Author Topic: Perennial Madagascar bean AKA seven year Lima bean AKA Christmas lima bean  (Read 13349 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
perennial madagascar bean

This Australian (Byron Bay) video had me very interested. Seems like a great bean for Florida. If anyone has some growing. I would love to get a few beans to plant. Will pay via paypal for any expenses

You could grow a hedge of this stuff or have it grow over a trellis
Thanks!

http://www.echonet.org/content/100difficultConditions/943/perennial_lima_phaseolus_lunatus_seven_year_or_hopi_varieties_
Perennial lima (Phaseolus lunatus; 'Seven year' or 'Hopi' varieties)
Danny Blank writes, "We first came across these beans when Lance Edwards from Zimbabwe reported how he would promote them among families with one or more members having HIV/AIDS. He encouraged planting several seven year lima seeds around homes, where they would grow up the sides of houses and even cover the roofs. Perennial lima varieties, depending on climate and conditions, can produce beans for many years. We grow them successfully as a food producing cover crop during our dry season at ECHO. However, long-term health and production appear better when growing on a trellis of some kind. They are characterized by vigorous growth and wide adaptability with good tolerance to some common insect pests like leafhoppers. We recently heard of some perennial lima types used as food producing ground covers in wet and humid climates. We acquired seed from Central America and will be experimenting with these. The two cultivars we currently offer are best suited for dry climates, but can persist through our intense rainy season, especially if growing on a trellis. It is one of the easier pest-tolerant beans to grow at the ECHO farm." EDN 81-8.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 05:53:57 PM by zands »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Zands,

You can order this from echocommunity, you just need to make an account.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
I have been looking for these for a while as well. When you try to register on the echo site it makes it sound like you need to be part of an organiztion to become a member. Is that not true?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
Zands,

You can order this from echocommunity, you just need to make an account.

ECHO talks about this Madagascar Lima bean but is not selling it at this time. It is not listed in it's beans for sale section. I should phone them up and ask

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
I see the spotted Christmas lima bean around here and I suppose it is the same thing.If it is the same the subtropics is the preferred climate.I have just planted one.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I have been looking for these for a while as well. When you try to register on the echo site it makes it sound like you need to be part of an organiztion to become a member. Is that not true?

I have an account, I am not in an organization. I basically stated in the sign up that, I document plant trials online and share plant information online. You don't need any official organization, just the fact that you help others out with planting advice on the internet around the world is good enough reason  ;D. It also nice to grow out these vegetables/fruits source the seeds and spread them around.

ECHO talks about this Madagascar Lima bean but is not selling it at this time. It is not listed in it's beans for sale section. I should phone them up and ask

Its there I just logged in yesterday into echo community website and viewed the seedbank. You guys are making me want to try this 7yr bean now...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:18:19 PM by nullzero »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile

I have an account, I am not in an organization. I basically stated in the sign up that, I document plant trials online and share plant information online. You don't need any official organization, just the fact that you help others out with planting advice on the internet around the world is good enough reason  ;D. It also nice to grow out these vegetables/fruits source the seeds and spread them around.

Its there I just logged in yesterday into echo community website and viewed the seedbank. You guys are making me want to try this 7yr bean now...

I just signed up. Now it seems I have to sign up for a higher membership @$25 a year to even order these 7-year Lima beans. If you order some could you get me a packet too and I'll reimburse via paypal? They are perennial at Byron Bay Australia which is about same latitude as Miami Florida and I suppose as hot. So probably same perennial (7-year) growth habit. Did you see the video? She has a long perennial hedge of these. Name is Sharon Gibson and teaches permaculture in the Byron Bay area and has her little urban permaculture homestead with even chickens and bees

In California maybe these beans grow 3-4 years before petering out instead of 7....but who knows

Z

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile

I just signed up. Now it seems I have to sign up for a higher membership @$25 a year to even order these 7-year Lima beans. If you order some could you get me a packet too and I'll reimburse via paypal? They are perennial at Byron Bay Australia which is about same latitude as Miami Florida and I suppose as hot. So probably same perennial (7-year) growth habit. Did you see the video? She has a long perennial hedge of these. Name is Sharon Gibson and teaches permaculture in the Byron Bay area and has her little urban permaculture homestead with even chickens and bees

In California maybe these beans grow 3-4 years before petering out instead of 7....but who knows

Z

I can order it, there are others who want to try it. If you guys want a packet we can work out through paypal. I would think you can coax this plant into being healthy and productive for more then 7 years. Container growing and root/foliage pruning it may keep it healthy.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile

I can order it, there are others who want to try it. If you guys want a packet we can work out through paypal. I would think you can coax this plant into being healthy and productive for more then 7 years. Container growing and root/foliage pruning it may keep it healthy.

Thanks! Maybe one or two others are interested.
You are right that you (we) can do better than what is acceptable. On garden web one bush bean grower said his generic bean plant lasted three years and got as thick as his wrist.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:45:18 AM by zands »

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted : Perennial Madagascar bean also called seven year Lima bean
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 08:57:56 PM »
Did you ever order any seeds?  If so I would be interested in any extras that you could spare. Thanks

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 09:10:06 PM »
Did you ever order any seeds?  If so I would be interested in any extras that you could spare. Thanks

No, I did not. I can't order seeds anymore from the other store. They changed the access rights for seeds  :'(.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 05:52:29 AM »

I had an email back and forth with the Australian woman (permaculture teacher in local colleges not too far from Michael T) in the video with the lima bean hedge.
Turns out that they are common, are known in USA as Christmas

Direct from her is >>>>
hi
you can buy these beans from "the rancho gordo store" in the states. they call them christmas beans. there website is www.ranchogordon.com.
it looks like they sell lots of interesting plants.
happy planting

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 07:34:39 AM »
Byron is only 1200 short miles (2000km) down the road and has much milder summers than Miami.My Christmas bean has been pumping out the beans for a while and I have sent some to the US.I posted a pic a while ago.

They are very productive.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »
Byron is only 1200 short miles (2000km) down the road and has much milder summers than Miami.My Christmas bean has been pumping out the beans for a while and I have sent some to the US.I posted a pic a while ago.

They are very productive.

Good to know Sharon is only three crocodile bites away from you. She is a permaculture guru.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 11:41:12 AM »

Turns out they are also known as Christmas lima beans which can be found easily from USA sources such as >>>>>>  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3872.m570.l1313&_nkw=CHRISTMAS+LIMA+BEAN&_sacat=0&_from=R40

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 03:10:30 PM »
Zands,

Thanks for the info, just ordered some Christimas lima beans. Going to see how they do for me.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 03:29:41 PM »
I am also going to grow some and among other veggies  :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 04:51:31 PM »
Thank you very much.  I'll have to get some for the spring garden.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 05:54:45 PM »
Thank you very much.  I'll have to get some for the spring garden.

You and nullzero are both welcome
@jackfruitwhisperer ---- They look like good beans due to being a perennial in hotter climates. I hear the plant lasts three or four years in hotter climates. Will die after three or four years
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 05:57:53 PM by zands »

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Perennial Madagascar bean AKA seven year Lima bean AKA Christmas lima bean
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 06:34:59 PM »
Panda Lima beans are also good ones that seem to grow the same way.
Chooks and dogs like to eat them as they emerge, so keep them protected from animals.
Byron has a great coastal climate. It doesnt get too hot and doesnt get frost, so the beans can live on for years. A few kms inland there are quite regular frosts that knock plants back and a heavy frost that kills many younger trees once a decade or so.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »
Panda Lima beans are also good ones that seem to grow the same way.
Chooks and dogs like to eat them as they emerge, so keep them protected from animals.
Byron has a great coastal climate. It doesnt get too hot and doesnt get frost, so the beans can live on for years. A few kms inland there are quite regular frosts that knock plants back and a heavy frost that kills many younger trees once a decade or so.

Are also known as panda's eye beans, also known as panda kidney beans. I don't see any US sellers. Do they look like this?
http://www.21food.com/products/panda-bean-33343.html

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 07:17:28 PM »
Yeah. I think its just a darker maroon version of the regular one that can appear almost black.
Its beans can sometimes look similar to the Kidney Bean known as Panda Bean, Yin Yang Bean, Orca Bean, Calypso Bean.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »
Yeah. I think its just a darker maroon version of the regular one that can appear almost black.
Its beans can sometimes look similar to the Kidney Bean known as Panda Bean, Yin Yang Bean, Orca Bean, Calypso Bean.

YinYang beans are available in USA. I can see how it also got the name "Panda's eye" bean. Thanks much for the leads :) 8). Also a bit of the yin-yang symbol in it
http://parkseed.com/shell-bean-yin-yang/p/05043-PK-P1/

Also can find on eBay under "Yin Yang" and "Calypso" bean  >>>>  http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=yin%20yang%20bean&clk_rvr_id=415832561157

Here is an interesting item eBay threw at me>>>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zapotec-Pleated-tomato-Incan-heirloom-30-seeds-loves-heat-drought-tolerant-/160893933312?_trksid=p2045573.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555001%26algo%3DPW.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D146%26meid%3D3721052687154849451%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D1079%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D280729121378%26
Zapotec Pleated tomato Incan heirloom-30 seeds-loves heat drought-tolerant

This less watery tomato will maybe be more insect resistant in Florida?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:10:54 PM by zands »