Author Topic: Mango tree leaf tip burn- fertilizer recommendations?  (Read 869 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Mango tree leaf tip burn- fertilizer recommendations?
« on: August 16, 2020, 01:08:20 PM »
My Honey KIss Mango tree has leaf tip burn from the cheap store fertilizer I used. 

The tree is 4 years in the ground and 6’ tall. 

Is osmocote a good alternative?  I was thinking I need to go to something with more slow release nitrogen. 

Thanks
Brad
Brad

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango tree leaf tip burn- fertilizer recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 05:48:15 PM »
Howard Fertilizer down in Immokalee can get you Nutricote Total w/micrros. I have used the 180 day version 8-6-8 on young trees and it is 100% slow release so no chance of burning. I have planted seeds directly over it with no issues. If that is too far you might find another nursery supply.
http://www.arysta-na.com/Nutricote/files/NUT_18-6-8_PIS.pdf

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 10:45:10 PM »
Agree. But just as an information about the leaves at the tip of the branches browning and dying is due to infestation by cicada which has emerged after it's 17 years (prime number) of underground life cycle. 1986 was the worst cicada infestation that I witnessed.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 11:13:21 PM »
I thought the cicada range did not extend into Florida.

Tip burn is often the result of too many chlorides. Cheap fertilizers are often high in chlorides, particularly Potassium Chloride.

It's worth seeking out non-muriate salts of potassium such as SOP or sulfate of potash as it is commonly referred to. These fertilizers tend not to cause tip-burn, which is something you really want to avoid on a mango which can keep leaves for several years.

For slow release nitrogen there are many good sources, in general I would stick to Har's (guanabanus) recommendations.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 06:10:11 PM »
There are thousands of varieties of cicada! My area in Mid-Atlantic states now has that 17 year cicada I was talking about already chirping. In Florida you have swamp, lyric, hieroglyphic and other types of cicada. BUT their characteristic results on tree tips are the same as I mentioned and always nice to know for all home gardeners.
Please note that in my comment I have agreed with the findings of what Bradflorida and Pineislander were pointing out.