Author Topic: WHAT kind I do with this mature Ume plum tree?  (Read 1349 times)

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
WHAT kind I do with this mature Ume plum tree?
« on: October 07, 2017, 05:51:17 PM »
We have this mature ume plum tree. Fruits like crazy but we just don’t have a use for ume plums.  My mom used to make umeboshi with them.

I don’t even want it to be removed due to the age and size of it. Could I top work it down and graft it then? i thought maybe with all the expert grafters here on the forum that someone could give me an idea of what i can do with a tree this size.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 05:53:28 PM by arc310 »

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT kind I do with this mature Ume plum tree?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 08:07:54 PM »
Prunus mume is actually closely related to apricot. Im not sure about all cultivars but bulida is a definite success.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 01:51:13 AM »
Yes, top work it and graft on the varieties you like to eat.

Are the mume fruits good? Maybe consider bringing cuttings to your local scion exchange where you can pick up other varieties of stone fruits. These happen in mid-Jan/Feb around LA.

You actually missed a pretty good graywater presentation this morning at the arboretum in Arcadia.

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 02:20:44 AM »
Yes, top work it and graft on the varieties you like to eat.

Are the mume fruits good? Maybe consider bringing cuttings to your local scion exchange where you can pick up other varieties of stone fruits. These happen in mid-Jan/Feb around LA.

You actually missed a pretty good graywater presentation this morning at the arboretum in Arcadia.

was the presentation part of the crfg? i'll have to pay more attention to the events then.

the ume plums i don't think you can just eat them. they're mostly used to make umeboshi....lots of pickling involved. i rather have something edible and i can't imagine removing the tree.

local scion exchange...is that also part of crfg?

another question....going with the grafting idea...i assume i could cut the branches down almost to the trunk and then graft whatever variety i'm looking at from that point on?

Bill Blevins

• Fredericksburg, VA Zone 7
    • View Profile
    • PlantsMap.com
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 04:09:05 PM »
If the tree in your photos is a Prunus mume, you can prune it significantly without harming the tree.

Do that either right after the flowering period in the late winter or in the late Fall after the leaves drop and when the tree is dormant if you don't care about seeing the flowers.

These are often grown for the flowers rather than the fruit, so most people prune after the flowering period but these people aren't usually trying to collection scion wood so I'm not sure of the proper time if you want to graft what you cut.

Some cultivars are popular for bonsai.

Prunus mume grows quite fast and some cultivars will put on as much as 5-7 feet per year for the first few years. Prune back 2/3 of the new growth (after it flowers if you are into seeing those) and it should be fully leafed out again by mid-summer.

I just lost a 3 year old tree that had been growing nicely. I think it was a soil / root problem combined with August heat last year and probably lack of watering. It died very quickly.

I now have 5 different cultivars that I grew in pots for the past couple of years and they are still small. I just planted them in the yard last fall so I have not seen them bloom yet in their new locations, but they are full of buds. I believe that all of them were grafts. None have fruited yet. I think I remember that they take about 4 years to start producing fruit.

I have not met anyone who says the fruit from Prunus mume tastes good.

We'll see.

Bill Blevins
PlantsMap.com
--
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:29:26 PM by Bill Blevins »
Bill Blevins
PlantsMap.com
--