Author Topic: Best tasting Mangos of 2019  (Read 2973 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Best tasting Mangos of 2019
« on: April 21, 2019, 03:49:52 PM »
To continue the annual tradition, please post about your favorite tasting mango varieties for 2019. I see that Chris from Truly Tropical has already started posting videos from this years crop. Here is a link to last years thread.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=28697.0

Last year, one of my favorite tasting mango varieties was Rajapuri grown in India. I purchased these at the local Indian Supermarket and they were fantastic last year. The Mangos were huge and extremely flavorful with a sweet, rich taste throughout the flesh and concentrated Piney, Indian resin flavors closer to the skin of the fruit. What made Rajapuri so exceptional was that it had an indescribable sweet umami flavor that I can only compare to the flavor of Guava.

This year, I picked up a box of Rajapuri and was surprised to see that they had 9 fruit to a box. Last year, there were only 4-6 in an oversized box. This years fruit was significantly smaller. My Mangos were sitting in a warm garage for about a week and some of the fruit started giving off a sweet mango flavor and felt slightly soft so I cut one open.

The flesh color was more yellowish and from the looks alone, I could tell it was underripe. The fruit had Brix readings between 14-16% and were definitely not in their prime of ripeness. The flavor and sweetness were sort of their but definitely not at their best. The early season Indian Mangos(grown in India) tend to be picked early and watered  down so I was not expecting much from them.

This goes to show how drastically Mangos of the same variety can taste so different when you compare early season fruit to mid or late season fruit. Here’s a couple pictures

Simon

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting Mangos of 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 04:41:49 AM »
From back in January.
I was lucky enough to buy some California grown Valencia Pride.

Absolutely zero fiber around the seed husk, which was a first for me for a store bought mango. Though there was one or two long fibers that were closer to the skin running the length of the fruit. Zero internal breakdown and very high sugar. The fruit had an outer appearance of a potato, but inside it tasted like a yellow peach, with a minor coconut nuance toward the end. The best I have had to date aside from a homegrown Maha.
I can't wait to try some homegrown mangoes to really compare.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 05:03:13 AM »
This winter i was lucky to try over 30 Mango varieties and about a dozen Mangifera species. Playlist of Mango tasting videos:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2AyaQ9frDUvKuCPQviG3Pt9BHXA6jKbz

Some very good and many incredibly rare but so far the common Kent Mango from the German Supermarket beats them all😂

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:36:10 AM »
Dwarf Hawaiians have been excellent so far here. Picking up a lot of coconut in their flavor. Getting great feedback on the Rosigolds and early Edward too. Rosa in 4th place but I still enjoy it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:22:59 AM by Squam256 »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 07:46:44 AM »
Rosigolds were surprisingly good. I could eat a ton of them. So happy to have fresh local mangoes.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 12:36:48 PM »
Well I have several younger trees, so for me, it’s whichever trees actually produce fruit. 😉
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce