Author Topic: Using electrical tape to ensure tight graft union: good idea?  (Read 17540 times)

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Using electrical tape to ensure tight graft union: good idea?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 07:16:37 PM »
I wrap grafts with a wide rubber band material that is special for grafting. I think I got that from Orchard valley supply. They also have bulk rolls of parafilm.
Peter

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 07:29:46 PM »
I'm with Peter, the special rubber bands for grafting are nice to work with. The ones I have used in the past were a little thinner than typical rubber bands so they were easy to pull tight without putting too much strain on small rootstocks.  The way I was taught to use them was to slip the end under a wrap & pull them tight to secure.  It seems like these special grafting bands probably had fine powder applied to them to aide in them slipping when you try to pull them tight like this.

I was not able to locate these anywhere earlier to get them so I have been using regular rubber bands from an office supply store.  The heavier thickness and the lack of powder makes these much harder to work with and I did have problems snapping rootstock when trying to work with very small rootstock material.  I'll have to check out Orchard Valley Supply.

John

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 07:39:37 AM »
Noob Question

Which parafilm should I get ?.
This or

This
Moh'd

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 12:20:23 PM »
I got the laboratory roll, because I couldn't find that other one in the Netherlands. It works fine, I now do all my grafting with it. I cut strips of it, 1cm wide and accross the width of the big roll. First I strech it and wrap it two times, then I wrap it while twisting it (I just keep my hand in the same position and circle around the graft) to apply tight pressure on the graft, and then I come back to the same area, stretch the rest of the tape and wrap the scion in it to seal it. Works great.

lazdoggy

• SoCal 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 12:46:19 PM »
I got the laboratory roll, because I couldn't find that other one in the Netherlands. It works fine, I now do all my grafting with it. I cut strips of it, 1cm wide and accross the width of the big roll. First I strech it and wrap it two times, then I wrap it while twisting it (I just keep my hand in the same position and circle around the graft) to apply tight pressure on the graft, and then I come back to the same area, stretch the rest of the tape and wrap the scion in it to seal it. Works great.

I also use the Parafilm M and it works fine.  I believe it was a bit cheaper than the Parafilm nursery grafting tape when I was looking into it.  Just need to cut it into strips like how Solko described, which might be a hassle for some.
James

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 10:50:33 PM »
I have tried both. I like the nursery parafilm better.

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 12:25:36 AM »
 I have used plumbers teflon tape when I've had nothing else, with great results. I don't unspool and break a length off, I unwind it directly off the spool as I'm winding it onto the graft, and it sticks to itself eliminating tie off knots. I have bought grafted plants with this material still covering the graft, so it appears  it could be left on. There is a yellow heavier gas tape available if the white version is too soft.

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2016, 01:17:41 AM »
What works for me is Buddy Tape (preferred because it breaks less) or Parafilm (the 1/2" wide nursery version) on the first layer to seal the graft, followed by 1/2" white, vinyl tape (A.M. Leonard has it and it's cheap) to apply the pressure in the places that others are using rubber bands.  Very clean when all is said, and done the you can label the free end of the white tape with a permanent marker with the variety grafted and the date.  Those simple labels last for as long as a year or more, but should be replaced with something more permanent when you are positive the graft has taken.

Removing electrical tape sounds like it has the potential for problems.  Buddy Tape, Parafilm, and grafting tape are all readily available on the internet and work great.  The regular old green nursery tape is fine, too, instead of the grafting tape, but is slightly harder to work with than the thinner, white vinyl grafting tape.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2016, 07:11:30 PM »
I'd use the narrower grafting parafilm between the two. They're the same material so get the cheaper one. I don't know why the M (medical?) one is so popular on ebay. Maybe people get them for free from clinics and resell.

Asian plastic wrap is the cheapest and works well for them. It's the same material as the food wrap, just narrower. If you use the M tape by cutting it into narrow strips, you can do the same with food wraps as well. The narrower rolls are just more convenient so I prefer those.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2021, 01:58:10 PM »
I got frusterated with my graft tape becoming loose and now after I put the parafilm on I just use those cheap disposable zip ties to hold it in place.  Works well enough

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2021, 02:51:37 PM »
I use regular old green plant tie to secure the grafts. I learned this from Brad (Spaugh) who uses flagging tape and gosh garn dolly I'm seriously 100% success on all my grafts now.

Thanks Brad for that one

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2021, 04:13:22 PM »
I use regular old green plant tie to secure the grafts. I learned this from Brad (Spaugh) who uses flagging tape and gosh garn dolly I'm seriously 100% success on all my grafts now.

Thanks Brad for that one

Hahahahaha...neither green nursery tape or flagging tape are recommended. 
- Rob

deac777

• USA, Northern, CA USDA Zone10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2021, 12:26:34 AM »
Where do you usually get parafilm tape in America? I Mean supermarket? Drugstore? I haven't seen it here in Mexico, maybe I haven't look in the right place, what is the most common use for it, is designed specially for grafted? I Thought it was similar to the one is use here to wrapped the meat of the fruits in the supermarkets, I bought it and use it,  but it comes very wide so I cut it in long strips,  it worked at some point but it doesn't have the elasticity that I noticed in parafilm while unwrapping some mango scions I received from Florida, so any lead for the kind of stablishment I should look for to get them, thanks!

I purchase my parafilm from eBay. True parafilm is different than food plastic wrap.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2021, 01:16:01 AM »
Rob, I use the 1/2" green stretch tape/nursery tape with all my grafts. Adjust the tension/force based on what fruit tree I'm grafting. Only thing to remember is to remove/cut-unwrap when graft heals up. I'm curious why you say its not recommended, and what would you use instead ? I've done a lot of grafts with it and not seen any real issues with it, except when grafting plumerias. Maybe that's why all my guava grafts fail.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 02:26:21 AM by sc4001992 »

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2021, 01:50:21 AM »
Splicing tape y’all, works great just don’t forget to remove it after your graft has healed.
Nate

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2021, 02:01:23 AM »
Stop being negative Rob its lame.

We are using grafting tape then putting another layer of stronger flagging tape over the graft union to keep the union tight.  It works better than clothes pins or rubber bands.  I get 100% takes since switching to the presco Texas brand tape over the graft joints.  It works so well its amazing to be honest.  Comes off easily too.

Electrical tape is a sticky mess, that is not recommended.

Kaz, I'm going to send you a roll of this stuff, it stretches better than nursery tape, I think you'll like it. 

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 02:18:56 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2021, 02:35:37 AM »

We are using grafting tape then putting another layer of stronger flagging tape over the graft union to keep the union tight.  It works better than clothes pins or rubber bands.  I get 100% takes since switching to the presco Texas brand tape over the graft joints.  It works so well its amazing to be honest.  Comes off easily too.

Kaz, I'm going to send you a roll of this stuff, it stretches better than nursery tape, I think you'll like it.

Bsbullie- What works for you? Would be nice if you gave some good advice, other than the lame “hahahaha” thing that helps no one and sounds like it’s coming from a 10 year old.

Brad, 12 rounds, clean fight, Let’s get ready to rumble! (Buffers voice) In this corner the undefeated heavyweight champion...splicing tape! In the other corner we have a dangerous opponent in flagging tape, fight! No but seriously I think you’ll be into the splicing tape, grab a roll next time you’re at Home Depot. I’m gonna try the flagging tape, if it’s cheaper haha 
Nate

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2021, 02:58:37 AM »
I'm sure splicing tape works fine.  Anything that tightens the graft and comes off easy is ideal.  You could use all kinds of stuff.  Ive done 75+ grafts with no fails yet this year so there's no point in switching though.

The flagging tape they sell at the depot breaks too easy, I got the high end presco stuff that stretches well online.  Got a 12 pack for around 30$ on ebay.  Its magic.
Brad Spaugh

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2021, 02:10:32 PM »
I have just started grafting recently and am using parafilm in general.  But, being a novice at this, there have been a few occasions when I could see daylight and could not get it tight with just the parafilm.  For those stubborn ones, I find these hose clamps work well.  I bought a box with various sizes in it and you just squeeze them until they are just tight enough to hold that space closed.  They are easy to take off by using pliers to shift one wedged side from the other and then they can be used again as needed.

Just an outside the box idea I came up with.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2021, 02:49:57 PM »
I'm certainly not a commercial grower or "experienced" by all means. But I use what has worked for me. Just cheap flagging tape followed up by electrical tape. After 3-4 weeks, I peel the electrical tape off. A couple weeks later, the flagging tape usually stretches off on its own. 20/20 so far this year.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2021, 11:55:28 PM »

Thanks Brad for that one

Hahahahaha...neither green nursery tape or flagging tape are recommended.

You're wrong.

Watch this:

I recommend green nursery tape or flagging tape for grafting because I am getting 100% graft takes with it and it's cheap.  8)

Now they're officially recommended.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2021, 04:12:27 AM »

Thanks and bookmarking. Necessity is the mother of invention. Today's password is Presco.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2021, 03:49:16 PM »
Presco makes a nursery tape as well.  Havent tried it yet but will when the other stuff runs out.  It looks like this is what the local nursery in Fallbrook uses over their grafts.

"Presco Nursery Roll Flagging Tape is a NON-ADHESIVE tape used extensively in the landscape, nursery, and gardening industries. It is the duct tape of the horticultural world."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BCMQRMQ/ref=twister_B07KN3JV3W?th=1
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2021, 03:51:16 PM »
Presco makes a nursery tape as well.  Havent tried it yet but will when the other stuff runs out.  It looks like this is what the local nursery in Fallbrook uses over their grafts.

"Presco Nursery Roll Flagging Tape is a NON-ADHESIVE tape used extensively in the landscape, nursery, and gardening industries. It is the duct tape of the horticultural world."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BCMQRMQ/ref=twister_B07KN3JV3W?th=1

Nice one, just ordered. The nursery tape works well, but if Presco is stretchier I am in.

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2021, 04:42:55 PM »
Would it matter if I saved a buck and got the pink roll instead?