Author Topic: Effect Of Location On Mango Productivity  (Read 691 times)

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
Effect Of Location On Mango Productivity
« on: June 08, 2020, 09:52:49 PM »
Hey All,

Assuming all other things equal (ie. disease, nutrition, flowering, pollination etc), does anyone know how much of an effect location has on the quality and quantity of mango productivity in Florida? Basically only looking at photo period and total thermal energy.  An example would be, if you grew three identical trees in Homestead, West Palm Beach, and Coco Beach, would you see a significant difference in production between the three trees?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Effect Of Location On Mango Productivity
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 11:15:48 PM »
In Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties and up the east coast as far as mangos will grow I think the location which matters most is proximity to the ocean and its breezes.  That's where you're going to have the healthiest trees and fruit.  So this would mean the highest quality fruit.  I don't know about quantity.
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Effect Of Location On Mango Productivity
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 08:27:58 AM »
I'm certainly no mango expert.

It seems that mango blooms in Florida are mostly triggered by stress from cold weather. As winter temps rise, blooms in the south may diminish.

This may also be variety dependent. Many large trees here in South Miami area did not produce this year, or did not produce well. My smaller Glenn tree produced better than last year, and had 2 crops.

I would be interested to hear about fruiting trends in Alex's trees over the years, having varieties and production correlated with winter temps.