Author Topic: Has anyone tasted Araticum de Guaratinguetá (Annona Dolabrip)?  (Read 4609 times)

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Has anyone tasted Araticum de Guaratinguetá (Annona Dolabrip)?
« on: January 03, 2013, 02:33:49 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone know if Araticum De Guaratinguetá (Annona Dolabrip) is good-tasting? Would you recommend this plant?

Thanks,
Jaime

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tasted Araticum de Guaratinguetá (Annona Dolabrip)?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:49:45 PM »
Hi Jaime,
I have not tasted the fruit! :( Though, This fruit tree looks truly awesome and is quite cold tolerant too, which is a definite plus 8)
Annona DOLABRIPETALA
FAMILY OF Annonaceae
FLOWERS

RIPE FRUIT

CLASSIFICATION AND MEANING: Araticum Guaratinguetá comes from the Tupi and means "fruit of soft pulp." Also called Yellow Araticum of the Atlantic forest.

NOTES: The old name Rollinia longifolia is valid only as synonymy.

Origin: It is natural formations of secondary forests and montane rainforest. The plant is from the Espírito Santo to São Paulo. More information on

Features: Tree of 4 to 6 meters tall, with dark gray trunk of measuring 10 25 cm in diameter. The new branches are villosos (covered with short hairs and dense) and the veins of the leaves are ferrugineas (deferrugem has color) and pubescent. The leaves are simple, oblong (Longer than wide) to lanceolate, measuring 5 to 13 cm long and 1.5 3.2 cm wide, with base obtuse (rounded) and apex or acuminate tip or tuned. The flowers are greenish, axillary and has helix with three petals and pubescent green (covered by) shaped wings with nectaries located at the base of the petals. The fruits are sincárpios (union of several segments, with or without seeds) 2 4 cm in diameter, with shell divided light yellow when ripe with white aft and many seeds of 4 to 5 mm in length.

Tips for farming: Plant subtropical climate, more resistant to colder climates where frost occurs up - third degree, can be grown throughout Brazil, at any altitude; adapts well to clay soils that are deep red, with acidic to neutral pH with good amount of dissolved organic matter. Can be planted up in the mountains where there is rapid drainage of rainwater.

Seedlings: Seeds are light brown half flattened. May be stored in a dark retain germination for up to one year. When grown once harvested, germinate into 40 90 days. The seedlings reach 30 cm with 7 8 months old, more appreciate shaded environment for training. Fruiting starts with 3 the 4 years, depending on soil and crop treatment.

Planting: Can be planted in full sun or in reforestation mixed, they produce edible fruit for wildlife in general. On orchard plant is a spacing of 5 x 5 m Where the holes must be 50 cm width, height and depth, should be filled with 20% sand and about 8 kg organic compost and manure, if the soil is too acid is good putting 2 kg limestone cave in and enjoy leave for 3 months before planting. Irrigate with 10 l of water per week for the first 2 months.

Cultivating: Making only pruning of the crown and eliminate the branches that arise within the trunk or base which intersect into the cup. Fertilize with compost, can be 5 kg poultry litter and well tanned + 50 g of NPK 10-10-10 doubling that amount every year until the 2nd year and continue fertilizing annually in the spring. Remember to distribute the fertilizer on crown projection with equal distance from the trunk circumference of it.

Uses: Fruits in April-May. The fruits are sweet pulp and pulp needs to be removed by sucking it and scraping the seeds with his teeth.

http://translate.google.pt/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/annonadolabri.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Daraticum%2Bde%2Bguaratingueta%26hl%3Den%26tbo%3Dd%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D685&sa=X&ei=3-jlUNeiJsWAhQeo74HYBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQ7gEwAA

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 05:44:26 PM »
Apparently, there's very little to taste, as the fruits are tiny.
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »
Do you have access to seeds for this plant?
- David Antonio Garcia

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:27:12 PM »
Another waste of time and energy!   Collector's item, just a novelty!
I guess I am getting cynical about growing mediocre fruits!  What is wrong with a juice annona squamosa??

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:10:27 PM »
Berto
Totally agree, sounds like this one has virtually nothing to eat.  The description says "pulp needs to be removed by sucking it and scraping the seeds with your teeth".  Annona squamosa or Atemoya is a much better choice in Florida.

FloridaGreenMan

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »
I agree, go with the regular rollinia. This is like some offering you seeds of their 'special flesh-free rollinia'...

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »

Hi David,

Helton has them for sale:

http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/sementes.htm

Jaime

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 02:39:23 PM »
I guess I am getting cynical about growing mediocre fruits!  What is wrong with a juice annona squamosa??
THERE ARE BASICALLY TWO TYPES OF RARE FRUIT COLLECTORS. aT ONE EXTREME IS WAS BILL WHITMAN WHO WAS ONLY INTERESTED IN GROWING THE BEST OF THE BEST E.G. MANGOSTEEN, DURIAN, DUKU. HE WAS ALWAYS DISAPPOINTED WHEN A SPECIES FRUITED BUT THE FRUIT WAS NOT SUPERIOR E.G. LICANIA

THEN AT THE OTHER EXTREME ARE COLLECTORS LIKE ME WHO WANT ANY SPECIES ANY CULTURE ATE VOLUNTARILY
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
THERE ARE BASICALLY TWO TYPES OF RARE FRUIT COLLECTORS. aT ONE EXTREME IS WAS BILL WHITMAN WHO WAS ONLY INTERESTED IN GROWING THE BEST OF THE BEST E.G. MANGOSTEEN, DURIAN, DUKU. HE WAS ALWAYS DISAPPOINTED WHEN A SPECIES FRUITED BUT THE FRUIT WAS NOT SUPERIOR E.G. LICANIA

THEN AT THE OTHER EXTREME ARE COLLECTORS LIKE ME WHO WANT ANY SPECIES ANY CULTURE ATE VOLUNTARILY

Hi Dr. Recher

I am both...ahahaha ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 08:26:28 PM »
It does sound desirable to me!
Har

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 09:15:54 PM »
Features: Tree of 4 to 6 meters tall, with dark gray trunk of measuring 10 25 cm in diameter. The new branches are villosos (covered with short hairs and dense) and the veins of the leaves are ferrugineas (deferrugem has color) and pubescent. The leaves are simple, oblong (Longer than wide) to lanceolate, measuring 5 to 13 cm long and 1.5 3.2 cm wide, with base obtuse (rounded) and apex or acuminate tip or tuned. The flowers are greenish, axillary and has helix with three petals and pubescent green (covered by) shaped wings with nectaries located at the base of the petals. The fruits are sincárpios (union of several segments, with or without seeds) 2 4 cm in diameter, with shell divided light yellow when ripe with white aft and many seeds of 4 to 5 mm in length.

The original information written in portuguese is that this fruit size is from 2 to 4 centimeters in diameter.  One (1) inch is 2.54 centimeters (this info. is for those of you not familiar with the metric system).   This fruit is not 24 cm in diameter.  By the time, one removes the skin and removes the seeds, not much left to eat.   Rice is a bit smaller than this fruit, and I really enjoy eating rice.  I guess it is a matter of taste and preference!  I will stick with rice, for now! Sticky rice with coconut milk, and sliced mangoes! Thanks to the beautiful people of Thailand.  ;D ;D ;D

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 09:14:11 AM »

Hi David,

Helton has them for sale:

http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/sementes.htm

Jaime

i know that website does, I just do not want to order 5 species
- David Antonio Garcia

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 10:06:53 AM »

You forgot to mention 2 things Recher, you have 80+ acres to play around with. That makes a big difference. I think if Whitman had planted 80 acres he wouldn't have been continuously ripping trees out of which he didn't like the fruit. Also what is price per acre where you live vs. where Whitan lived?  ;) Another very big difference!
Oscar

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
Irrespective of land size, I do believe this is mostly personal preference. I almost bought a home in Hilo with a huge backyard but decided it would never conti=ain my interest. Before buying land, I wanted to grow EVERYTHING I could.

Whitman who can't comment anymore ws 'scathing' about inferior fruits. If he had land hewould not have grown second class fruits but those that he trialed and din't fully appreciate and ripped out of Bal Harbour he would have left in the ground. but rather than grow dovyalis, flacourtia, etc he would have planed more durian, more rambutan
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk