( :) ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 03:25:21 PM »
This is good to know!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 10:05:02 AM »
Hi Anikulapo,

I need advise on the Jabuticaba which I want to repot!

I have about 4in. pot space, from the soil line till the tip of the pot!
What I would like to do is to remove the tree, then to refill the space with some fresh rich soil!

Which method of removing the tree from the pot is less stressful for the Jabo's

Any suggestions on this matter?
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 11:04:38 AM »
Lay the pot down, slide out the tree.

If the root ball is well formed, and soil isn't falling apart, it will be a different process.

If the  root ball is falling apart, with not enough roots formed, be very careful with the tree, not to harm the root system...keep it all in one piece at all costs.  Don't ever agitate or loosen soil, if roots aren't well formed.

Make sure to measure height of plant roots in pot, so you don't repot too high...

put soil in bottoms of pot to desired height (make sure to break up any chunks)

Put plant back in pot, on top of soil...if the roots are tightly bound, gently agitate the top and sides of the rootball, loosening soil gently...don't loosen more than about an inch or so of soil.

Refill with new soil, all the way around the sides of root ball, filling pot all the way.

Push down hard on soil with your hands, all the way around perimeter of pot, careful not to mash roots, only stuff soil in pot.  You will notice this practice makes the pot expand in diameter, allowing for more soil in a smaller pot, and decreasing air pockets, while increasing ultimate size attained by root structure in the limited space of a container.

Finally, gently water, heavy...and make sure all soil is even, and air pockets in the soil.

I always push down with my palms quite hard, to mash all of the soil and roots flat, after watering you'll notice things settle a bit.

Drench with micro nutrients! Like Turfpro, (organic micro-nutrient) or Turfpro Iron Forumula (Organic chelated Fe drench)

Good luck!

I'm sure there's more than a few ways to properly repot a plant!

Hi Anikulapo,

I need advise on the Jabuticaba which I want to repot!

I have about 4in. pot space, from the soil line till the tip of the pot!
What I would like to do is to remove the tree, then to refill the space with some fresh rich soil!

Which method of removing the tree from the pot is less stressful for the Jabo's

Any suggestions on this matter?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
Hi Adam ;D,
I'm going to repot the Jabo this week!!!

Your suggestion's are top Quality!!!! I will follow your advice!!!

Thanks a million ;D ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 04:11:22 PM »
do you guys ever repot when the tree's blooming or fruiting?  Or wait until winter or dormant?
just bought some 3 gal. mango trees that are blooming already, but i noticed the trunk's a bit too thick in such a tiny container.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 04:12:49 PM »
Jack,

Yeah I did a good amount of research before settling for Kishu mandarin. I am hoping the fruit tastes excellent. Nice selection of citrus you have, now its time to get a good mandarin :).

Here is a mango picture chart with the Ewais on it;
http://www.hawaiifruit.net/mangodraft6tp.pdf

BTW;
Anyone else using or testing out air pruning containers like superoots, and other air pruning containers?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 04:14:17 PM »
do you guys ever repot when the tree's blooming or fruiting?  Or wait until winter or dormant?
just bought some 3 gal. mango trees that are blooming already, but i noticed the trunk's a bit too thick in such a tiny container.

I always wait until the tree or dormant or not flushing growth. Winter time is a good time to do this, the lack of heat also ensures that the rootzone does not over heat and die from hot air and UV rays.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »

Hi Charlie23,

Welcome to the Forum! ;D ;D ;D

Nullzero is correct!!! Plant a tree when it's dorment!

I also bought a mango with very thick trunk and in a very small pot!!! When I removed the mango tree, It's was rootbound!!! :( :( :(
The first year I planted the tree it flowered very well!!!  But, I did'nt let it to produce! I want the tree to grow strong and healthy before it give's me some fruit!!!

BTW, What variety of Mango did you get?
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
Jack,

Yeah I did a good amount of research before settling for Kishu mandarin. I am hoping the fruit tastes excellent. Nice selection of citrus you have, now its time to get a good mandarin :).

Here is a mango picture chart with the Ewais on it;
http://www.hawaiifruit.net/mangodraft6tp.pdf

BTW;
Anyone else using or testing out air pruning containers like superoots, and other air pruning containers?

Nullzero,

Yeah, I think your right!! ;D ;D ;D But, I will wait for Christmas this year! Because, the supermarket in Madeira shopping sell's all types of Citrus and Temperate fruit trees like Cherries, Plum's, Apple's, Peaches... and some Berries like Raspberries, Blackberries...etc at very low prices!!! Which is Awesome ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the PDF Doc!!! The ''Ewais Mango'' almost look's like the Glenn Mango!

I got to CONFESS! :D, Seeing all those Mangoes made me Hungry ;D ;D ;D

Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 05:48:59 PM »
Hi Adam :),
I repotted the Jabuticaba Yesterday! :) I thaught it was going to be difficult!!! Buy, It was a piece of cake ;D ;D ;D Thanks for the advice :)

The tree look's FANTASTIC now ;D ;D ;D

Time is like a river.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk