Author Topic: Tenom Horticultural Park Seed Haul  (Read 11309 times)

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Re: Tenom Horticultural Park Seed Haul
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »
Great haul red durian! If i lived in that area i would be in that park every day!! Maybe i'd pitch a tent there.  ;)
How was the taste of Willughbeia agustifolia, Artocarpus rigidus, A elasticus, A. lanceifolius?
W. agustifulia was great.  I ate 3 in a row. The fruit is  tart, sweet, fragrant, with a garcinia texture.  Definitely worth growing if you have something it can climb on.

Tough one to grow in Hawaii as apparently it needs hand pollination and not all too happy in our climate.

For sure, it is not hand pollinated at the Park, but perhaps HI lacks the pollinator?

I know there are 30 types of bats in Sri Lanka, many of them working as pollinators. I'm sure Sabah is nearly identical in bat diversity. So, I really don't think hand pollination would be necessary in my case, just like it is not necessary in Sabah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but some parts of Hawaii might have a "bat problem"?
BTW, I asked one agriculture "expert" about Sri Lankan weevil and its natural enemies, but he wasn't even familiar with that insect. I'll ask few others when I meet them. My guess bats keeping them in check, and it's not an issue ( they can devour 1000 mosquitoes an hour)   Seems like South Florida lacking insect eating bats, and that might be a key difference.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »
Forum members here in Malaysia may find it interesting that I also found some Tropical Amerian fruits ripe at the park:
Suriname cherry (avg quality - must eat super ripe)
Black sapote (great quality)
Canistel (best I have eaten anywhere in the world)
Peanut Butter Fruit (delicious, but only one I have ever eaten)
Myrcia vexator (fruits on ground too old to eat)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 07:04:05 PM »
Did you pick up any of the M vexator seed? I've been searching this part of the world for ages in vain for a reliable fruiting tree with a sharing owner.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 12:15:59 AM »
Did you pick up any of the M vexator seed? I've been searching this part of the world for ages in vain for a reliable fruiting tree with a sharing owner.

I sold 5 this morning and have 10 fruits left, all picked up off the ground.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 12:25:32 AM »
Somehow I managed to ignore Garcinia spicata until today.  I haven't been impressed with this genus,  so perhaps that is how I missed it.  Anyway, tasted it a few minutes ago.  It is nothing like any of the other garinias I have eaten.  It is only mildly acidic.  It is mildly sweet.  The thing that hits you when you eat it is how aromatic it is, like biting into a more intensely flavoured rose apple mixed with a low acid apricot with a denser texture.  The texture is like a persimmon eaten before it goes soft, or like a Mammee americana, but less tough.  Didn't get enough fruit to sell seeds though, as tree only had a few.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 08:48:12 AM »
Great haul red durian! If i lived in that area i would be in that park every day!! Maybe i'd pitch a tent there.  ;)
How was the taste of Willughbeia agustifolia, Artocarpus rigidus, A elasticus, A. lanceifolius?
W. agustifulia was great.  I ate 3 in a row. The fruit is  tart, sweet, fragrant, with a garcinia texture.  Definitely worth growing if you have something it can climb on.

Tough one to grow in Hawaii as apparently it needs hand pollination and not all too happy in our climate.

For sure, it is not hand pollinated at the Park, but perhaps HI lacks the pollinator?

I know there are 30 types of bats in Sri Lanka, many of them working as pollinators. I'm sure Sabah is nearly identical in bat diversity. So, I really don't think hand pollination would be necessary in my case, just like it is not necessary in Sabah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but some parts of Hawaii might have a "bat problem"?
BTW, I asked one agriculture "expert" about Sri Lankan weevil and its natural enemies, but he wasn't even familiar with that insect. I'll ask few others when I meet them. My guess bats keeping them in check, and it's not an issue ( they can devour 1000 mosquitoes an hour)   Seems like South Florida lacking insect eating bats, and that might be a key difference.

Only one native species of bat in Hawaii and they are almost extinct...you very rarely see them.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk